Will objectives include positions with trenches or strong points or supply dumps?

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Will objectives include positions with trenches or strong points or supply dumps?

Postby Destraex » Sat 12 Jan 2019 01:12

Curious if objectives in the new game mode will give the player an advantage in more ways than one. Another way being that the objective should be worth taking. Have more worth than a simple patch of land.
Holding a town or a hill with a great vantage point is fine. But to hold an objective, what do you do once capturing it? You fortify it.

The longer you hold it the more likely entrenchments and fortifications such as basic barbed wire and sandbags should be options for the player.

In a similar vein it would be great to have supply dumps be objectives. Enabling ammunition, fuel and perhaps even battlefield triage to be applied.

All sorts of interesting things could be added to objectives. Objectives could enable special units such as search light half tracks\infra read half tracks.

Objectives could influence command to release special units to you.

praslovan
Major-General

Re: Will objectives include positions with trenches or strong points or supply dumps?

Postby praslovan » Sun 24 Feb 2019 23:15

Destraex wrote:Curious if objectives in the new game mode will give the player an advantage in more ways than one. Another way being that the objective should be worth taking. Have more worth than a simple patch of land.
Holding a town or a hill with a great vantage point is fine. But to hold an objective, what do you do once capturing it? You fortify it.

The longer you hold it the more likely entrenchments and fortifications such as basic barbed wire and sandbags should be options for the player.

In a similar vein it would be great to have supply dumps be objectives. Enabling ammunition, fuel and perhaps even battlefield triage to be applied.

All sorts of interesting things could be added to objectives. Objectives could enable special units such as search light half tracks\infra read half tracks.

Objectives could influence command to release special units to you.

I wouldn't mind having capture points being more "interactive" and appealing to capture as long as they don't make it substentially harder for you to recapture it withouth enemy having some downsides holding the points as well. It is really hard to turn the tide of battle around in SD as it is. Usually once you screw up, you are done for. I'm ok with that if I do a mistake myself and loose bunch of important units, however, loosing because of some on map buff that I can't blow up or in some other way deny to the enemy when I'm retreating would simply be unfair.

Capture point buffs should not be of the resouce type vital for the battle otherwise they will make showball effect which will make counter attacking too hard/ impossible.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Re: Will objectives include positions with trenches or strong points or supply dumps?

Postby Destraex » Tue 26 Feb 2019 01:02

I just know that in other games objectives without any purpose seemed like penalties for the hell of it.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Tue 26 Feb 2019 19:25

Destraex wrote:I just know that in other games objectives without any purpose seemed like penalties for the hell of it.

Yeah there was this conquest thing is one of the wargames that was horrible. Like circles in the middle of nowhere that you had to capture just because.

I mean they don't have to have considerable buffs. It would be enough to be placed on important places on the map like crossroads, bridges, village that has nice defensive possition on the middle of the map etc. something that you would want to hold anyway, however making it absolutely a must to hold this time around since they are required to win the match.

It would be cool to see the front line move capture points further and further towards enemy side as you advance like World in conflict had it done.

If we are talking about buffs... maybe a nice tall hill or radio tower that would increase visibility of surroundings if held, or maybe slightly decrease call in time for air support etc. Something that does not considerably buff core gameplay mechanic like infinate ammo or repair.

mvp7
Master Sergeant

Postby mvp7 » Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:56

One thing that is often done wrong with capture points is placing them in the middle of a bridge or road rather than to area that offers control over the important area. This kind of issues should be less prominent with they SD front system though.

Maybe there could be some benefits to capturing some objectives but those shouldn't be in the center of the map. If they were deeper in the players' territories they would help ending the game a bit faster after one side has conquered something like 3/4 of the entire map but not decide the game during initial skirmishing.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Postby Destraex » Thu 28 Feb 2019 10:48

I agree. I don't need buffs from them exactly. They should though offer in the campaign some kind of benefit on the strat map.
In skirmish they should perhaps offer some places to dig in or hide in ambush in garages etc over time. Like a really gradual bonus the longer you have units in the cap. So maybe 5-10 minutes allows you to camp up to 5 stugs in houses in ambush. 10-15 might allow some barbed wire if the correct troops (pioneers) have been present that long.