"When the river runs deep" update is now available!

PapaYankee
Sergeant First-Class

"When the river runs deep" update is now available!

Postby PapaYankee » Wed 9 Aug 2017 16:14

Developed with the help of selected members of our community, the 3rd major update for Steel Division: Normandy 44 is now available! "When the river runs deep" focuses on enhancing the game experience through several meta changes, it adds a new map variant & new fancy thumbnails for several machine gun units, enhances modding, and greatly improves the game's stability.

This patch focuses on some general unit issues, not on specific divisions. A next update, dedicated to individual divisions' balance, is on the way, and will still be developed with the help of our community.

Note for modders: You will need to generate and upload your mod to make it compatible with this new version.

Here's the changelog:

Meta:
  • Infantry takes much less suppression while moving and can fire on the move with rifles, making assaults and maneuver easier to achieve.
  • Veterancy bonus of unit with 2 and 3 stars toned down. Each level brings a smaller bonus than the previous instead of a constant cumulative value. Accuracy bonus remains +1 per level.
  • Infantry flamethrowers power reduced drastically.
  • Anti aircraft weapons lethality globally increased.
  • Veteran and Elite planes dodge bonus removed.

New map variant:
  • New 1v1 & 2v2/3v3 variant of Odon map.

Upgrades:
  • New thumbnails for several machine gun units.
  • New thumbnails for Carpiquet & Sainte-Mère-Église variants.
  • It is now possible to give attack orders through objective panel in the single player campaigns' missions.

Modding:
  • Improved localization options (maps' name, campaign texts, options).
  • Improved outdated mod detection (avoid to ask for unnecessary update).
  • Added a backup feature for mods. Every upload will now generate a backup.
  • Updated modding manual and added some template helpers.
  • Added a pop-up on the next launch after a crash to disable all mod.
  • Added a less intrusive pop-up for outdated mods.

Fixes:
  • Fixed the display of points scored when destroying enemy units in Destruction mode.
  • Fixed some crashes occurring when changing graphic options.
  • Fixed a crash while canceling a ranked game, what caused a loss of ELO points.
  • Fixed freezes occurring when deactivating some sound devices during a game.
  • Fixed a freeze occurring when launching a Quick Load (F8 key) while there is no quick save available.
  • Fixed some mods compatibility problems after downloading a patch.
  • Fixed a rare crash occurring when watching a replay from an older version of the game.
  • Fixed some disconnection problems in 10v10 games.
  • Fixed a bug when the game did not respond anymore after turning sound on/off with an audio device.
  • Fixed some other rare crashes.
  • Fixed some pathfinding problems.
  • Fixed the display of the AI income in hard and very hard in each phase in the score panel.
  • Fixed the motor sound of the Schwimmwagen and Kubelwagen.
  • Fixed the firing sound of the SdKfz 251/21.
  • Fixed a bug when some infantry units were consuming smoke grenade ammunitions while attacking enemy vehicles with hand grenades at short-range.
  • Fixed a bug when an armored unit could sometimes turn its front armor toward an enemy it did not see.

More details on Steam.

Have fun!

Crotou
Colonel

Re: "When the river runs deep" update is now available!

Postby Crotou » Wed 9 Aug 2017 16:19

Sounds really good, especially the vet bonuses nerf! Can't wait to test it!

Just one disappointment : the new Odon 1v1. Just like Blitz in EE. Bleh. :evil:

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Wed 9 Aug 2017 16:48

PapaYankee wrote:Meta:
  • Infantry takes much less suppression while moving and can fire on the move with rifles, making assaults and maneuver easier to achieve.
  • Veterancy bonus of unit with 2 and 3 stars toned down. Each level brings a smaller bonus than the previous instead of a constant cumulative value. Accuracy bonus remains +1 per level.
  • Infantry flamethrowers power reduced drastically.
  • Anti aircraft weapons lethality globally increased.
  • Veteran and Elite planes dodge bonus removed.

This really looks like a step into the right direction. Not enough to bring me back for good, but now I am looking forward to the division balance patch and hope for similarly significant improvements!

TheRev
First Sergeant

Postby TheRev » Thu 10 Aug 2017 13:30

This is a copy paste of my steam comment:

My personal opinion on the patch is the Eugen seem lost, they really seem to be stuck as to who they're trying to build this game for.

The flamethrower nerf was dumb. Yes AB Engineers and the like were strong, but they were strong where they were meant to be, in forests and towns! They really weren't that hard to counter! I have won ranked 1v1s on Bois de Limors where i have completely ignored the forest and just gone around. Nerfing units because you might play on a map where they are supposed to be strong is crazy! That is like nerfing panthers because you might play on the airfield...
Flame throwers were tough for new players and that is it. Two man flame unites are now unusable.

So Eugen if you are building this game for new players then great patch, but in that case you might want to think of a way to get in new players.

Also I am sorry, but why on earth did this patch require splitting the player base (even if just a few 'elite' players) to beta test it? I really do struggle to understand some of the decisions made by this development team, which is really frustrating because this is an amazing game, being held back by terrible decision making.

Edit: I'd just like to add that my biggest grip with this game before the patch was the crackly audio bug, which this patch has not fixed what so ever.

KampfKeksKrieger
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KampfKeksKrieger » Thu 10 Aug 2017 14:18

I must never update my game anymore. This update is a totally no-go.
Seems like I must grow up a new dev now. A life without luck is fore some people a better life.
We dont support a totally trick out of everything, really EVERYTHING that was worth to play the game.

I take back all my support there is no back. I take my prey out of this.
I dont feel any hope for you, I must disband you from your workplaces.
Paris burns, and this game burns, too. I suggest you to find a new work, eugens.
We will now secure the fallen and take what we deserve. This is a hero to zero that you can never revert, even if you revert the game. I have no mercy here. You removed something that you must not remove by everything that is worth to live.
You just lost your last and only energy source. Whatever comes, this sentence is final.

Noway
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Noway » Thu 10 Aug 2017 15:35

KampfKeksKrieger wrote:I must never update my game anymore. This update is a totally no-go.
Seems like I must grow up a new dev now. A life without luck is fore some people a better life.
We dont support a totally trick out of everything, really EVERYTHING that was worth to play the game.

Paris burns, and this game burns, too. I suggest you to find a new work, eugens.
We will now secure the fallen and take what we deserve. This is a hero to zero that you can never revert, even if you revert the game. I have no mercy here. You removed something that you must not remove by everything that is worth to live.
You just lost your last and only energy source. Whatever comes, this sentence is final.

Where is MM and his Doombanner when he is needed?!

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Thu 10 Aug 2017 15:58

So dumb that it doesn't warrant it?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 11 Aug 2017 04:36

HaryPL wrote:So dumb that it doesn't warrant it?

But really, what the hell was that?
Courtesy of KattiValk

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Fri 11 Aug 2017 19:20

Idk, someone has already swapped his brain for shit and now is using his mouth as anus?

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Fri 11 Aug 2017 23:34

KampfKeksKrieger wrote:I must never update my game anymore. This update is a totally no-go.

Wut?
I hope your buratino's die screaming.