Mistakes in the names of Polish units

Crotou
Colonel

Re: Mistakes in the names of Polish units

Postby Crotou » Mon 22 May 2017 15:17

Random wrote:The real problem is that STRZELCY are the same as osttruppen in terms of equipement and availability, only 1 guy more, not disheartened and 5 points (=25% ) cheaper.

Lets hope that is not in the game anymore by release.

It seems Eugen is not going to balance units all over the board like they did in Wargame. They are going to balance units inside their own divisions. Thus, same or similar units won't be priced the same way depending on the division those units belong to.

This is linked to the fact each division has its own income rate.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Mon 22 May 2017 16:12

Crotou wrote:
Random wrote:The real problem is that STRZELCY are the same as osttruppen in terms of equipement and availability, only 1 guy more, not disheartened and 5 points (=25% ) cheaper.

Lets hope that is not in the game anymore by release.

It seems Eugen is not going to balance units all over the board like they did in Wargame. They are going to balance units inside their own divisions. Thus, same or similar units won't be priced the same way depending on the division those units belong to.

This is linked to the fact each division has its own income rate.

I know and I like that, however this unit would be so strong that it would make the entire division too strong in 1v1 I assumed. Since then I learned that apparently they have a shit MG, so who knows, we will see.

However, things like cheap, effective infantry just makes many decks flat out unplayable in 1v1, if it is overdone, since it is just too hard to overcome something like that, on most maps.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Mon 22 May 2017 17:01

I put all my hopes in FLX's natural skill of balancing things.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 24 May 2017 11:05

Back to OP's topic: anymore Polish typo to report, now that the game (and Polish division) is released?

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Wed 24 May 2017 12:24

"1. Pancerna" should be just "1 Pancerna".

Many people write it as 1. out of habit, but Polish language rules allow writing without the period if there is no confusion as to whether it's supposed to be a main or an ordinal numeral, and when talking about military unit names the only situation in which it could possibly be confuisng is in acronyms. "1 Pancerna", with capital P in Pancerna, will mean "Pierwsza Pancerna" in any possible context, and official rules of the Polish military is to write it with just a number, you can see that for example on units' seals.

Example seal: https://cdnphoto.dobroni.pl/foto_forum/84596-1.jpg
5 Pułk Kawalerii, no period.

The rules still apply today and you can also see it on websites of various units:
http://6bpd.wp.mil.pl/pl/index.html
http://11ldkpanc.wp.mil.pl/pl/index.html

"D-CA DRAGONÓW" is still called "D-CA DRAGONI".

"CRUSADER AA Mk.2" bothers me, shouldn't it be "Mk.II"?

Side note, Polish voice lines are great, love them. "My Pierwsza Brygada"... and finally a game without "sirs"!

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Wed 24 May 2017 13:09

Yup, that D-ca Dragoni still there. Will re-check last time at evening.

Though I'm still bugged by those imperial values instead of metric ones,especially with artillery. Think also the Bren Carrier could be translated as Transporter Bren.

Any word on Achilles in phase A? Its in B currently, either one could be moved to A or the division description in deck building needs to be fixed as atm it states opposite.

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Wed 24 May 2017 14:43

We should treat Carrier (and Scout Car etc) as proper names, they shouldn't be translated IMO.

morticore
Private

Postby morticore » Wed 24 May 2017 15:48

HaryPL wrote: Think also the Bren Carrier could be translated as Transporter Bren.

In all of the memoirs of Polish troops I have they are still reffered as Carriers.
How about turning Jeep into the... łazik :D

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 24 May 2017 17:54

morticore wrote:
HaryPL wrote: Think also the Bren Carrier could be translated as Transporter Bren.

In all of the memoirs of Polish troops I have they are still referred as Carriers.
How about turning Jeep into the... łazik :D

I don't know for the Poles specifically, but "Free" volunteers (Belgian, French, Scandinavians, ...) had a strong tendency to use the British words, especially since they were using them with their Commonwealth counterparts.
French only referred to the M10 as "TD" and all armored car were "Scout Cars". I suspect the Poles would do the same ...

Regarding the Achilles, it was changed shortly before release, due to the last testing.
It was considered a bit of an overkill. We'll see how the division fares before considering its eventual (even partial) returns.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 24 May 2017 18:23

[EUG]MadMat wrote:French only referred to the M10 as "TD"

Speaking of, why is the M10A1 Destroyer not an M10A1 or an M10A1 Tank Destroyer? Just using one word feels weird to me, it makes it seem like Destroyer is the name of the vehicle rather than a (partial) description of its role. You don't seem to mind name overlaps any more so that's not the reason.
What if Wargame stuck to timeframe?

Return to “General Discussions”