How do hero units and other aesthetics affect vanilla compatibility?

KattiValk
General

How do hero units and other aesthetics affect vanilla compatibility?

Postby KattiValk » Thu 8 Jun 2017 08:24

I'm not sure as of yet (haven't looked), how aesthetics are implemented, so I would like to know exactly what would be compatible with vanilla and/or other mods and what would be necessary for me to make them compatible. I have noticed the game now likely monitors desyncs as I have been given a draw in Ranked for a 0:00 game despite never actually dropping from a Ranked match before. Avoiding this would be preferable.

Specifically:
-hero units: these are entirely aesthetic but do operate in a way that somewhat concerns me as far as desyncs go. Is it possible to create new hero units and giving them the appropriate new branding without losing vanilla compatibility?
-voice lines: I am planning on modifying an existing division to be completely rebranded and reworked so voice lines are quite important. Will making entirely new files for the game to reference be possible without breaking compatibility? Would I have to create an entirely new nation to facilitate this?
-new models and textures for shared units: Things like Shermans and Panzer IVs share models across divisions, so would retexturing an existing model to be something unique require a new file, and will I be able to make a new model for a unit that shares models with something currently without affecting the latter?

The main idea or goal of the mod I'm planning is to essentially completely visually (and audio) overhaul a division currently in the game, and I was apprehensive as to where this was possible to maintain with vanilla compatibility? At which point must the game's reference files match vanilla to not cause desync?

Hulor
Sergeant First-Class

Re: How do hero units and other aesthetics affect vanilla compatibility?

Postby Hulor » Thu 8 Jun 2017 10:21

Hi,

Currently every mod altering gameplay/everything is considered as incompatible with vanilla and other mod.
KattiValk wrote:-hero units: these are entirely aesthetic but do operate in a way that somewhat concerns me as far as desyncs go. Is it possible to create new hero units and giving them the appropriate new branding without losing vanilla compatibility?

If you create a new Ace unit, you will alterate gameplay/everything, by doing so you will lose vanilla compability.
KattiValk wrote:-voice lines: I am planning on modifying an existing division to be completely rebranded and reworked so voice lines are quite important. Will making entirely new files for the game to reference be possible without breaking compatibility? Would I have to create an entirely new nation to facilitate this?

If you modify a complete division you will lose your vanilla compatibility too.
KattiValk wrote:-new models and textures for shared units: Things like Shermans and Panzer IVs share models across divisions, so would retexturing an existing model to be something unique require a new file, and will I be able to make a new model for a unit that shares models with something currently without affecting the latter?

You can create a new model for units sharing their models across different divisions. It will be a little harder than just retexturing the unite but not impossible. You will have to change its Depiction file and its resourceMultiMaterialMesh (GameData/Gameplay/Gfx/Units/[Country]/[UnitType]/).

About this desync, did you have an active mod when it happened?

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 8 Jun 2017 17:21

Hulor wrote:see above
Oh, so can we really not run vanilla friendly reskin mods now?

The desync was without any mods. It was a Ranked match, though IDK which one. I've heard other have had this issue.

Hulor
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Hulor » Thu 8 Jun 2017 17:28

Well a simple reskin will not affect your compatibility with vanilla version, but you only can reskin standard units (Aced versions are not provided and every unit sharing the same models will have the new skin). I thought you wanted to add new unit or new meshes, sorry about that.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Thu 8 Jun 2017 20:40

Hulor wrote:Well a simple reskin will not affect your compatibility with vanilla version, but you only can reskin standard units (Aced versions are not provided and every unit sharing the same models will have the new skin). I thought you wanted to add new unit or new meshes, sorry about that.
How will ace units be incompatible then? If I say, made a rifle card have a hero unit, won't it not actually affect the game at all?

eMeM
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby eMeM » Thu 8 Jun 2017 22:08

I guess it's because hero units aren't pure cosmetics from the game's viewpoint, the information that you are using a hero unit is sent to other players, so their clients not recognizing the hero would cause desync.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Fri 9 Jun 2017 03:24

eMeM wrote:I guess it's because hero units aren't pure cosmetics from the game's viewpoint, the information that you are using a hero unit is sent to other players, so their clients not recognizing the hero would cause desync.
Would a purely cosmetic thing actually cause desync though? What would the game's reaction be?

Hulor
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Hulor » Fri 9 Jun 2017 10:08

KattiValk wrote:How will ace units be incompatible then? If I say, made a rifle card have a hero unit, won't it not actually affect the game at all?

Well some gameplay information are stored in the mesh, so if you change a unit's mesh you will alterate gameplay.

KattiValk wrote:Would a purely cosmetic thing actually cause desync though? What would the game's reaction be?

A purely cosmetic mod will not cause desync, if it does then it's not a purely cosmetic mod and you have been deceived.