Defensive stuff in SD2

nigo_BR
Corporal

Defensive stuff in SD2

Postby nigo_BR » Mon 6 Aug 2018 17:05

It would be cool if possible to put defensive assets (before the match begins OFC) in SD2 like:

*various types of bunkers

*minefields and various singles types of mines

*wire

*MG nests

*tank traps

*wirefields

*dragon's teeth

*belgian gates

*trenchs

*sandbags

OFC these things will cost points and you deploy just one time in the match, so not spamnable.

I believe WW2 had a lot of this defensive stuff in the battlefield, so this request make sense. Bunkers and tank traps were one of the most identify assets in WW2.

Players can make a stronghold position or just put random defenses/cover everywhere. Maybe use Tank traps to block a road. The possibilities are immense. I know about the "turtle" problem with defensive and RTS genre, but Eugen can solve that question.

Remember guys, the game needs PLAYER RETENTION and a lot of players like defensive stuff.

What do you think guys?
Last edited by nigo_BR on Tue 7 Aug 2018 03:08, edited 2 times in total.
Brazil :mrgreen:

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: Defensive stuff in SD2

Postby Mister Maf » Mon 6 Aug 2018 17:10

I oppose anything that makes it harder to attack in a game mechanically built around attacking. Being able to turtle up is lame and slows the game down.

duro909
Lieutenant

Postby duro909 » Mon 6 Aug 2018 19:50

nigo_BR wrote:It would be cool if possible to put defensive assets (before the match begins OFC) in SD2, like various types of bunkers, minefields and various singles types of mines, wire, MG nests, tank traps, wireFields, dragon's teeth, belgian gates, trenchs, sandbags and these type of things.

OFC these things will cost points and you deploy just one time in the match, so not spamnable.

What do you think guys?

please, just not this again...
... and Malware-free banner too!

nigo_BR
Corporal

Postby nigo_BR » Mon 6 Aug 2018 21:40

duro909 wrote:please, just not this again...

Whats the problem with that? I believe WW2 had a lot of this defensive stuff in the battlefield, so this request make sense.

I know about the "turtle" problem with defensive and RTS genre, but Eugen can solve that question. :D

nigo_BR
Corporal

Postby nigo_BR » Tue 7 Aug 2018 02:55

YES WE CAN :twisted:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (906.86 KiB) Viewed 590 times

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Tue 7 Aug 2018 09:12

oh look they're already in the game as map features and not opposing bunkers built 300 yards across from each other like rival corporations in a cartoon, problem solved

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 7 Aug 2018 21:44

Well the entire premise of the Wargame series was meeting engagements.
Courtesy of KattiValk

nigo_BR
Corporal

Postby nigo_BR » Tue 7 Aug 2018 22:42

Mike wrote:Well the entire premise of the Wargame series was meeting engagements.

Maybe players want a engage with defense in-depth or use other tactics. ;)

Remember guys, the game needs PLAYER RETENTION and a lot of players like defensive stuff. Im not asking for turtle tactics, Im asking for a more diverse gameplay options. Defensive tools is a good option for SD2.

plk458
Private

Postby plk458 » Wed 8 Aug 2018 03:20

If bunkers have the same values as in steel division 1 I don't see them having much value or being very desirable to spend points on compared to combat units.
As it stands right now bunkers have a value because they hide infantry, they can do this because they are per-placed so your enemy can only assume infantry is in them from the front line, if players place their own bunkers it will be pretty safe bet that something is in them and its easy enough to blast them from a distance with fire support units.
As for your other suggestions for sandbags, barbwire, trenches and tank traps I doubt they would make for a satisfying experience.
As far as i know the sandbags currently in the game don't even give yellow cover and they defiantly shouldn't give green cover, I doubt many people would bother with them to only get yellow cover which is already a stretch compared to steel division 1.
Trenches maybe could work as green or yellow cover but run into the same issue of player placed bunkers of being obvious targets.
The main value from cover in steel division doesn't come from its damage reduction but its ability to hide units.

Tank traps will be hard to balance between being very frustrating if they are hard to destroy and conveniently block the only 1- 2 roads on a side or absolutely useless if they are easily cleared out.

You make the argument of player retention but the implementation of bunker mechanics that might work at low skill levels and then become completely useless at higher skill levels is more a noob trap and could just as well increase frustration of new players that spend many points on fortifications that better players will easily outplay.

nigo_BR
Corporal

Postby nigo_BR » Wed 8 Aug 2018 11:42

plk458 wrote:You make the argument of player retention but the implementation of bunker mechanics that might work at low skill levels

The majority of players in any game is the low levels crowd.

Player retention is the key here.