Creating new units with new skins

Guardsman111
Private First-Class

Creating new units with new skins

Postby Guardsman111 » Fri 11 May 2018 18:26

Hi,

I'm looking into the specifics of the game files to try to mod the game. I'm the creator of the US Marine Mod and I want to basically split units into two versions - one with the marine skin, the second with the vanilla skin. I've managed to create two new units, the Sherman and a marine squad, both appear in the battlegroups selector fine, however when I try to open one I get a game crashing error. I followed this guide to create them
Spoiler : :
To create new units

1) Copy an existing unit

2) Give it a unique name

3) Give it a unique GUID - see above

4) Add a reference to your new unit in Gameplay\Gfx\Generated\AllUnits.ndf

5) Go to GameData\Gameplay\Gfx\Generated\ShowRoomEquivalence.ndf and add a reference for your new unit. Either reference an existing ShowRoomUnit or create a new one for your new unit
a) To create a new showroom unit go to GameData\Gameplay\Gfx\Generated\ShowRoomUnits.ndf

6) Open GameData\Gameplay\Gfx\Generated\DependencyHelper.ndf and search for the name of the unit you copied e.g. Descriptor_Unit_Churchill_IV_Command. Add a reference to your new unit in all the same places
a) The first reference looks like this: ( Descriptor_Unit_Churchill_IV, "OnProduction_Churchill_IV" ),
I'm not sure what this does yet, so you mean want to keep the new unit referencing the old OnProduction e.g.
( Descriptor_Unit_Churchill_IV_New, "OnProduction_Churchill_IV" ),
b) The other reference are just a question of entering the new unit. These seem to do things like specify which units can surrender, and various other things
, plus delved deeper in the case of infantry into the generated infantry depiction files. As far as I can see, I have adjusted all links for the new units to their new skins and such, but as I said, it just crashes. I've included the crash dump here, something I couldn't get any information from because A) I couldn't open the .bin and B) the dump seems to open in visual studio and not do much else.

If anyone has any other info about this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Files can be posted if requested, but there's rather a lot so haven't included in this first post.
Attachments
CrashRpt_9c5107a0-65c0-43a7-aef6-893b8467550a.zip
(391.39 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Guardsman111
Private First-Class

Re: Creating new units with new skins

Postby Guardsman111 » Sat 12 May 2018 19:50

I solved the issue, i was simply trying to use the original CivMask when i should have been using MeshModded, as covered by a single not so important looking line in the modding manual. Using what i have learned i intend on releasing a more in depth tutorial on the creation of new units, as there is a lack of any solid well formatted and laid out knowledge on this forum. The knowledge is there, its just hard to find it and it can be considered vague.