One reason why I haven't got this game

Yakhont
Colonel

One reason why I haven't got this game

Postby Yakhont » Mon 26 Jun 2017 09:57

I dont know if this has been expressed yet, but i only started to realise why I have been apprehensive about SD.

SD is published by Paradox Entertainment and is somewhat notorious for having a DLC heavy strategy leading to many DLC pieces of content exceeding the price of the original game. This is not to say it is good or bad, but combined with Eugen's recent behaviour is cause for concern.

Eugen has a relatively uncontroversial history with DLC, and perhaps being extremely conservative. RUSE had 3 DLC packs, adding maps, missions and a new Nation, and I was pretty happy with it and cant remember any complaints about it. EE and ALB had pretty generous DLC content, especially considering the games industry at that time, which was turning to more paid pieces of content not amounting to an expansion, whereas Eugen stuck with the earlier tradition of providing new maps and weapons/units.

RD was a turning point however. Early on Eugen continued providing additional content, but after AoA seeming lack of enthusiasm, Nation DLC was released. Netherlands was benign but Israel, Yugo and Finland had many balance problems some of which remain to this day. Arguably, these Nations were given better stats that they cost ingame or deserved IRL and therefore were purposely included to make them very attractive to buy, benefitting Eugen financially.

I must stress I am not against companies and especially Eugen making money. As a fan I enjoyed their games and hope they can continue to make games and profit from it. However knowing this trend of behaviour SD has a high potential to become a DLC heavy game, with OP divisions being offered in escalating capabilities. This leads to the logical conclusion that I should wait for the game to mature or not buy it at all.
Last edited by Yakhont on Wed 28 Jun 2017 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Erich Honecker
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: One reason why I haven't got this game

Postby Erich Honecker » Mon 26 Jun 2017 10:11

One reason why I haven't got this game - no ringtones at release

Also game is ded

Nationalfeiertag
Corporal

Postby Nationalfeiertag » Mon 26 Jun 2017 10:27

I would be glad to buy various Aces packs, division reskins, campaigns, mission and whatnot. It's harmless and desirable.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Tue 27 Jun 2017 22:01

When the original Killing Floor was the thing to play, I loved buying the DLCs for it when it was just cosmetic packs. I rarely if ever used any of the skins, I just got them to support the dev team. With how much I played the game, I was perfectly happy to show my support by buying up whatever DLC they released. Of course, they kinda went away from that with the weapons packs.

Now that I've recently gotten into Paradox games with Cities:Skylines and Stellaris, the things I'm noticing with DLC being so heavy is a bit... yeah. My biggest reason for not getting SDN is simply because WW2 doesn't excite me much, but I've also kinda wondered if EUGEN would pick up on the Paradox DLC treatment as well. I doubt EUGEN will, but it is a fair concern.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Tue 27 Jun 2017 22:02

So far, Red Dragon has more dubious dlc's of questionable authenticity and a side order of cancer than Steel Division does and to be fair is ever likely to have imo.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Wed 28 Jun 2017 02:38

First World problems: Too many paid DLC packs...

Miskyavine
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Miskyavine » Wed 28 Jun 2017 03:31

McNash wrote:First World problems: Too many paid DLC packs...
More like second world problems like being able to own a PC but having to pirate OS because you cant afford an actual copy of the key becauses its 100$ USD wich is probably a couple pay checks in second world currencies like the Ruble or Yuan so games with a ton of DLC is also gonna be a problem there. First world standards of life are really nice.

Nationalfeiertag wrote:I would be glad to buy various Aces packs, division reskins, campaigns, mission and whatnot. It's harmless and desirable.
Id buy several divIsions like 82nd Airborne and 1st and 29th Infantry maybe 2nd armored. I completely agree DLC can be made to be non necesary but cool to have and only expand the game without leaving people who dont have it in the dust.
How i feel when reading the OFF TOPIC section of the forums http://imgur.com/gallery/t9IXqDs

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 28 Jun 2017 05:06

Miskyavine wrote:
Nationalfeiertag wrote:I would be glad to buy various Aces packs, division reskins, campaigns, mission and whatnot. It's harmless and desirable.
Id buy several divIsions like 82nd Airborne and 1st and 29th Infantry maybe 2nd armored. I completely agree DLC can be made to be non necesary but cool to have and only expand the game without leaving people who dont have it in the dust.

If all divisions had their own "skins" but you could add more divisions using another as a base but with a different skin? Yeah I'd probably jump full into SDN the moment the BRO was released.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 28 Jun 2017 10:05

Let's clarify a few things ...

This is Rumor Control. Here are the facts!

Yakhont wrote:RD was a turning point however. Early on Eugen continued providing additional content, but after AoA did not do very well and presumably did not meet internal expectations there was a turn to Nation DLC. Netherlands was benign but Israel, Yugo and Finland had many balance problems some of which remain to this day. Arguably, these Nations were given better stats that they cost or deserved IRL and therefore were purposely included to make them very attractive to buy, benefitting Eugen financially.

I've stated it times and times before, so let's consider this a last correction: next time I read somebody making statement on our behalf regarding internal "politics", I'll ban him.

RD's Nation Packs are unrelated to AoA. They were decided during AoA's production, but only started after the latter's release when devs & GDs were available again. And it was decided from the start that if the concept proved valid, we could add more ...

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Wed 28 Jun 2017 14:26

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Let's clarify a few things ...

This is Rumor Control. Here are the facts!

Yakhont wrote:RD was a turning point however. Early on Eugen continued providing additional content, but after AoA did not do very well and presumably did not meet internal expectations there was a turn to Nation DLC. Netherlands was benign but Israel, Yugo and Finland had many balance problems some of which remain to this day. Arguably, these Nations were given better stats that they cost or deserved IRL and therefore were purposely included to make them very attractive to buy, benefitting Eugen financially.

I've stated it times and times before, so let's consider this a last correction: next time I read somebody making statement on our behalf regarding internal "politics", I'll ban him.

RD's Nation Packs are unrelated to AoA. They were decided during AoA's production, but only started after the latter's release when devs & GDs were available again. And it was decided from the start that if the concept proved valid, we could add more ...

I enjoyed them, despite being a bit off the realism. However, since you're here... what's going on at yours? Anything Wargame related to be unveiled soon? Are you guys happy with how SD turned out?
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

Return to “General Discussions”