Please confirm to me that the front line (blue and red line) system is still being kept.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Please confirm to me that the front line (blue and red line) system is still being kept.

Postby Destraex » Sat 25 Aug 2018 12:58

I love that aspect of the game. I love that you guys want to keep the current system with just a few tweaks. However I do want to confirm that the red and blue lines are being kept.

yossrian22
Corporal

Re: Please confirm to me that the front line (blue and red line) system is still being kept.

Postby yossrian22 » Sun 26 Aug 2018 20:08

That would be a huge NO for me. I will wait for the game to release and if its in im out.

mbetts
Corporal

Re: Please confirm to me that the front line (blue and red line) system is still being kept.

Postby mbetts » Sun 26 Aug 2018 20:23

yossrian22 wrote:That would be a huge NO for me. I will wait for the game to release and if its in im out.

Well, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

duro909
Lieutenant

Postby duro909 » Mon 27 Aug 2018 12:44

Well, It does not matter at all in my opinion.
Are you aware that you can easilly toggle on/off frontlines in SD Normany 44 already?
... and Malware-free banner too!

Senseo1990
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Senseo1990 » Mon 27 Aug 2018 21:34

Im a huge fan of both the Wargame and Steel Division series and found Steel Division N44 to be a very very good strategy game, and was amazed by the gameplay changes compared to Wargame. Almost all of them made a lot of sense in my opinion and wouldve turned the game into my favorite RTS title. But the frontline system dragged the game down a lot, if you ask me. I think it is one of those ideas that sound amazing on paper, but simply dont work that well in reality and I believe that all of Steel Divisions issues can be attributed to the frontline mechanic.

Id be surprised however, if they decided to remove it. Unfortunately it looks like it is supposed to be a defining feature of the series. I am hyped for Steel Division 2 anyway and will certainly buy it. I hope Eugen can make the feature work this time around.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Tue 28 Aug 2018 01:30

On the contrary I think changing sectors to a dynamic frontline is the single best innovation Steel Division made over Wargame. I would be very disappointed to see it go.

JLX
Private

Postby JLX » Tue 28 Aug 2018 07:40

Steel Division's front line mechanic is a very divisive topic (pun intended ;-) FWIW, I really like it and think it's a well implemented innovation.

A phalanx is appropriate for early era (Roman, etc.) combat, but became obsolete as technology and corresponding tactics evolved. Similarly, pushing front lines back and forth is very much a part of WW2 era strategy and tactics. Modern combat doesn't necessarily work this way anymore but for WW2, I think it's perfect!

The main argument I've heard against it is that it makes "sneak attacks" difficult as you can see the line moving. Steel Division replicates conventional engagements, not Guerrilla warfare. To me the moving front line is a great minimalist way of communicating military intel. You may know you're getting flanked but by what?! How should you counter? Need more recon? Where are they making a push? etc.

That said, I would love to see the addition of strategic targets that work in tandem with (not instead of) the front line mechanic. Capturing a hill, town or bridge for example.

I'm not sure how this might best be implemented. It might be as simple as having designated capture areas act as multipliers and increase the "weight" of units that occupy them. Thus holding strategic positions would give you greater influence over the front line and extend your influence. I'm not sure but hope the Eugen devs can come up with something clever and give us objectives beyond "get the most ground".

Just my 2¢. Cheers.

Wabbit
Private

Postby Wabbit » Wed 29 Aug 2018 19:05

Front Line system? I love it. Leave it in please. I hated the idea when I saw it but after playing with it a few times I found it really enhanced game play.

Return to “Steel Division 2”