Modding tracer colors, size, etc... need location of ndf file

thebaymonster
Private First-Class

Modding tracer colors, size, etc... need location of ndf file

Postby thebaymonster » Wed 7 Mar 2018 16:00

I am looking to change the tracer color and sizes to be historically accurate down to the individual units. It's a large task to take on, but I am an experienced modder and have completed similar things of this nature before. I know that the tracers are not a constant as defined in the ndf files- obviously because different units have different size tracers, and I also know that there is a variable to change the rgb value, as a few half tracks fire dark orange tracers. In other words, it can be done.

I originally believed that the variables would be located in: GameData\Gameplay\Gfx\Generated\WeaponDescriptor.ndf

The file contains weapons and even several rbg values, but they are all set to 0,0,0,0. Nonetheless, altering the values appears to not change anything in game.

I don't speak the language, and so it's difficult to navigate the ndf files. But I have done past modding such as re-tooling all sfx for the graviteam tactics games, and a visual mod overhaul for hoi4 where Arial units were visually increased and reduced significantly in scale to improve visuals, alongside naval and ground units. I believe this mod would not only improve the eye candy for SD, but would improve competitive game-play as well, as trained eyes could decipher what unknown enemy units were based on the tracers.

If anyone has any idea where the applicable ndf file may be, it would be greatly appreciated.

MrCrisps
Corporal

Re: Modding tracer colors, size, etc... need location of ndf file

Postby MrCrisps » Fri 9 Mar 2018 10:25

I can't really say where are the files you're looking for as it's not my area of knowledge about modding SD, but it's surely not in WeaponDescriptor.ndf.
This file is basically managing the weapon loadouts of the different units with the amount of ammunition they have. That's all.

I think that you'll have more sucesses in finding what you want in the UI folder, where all the image files (called textures there) are.

Hulor
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Modding tracer colors, size, etc... need location of ndf file

Postby Hulor » Mon 26 Mar 2018 12:11

Hi thebaymonster,

Unfortunately FXs are not moddable yet, so ndf files to modify them are not available in the modpack.

Return to “Modding Tools”