Steel Division sales...

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Steel Division sales...

Postby Grosnours » Wed 21 Jun 2017 07:25

Well, I can't agree with the slow units being a bad thing.
In Close Combat (the closest game that comes to the top of my mind), units are not that fast either, slower even.
It also mechanically reduces the risks of rushes and never appears in all the complaints levied against the game nobody ever wished for the squads of Usain Bolts you have in wargame.
Notwithstanding it's a completely different thing to have a slow unit and a responsive unit.

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Wed 21 Jun 2017 07:55

Grosnours wrote:never appears in all the complaints levied against the game
then I'm not sure where you're looking.
Grosnours wrote:mechanically reduces the risks of rushes
with "realistic" roads, it also makes for less dynamic, non connected lanes.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Wed 21 Jun 2017 08:21

Grosnours wrote:Well, I can't agree with the slow units being a bad thing.
In Close Combat (the closest game that comes to the top of my mind), units are not that fast either, slower even.

I haven't played close combat. It only has 43 reviews on steam, so I guess it's hardly a blockbuster. The fact that it has even slower units and even lower play counts is then (weak) evidence against slow units being good for player count.

Grosnours wrote:It also mechanically reduces the risks of rushes and never appears in all the complaints levied against the game nobody ever wished for the squads of Usain Bolts you have in wargame.

I absolutely approve of the squads of Usain Bolts in wargame. Infantry is the main way to push, and having them slow makes defending that much easier, as it gives more time to shell them, shoot them, bomb them and forces the attacker to risk his tanks for longer while covering the push. I also wonder what rushes you're talking about, I've done things as silly as zptu-rushing but (dismounted??) infantry rushing sounds outlandish.

Grosnours wrote:Notwithstanding it's a completely different thing to have a slow unit and a responsive unit.

I know what responsiveness is. I used to play a lot of MMOs back in the day and a big difference between WoW and the competition was that everything was crisp in WoW, you'd click a skill and it would activate immediately instead of 0.1s later. It was hard to even consciously identify the problem when playing the worse alternatives, but the game somehow felt so much better. That's the pure responsiveness. RD has always had a problem with it, every order has half a second of input lag. It's not a thing players can usually point out but I think everyone's enjoyment is influenced by it.

On top of that, SD also has units that take forever to complete your orders, which I think is ultimately the same type of problem with the same consequences.

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Wed 21 Jun 2017 11:46

Really ?!
How old are you ?
Close Combat is a goddamn cornerstone of ww2 tactical games, a series that span over 20 years. You want to sell a RTS with a ww2 setting, you better know your classics because your user base will know them.
As a sidenote, I do wonder how much SD managed to reach the audience of CC.

For the rest, we obviously have a radically different view on things and I don't think there's much to discuss here as I tend to call cheese what you call normal gameplay.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Wed 21 Jun 2017 12:32

Grosnours wrote:Really ?!
How old are you ?
Close Combat is a goddamn cornerstone of ww2 tactical games, a series that span over 20 years. You want to sell a RTS with a ww2 setting, you better know your classics because your user base will know them.

You could get away with a LOT of mechanical blunders in old games. It was a new frontier and nobody knew what works, so it was a time of experimentation.

I'm not that old, as you've guessed. In the past I was willing to put up with a lot of issues, both mechanically and technologically. In my teens I used to play GTA: Vice City a lot. There was a loading screen between the two halves of the map that took 20 minutes to load - and this is no exaggeration, I could go for dinner and come back and it would still be loading. Yet I still played the game a lot, and when we years later we upgraded to 512mb RAM the problem went away. What % of gamers do you think would put up with that today?

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Wed 21 Jun 2017 12:57

I'm almost old enough to have served in WW2...this damned keyboard keeps slipping off my walking frame.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

Panzerspahwagen85
Warrant Officer

Postby Panzerspahwagen85 » Sat 24 Jun 2017 13:36

24-hour peak for the last day didn't even break 1000 players. It only beat Red Dragon by 25...
If you look at the graphs it gets even worse, you'd have 1000 players disappear in a single day.

Obviously you can have different players use the game on different days, thus skewing the statistics a little; but the outlook for SD is GRIM.

Personally I uninstalled it and installed RD again, they both have issues; but RD is atleast fun.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Sat 24 Jun 2017 14:25

I'm on the other hand have not much problems with gaming SD.
There aren't many lobbies open yes, but when I host on,e or decide to join one, it fills up and start pretty quickly; surely not a lobby simulator as RD.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Sat 24 Jun 2017 19:45

I'd say the shrinking player population is due the fact the game is made and marketed toward a more niche crowd in the strategy genre. Your average joe is either going to be someone with a short attention span or someone who doesn't have enough time in there life to dedicate themselves to more than one game. You have people who are accustomed to play in a different style, like twitch gamers whose idea of a strategy game is starcraft.

Erich Honecker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Erich Honecker » Sat 24 Jun 2017 19:58

DED GAME

Return to “General Discussions”