The voice of Soviet units.

MaximGhost
First Sergeant

The voice of Soviet units.

Postby MaximGhost » Sun 29 Jul 2018 21:34

I am very glad that in the steel division the Eastern Front will finally appear, but already the image in the announcement (which, as I'm sure will be when loading the game), inspires fears for errors in the display of the Red Army. (Yes, I'm talking about the cap of a Soviet officer and I know that you have already promised to fix this). If you look at the Wargame series, then the most obvious mistakes will be with the voice acting of the units. In Wargame, this has not been corrected during all three games of the series. All the units said "sir", the crews of kamov helicopters who want to test the tail rotor, although there can not be a tail rotor on the helicopters of this design bureau (there is only one exception, and then there was not any), or reconnaissance units claiming that a good scout, this is a dead scout. Although the rest of the voice acting was not bad.
I want in the steel division 2 to avoid such unpleasant little things. Maybe before the release you put the voice acting on the test of the Russian-speaking community? Or at least ask your Russian-speaking betatester to test it very carefully?

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: The voice of Soviet units.

Postby Mister Maf » Mon 30 Jul 2018 23:28

All of those voice lines are generic lines that are used for every language and are an artifact of Eugen's budget and allocation of resources. Yes, everyone thinks the dead scout line is strange and unique voice lines for tandem rotor helicopters would be cool for sure, but these inconsistencies aren't unique to the Russian voiceovers. The unit voice acting in Steel Division I think is pretty good so I'm not super worried about the VOs for round 2. They changed the British transport lines during the SD open beta on account of them sounding "too American", so give them feedback during the inevitable SD2 prelaunch open beta and I suspect any concerns will be addressed.

Zaskow
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Zaskow » Wed 1 Aug 2018 10:22

Any Russian unit voiceover in SD2 would be inauthentic if it's not using a filthy language. :lol:

PapaYankee
Master Sergeant

Postby PapaYankee » Thu 2 Aug 2018 09:50

Zaskow wrote:Any Russian unit voiceover in SD2 would be inauthentic if it's not using a filthy language. :lol:

Noted.

Nationalfeiertag
Corporal

Postby Nationalfeiertag » Thu 2 Aug 2018 16:58

PapaYankee wrote:
Zaskow wrote:Any Russian unit voiceover in SD2 would be inauthentic if it's not using a filthy language. :lol:

Noted.

I really hope you're joking and nothing of a sort will make into a game.

47andrej
Lieutenant

Postby 47andrej » Thu 2 Aug 2018 22:26

Nationalfeiertag wrote:
PapaYankee wrote:

Noted.

I really hope you're joking and nothing of a sort will make into a game.

For some occasions its fully ok. Way better than answering with "Sir..."

PapaKarlo
Private First-Class

Postby PapaKarlo » Sat 4 Aug 2018 01:09

I must say, that on a russian forum where I were frequent at the time games with russian swear words were if not wildly popular, but definitely were praised for it.
The game Cold Fear had a lot of pretty nasty russian swears, that were deleted in localized version. First Far Cry got some attention for interesting phrases in localized version.

Generally we have more layers of "unacceptability" for swears in russian, and it's often argued about that no translation is completely correct without most of really taboo-words.

So maybe if age rating abide, some swears in the heat of battle could be much more authentic.

Aqarius
Sergeant

Postby Aqarius » Wed 22 Aug 2018 17:25

Get this dude to do the lines:

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 26 Aug 2018 15:42

Mister Maf wrote:All of those voice lines are generic lines that are used for every language and are an artifact of Eugen's budget and allocation of resources.

When you launch a game with I guess two nations represented that celebrates one of Russia's greatest military victories over the past centuries, the situation is probably a bit different?

Authentic colloquial Russian can be interesting, for ratings and what not. From what I understand the f-word equivalent is nowadays used for grammatical structure, so even more than certain Finnish dialects made famous in the internet age (mostly for punctuation there). Things were probably different in some respects during the WW2?

KampfKeksKrieger
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby KampfKeksKrieger » Sun 26 Aug 2018 17:21

varis wrote:
Authentic colloquial Russian can be interesting, for ratings and what not. From what I understand the f-word equivalent is nowadays used for grammatical structure, so even more than certain Finnish dialects made famous in the internet age (mostly for punctuation there). Things were probably different in some respects during the WW2?

the filthy language in WW2 was exchanged with vehicles out of steel, because the words could not hold the dirt inside. So in case of any doubts about contingencies just use one of the smoking tanks for 'hello' and 'shut up' with just a singel barrel in often cases.
Very effective! :mrgreen: