The SDN44 Sandbox Mod (under construction)

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

The SDN44 Sandbox Mod (under construction)

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 9 Jun 2017 05:28

Reserved.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

Lieutenant General

Re: The SDN44 Sandbox Mod (under construction)

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 9 Jun 2017 06:03

Hello,

Tomorrow morning, I leave for a trip to the other side of the world, where I will have no access to my desktop where my modding work is. Unfortunately, I will be there for six whole weeks, and I was working very hard for the past couple of days to try to at least get something workable to leave fans (and that one anonymous person who gifted me Steel Division) with at least something. However, I was not able to get even a working draft on.

Steel Division modding has been presenting a number of very different problems for me:

1. The modding tool is of an extremely different nature, being more code-based than table-based and having some different organization. (Thanks enohka for all of your had work that made Wargame modding possible in the first place!) In Wargame, where I could simple change the number for the maxAvailibility to 999, doing the same thing for Steel Division is copy/pasting 7-8 lines 998 times, for each of the 681 units.

2. Though the first reason is slowing development down, there is one larger problem, and that is trying to find what you guys want. In the past, I have been able to make multiple version of Sandbox in a single version to suit many people's needs by having options in the installer or doing some coalition work-arounds. However, Steam Workshop is a rather rigid system, where I can only provide one mode of installation. Now, with a very different gameplay style and new possibilities offered by the official Modding Tools, I must choose if I would want to incorporate instant plane-reload, infinite availability or just infinite card slots, removal of phases, new sandbox divisions, infinite supplies, instant unit spawn, all-seeing recon planes, healing abilities, one mod on the workshop or multiple, etc. This by far will be the largest challenge because I can only to "one size fits many" instead of a "one size first all" approach.

3. Lastly, is the lifespan of the mod. With so many niches that may be filled with Sandbox-type mods in the divisive Steam Workshop, I don't know how long this mod will get the good community support that I have been lucky to receive for W:RD. Eventually, updates and popular demand might die out.

I just wanted to leave an update for those who are so patiently waiting for the mod. I think I will be coming up with a poll to combat problem 2 so be on the lookout for that.
In the meanwhile, the Not Cheats, Availibility x2, and Straight to the Fight! mods on the Steam Workshop each change one aspect of the Sandbox Mod and so it is a temporary alternative until the ETA of early-September, 2017.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 9 Jun 2017 09:07

I was working on this after I typed it, and I finally finished my Python script to make every unit in the game have a certain availability. This is for modders who want to make their own version of sandbox while the real Sandbox takes a 6-week hiatus. The script is not the most organized, I am just pasting what I have because it is 2 in the morning here. For Python 3.6.1.

https://bpaste.net/show/728656f440b3

Life-Line
Private

Postby Life-Line » Fri 9 Jun 2017 11:28

Noob, the people here understand that this isn't your job, but more of a hobby. I see no reason to expect a full on mod that rivals your W:RD one that was on an established ( been out for a while) game. Not only that but since it's still a "new" title and there have been updates rolling on and off sometimes by week, I don't see the reason to try and keep up with that until they nail down there bug and balance hunts so the game sits long enough for the general mod to stay relevant.

TL:DR
Take the time you want. I know I will still be here and I bet there is quite a few others as well.

lastcrusade101
Sergeant First-Class

Postby lastcrusade101 » Tue 13 Jun 2017 00:29

I second that post. Take your time, like you said there are some alternatives for us that are waiting. Enjoy your vacation!
120 Smooth-bore > 120 Rifled

lastcrusade101
Sergeant First-Class

Postby lastcrusade101 » Fri 18 May 2018 00:22

>Last online 37 days ago on steam

Are you alive
120 Smooth-bore > 120 Rifled