DLC Requirement for Mods

RM34
Private

DLC Requirement for Mods

Postby RM34 » Sun 11 Jul 2021 04:38

Can the DLC requirement for certain mods please be looked at? It artificially stifles larger mods, especially large ones like Red Storm, by placing a very high barrier to entry, that barrier being price. The mod I previously mentioned is a wonderful addition to the game, and has provided me a unique and fun experience throughout all games modes. However, I am only able to participate because I have bought all the DLC. It is not fun for new players to be denied such a wonderful mod because they are not confident enough to buy all the DLC. It also hurts the people who do play the mod because only a fraction of the player base is even allowed to play. Now, I understand that the Devs want to protect their intellectual property, that's entirely fair. Obviously my ideal solution would be to disable the DLC requirement all together. Mods (especially large overhaul ones) cannot be played with people who are on vanilla/another mod, so there will always be an incentive to buy the DLC. The incentive being a larger player base and the ability to use official servers and the QP/Ranked pool. However if this is not possible I do believe there is a compromise to be made which would benefit all parties. That solution would be to limit what DLC is required. Right now Red Storm only uses assets/divs from a handful of DLCs. There are no Western Divisions or assets, no divisions from either the Finnish, Romanian, or paid nemesis packs. Because of this it is unreasonable to require players to buy these packs to play the mod, because it doesn't use them. I hope this issue is looked at, because by lowering the barrier to entry it will not only help the mod. It will also help the game as a whole by bringing in people who don't care for vanilla but who aren't willing to buy all the DLC.

Nilla
Corporal

Re: DLC Requirement for Mods

Postby Nilla » Thu 15 Jul 2021 07:18

RM34 wrote:Can the DLC requirement for certain mods please be looked at? It artificially stifles larger mods, especially large ones like Red Storm, by placing a very high barrier to entry, that barrier being price. The mod I previously mentioned is a wonderful addition to the game, and has provided me a unique and fun experience throughout all games modes. However, I am only able to participate because I have bought all the DLC. It is not fun for new players to be denied such a wonderful mod because they are not confident enough to buy all the DLC. It also hurts the people who do play the mod because only a fraction of the player base is even allowed to play. Now, I understand that the Devs want to protect their intellectual property, that's entirely fair. Obviously my ideal solution would be to disable the DLC requirement all together. Mods (especially large overhaul ones) cannot be played with people who are on vanilla/another mod, so there will always be an incentive to buy the DLC. The incentive being a larger player base and the ability to use official servers and the QP/Ranked pool. However if this is not possible I do believe there is a compromise to be made which would benefit all parties. That solution would be to limit what DLC is required. Right now Red Storm only uses assets/divs from a handful of DLCs. There are no Western Divisions or assets, no divisions from either the Finnish, Romanian, or paid nemesis packs. Because of this it is unreasonable to require players to buy these packs to play the mod, because it doesn't use them. I hope this issue is looked at, because by lowering the barrier to entry it will not only help the mod. It will also help the game as a whole by bringing in people who don't care for vanilla but who aren't willing to buy all the DLC.

Here before MadMat

Return to “Steel Division 2”