Aerial Recon

Scolopax
Sergeant Major

Aerial Recon

Postby Scolopax » Fri 2 Jun 2017 03:24

Wanting to prompt a discussion to see what people's thoughts are on recon planes and their use. I haven't played the game too much yet, but I am debating whether they are worth a plane slot, especially in armored battlegroups. I feel that my ground recon is usually sufficient and that the skies become too dangerous for them by phase C and even B. The one thing I do see about them that's desirable is that you can spot and monitor the enemy's opening, which could help a lot in phase A.

captaincarnage
Major

Re: Aerial Recon

Postby captaincarnage » Fri 2 Jun 2017 04:24

They're pretty useless IMO, too slow, too fragile and usually a waste of a deck slot.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

PzAz04Maus
Lieutenant

Postby PzAz04Maus » Fri 2 Jun 2017 06:45

They seem decent for getting a spotter close to an enemy's defenses, check behind his bushes in the early game, but enemy AA or ASF concentrations overrule them in Phases B and C.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 2 Jun 2017 08:04

We need RAF mustang I and IA armed recon

Saavedra
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Saavedra » Fri 2 Jun 2017 09:39

They give you an early advantage in the game that can snowball if the enemy has no AA in his opening, or you have the appropriate forces to exploit the recon. That is it. Do not underrate them or overrate them.

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Fri 2 Jun 2017 11:41

They are slightly overpriced. However, if you know you're facing some specific opponents (like the Scots who'll most certainly take an AVRE, or the french that can spam you with fast light armour at the start), you can use them in combination with canon planes (Hs 129 B1/3 or Stuka G) to devastating effect for his initial strategy.

IMO they should be around the 70 points cost mark (100 still for the Rosie).

They're also pretty good "fighter baits".
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

CUALEB_Operator
Corporal

Postby CUALEB_Operator » Fri 2 Jun 2017 12:24

Could be a bit more affordable if it is in recon tab.

They seem to be the equivalent of recon helos in wargame, pretty good at scoutting ahead at game opening, but way too costy for that purpose.

D-M

Postby D-M » Fri 2 Jun 2017 16:02

The rosie is nice little suprise if your opponent is rushing a city and uses trucks. And it allows you to arty his face while keeping your ground recon pretty safe. Used alongside a ground attack plane it's pretty devastating but it mostly loose its usefulness past phase A.
One card is plenty enough.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sat 3 Jun 2017 01:37

Great in singleplayer. Not so much anywhere else. They're slow and get shot down very easily, not to mention how they turn tail the second AAA opens up on them. Too easy to counter with too little payoff.