2019 Release :( Let us hope some sort of pre-order BETA is much earlier

Destraex
Sergeant Major of the Army

2019 Release :( Let us hope some sort of pre-order BETA is much earlier

Postby Destraex » Sat 8 Sep 2018 03:25

Had hoped christmas which is still 3 months away. 2019 could mean the release is 6 months away.
fingers crossed for new year release?

Markenzwieback
Captain

Re: 2019 Release :( Let us hope some sort of pre-order BETA is much earlier

Postby Markenzwieback » Sat 8 Sep 2018 14:04

The more time until release, the more space for Eugen to work on their game and release a properly finished product. I hope they exactly DON'T follow the current industry standard of releasing early versions or "early access" bullshit.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sat 8 Sep 2018 15:41

I don't know exactly how their development process is going on, however one thing is certain... MP battles of 1v1,2v2,3v3 and 4v4 will, I imagine be more or less a "re-skin" of SD44. What I am trying to say is that maps will be new, units will be new, but other core mechanics probably not to a large extend, which means that they could technically do early access of MP battles part of the game, get some money in that way and then at one point in 2019 release full game with single player, 10v10 servers and all that more "expensive" elements time wise.

TBH personally I would split the game into its core with MP and then add SP and coop etc. as an (standalone) expansion pack. That way people that like one or another can buy their thing but not care about the other.

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Sun 9 Sep 2018 07:36

Markenzwieback wrote:The more time until release, the more space for Eugen to work on their game and release a properly finished product. I hope they exactly DON'T follow the current industry standard of releasing early versions or "early access" bullshit.

Personally I hope the project has been managed properly and they have not announced it before it is almost ready. Hopefully this is no star citizen stretch goal project. I don't have the rest of my life to wait either. Not getting any younger.

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Sun 9 Sep 2018 08:49

As there hasnt been any announcement of a "pre-order" scam like in Star Citizen, I dont see this problem. And a studio actually taking time for developing their product doesnt always have to be equated with what Chris Roberts is doing. ;)

Just give Eugen some time. A couple month more wont make a difference, if a properly refined and polished product is the result.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 9 Sep 2018 10:49

Why would it be much different from any previous project. 2019Q1 release with a short pre-order beta to gather some early feedback from real customers. Don't think Eugen's financial situation or balancing process (improved over the WarGame years and after) would require dragging a months long beta (which could have some of its additional costs).

This is probably their 8th title that has been released with a similar schedule and approach - obviously not counting RUSE. Rinse, repeat and get perfect ;)

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Sun 9 Sep 2018 14:06

I just don't like the take your time attitude presented. Like developers have all the time in the world.
In my opinion the longer a project takes the more likely it is too fail. I in no way am referring to this product.
Just to the general stance that some suggest as a realistic strategy for companies. Like take your time will somehow make the project better. Hard work on a schedule will make the project better. They will only achieve what is on their development schedule. The trick is to have a little buffer at the end of the project to make sure bugs are ironed out and not to release a buggy game. In that respect I can understand the take your time aspect. Delaying a project for bug squashing is fine. But delaying for years is another matter.

I am sure this will not be like that. Let's hope the hype train is short and that it is a Jan 1 release. I am excited for this one.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Sun 9 Sep 2018 18:58

Did it occur to you that perhaps they announced the game sooner in the development cycle than they usually do, perhaps to avoid the perception that they've abandoned their players that usually happens when they're working on an unannounced game for a long period of time? Honestly Eugen can never win with this community — announce a game early and they're trying to cash in; announce it later after working on it for some time and they've abandoned the playerbase. Now apparently taking the proper amount of time to make a game means they're, what, unmotivated? Undisciplined? I'm kind of at a loss about what your point is but it seems like there are some big assumptions about Eugen's workflow at play here.

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Mon 10 Sep 2018 01:00

Let me break it down for you.
My original post was to illustrate how excited I am about this game and how crazy keen I am to get my hands on it as soon as possible.
I had originally counted on a similar release window to the announcement of Sd44. Which was very short.

I think people misinterpreted this excitement as me pushing the developers to release an unfinished game. Because their counter to my excitement and hope to get the game as soon as I could (of course assuming it is finished) was that I should not push because the developers should take their time. Relax and eat donuts while ensuring the game was pure perfection.

Now that got me thinking about other games that people have said to wait patiently for lately. The amount of games that come out as alpha for years and never really fully releasing. The communities mostly gone by the time they do because they have either failed or the community has migrated to other games. The kickstarters that promise and make you wait for things they do not really have the skill to finish or because the teams are so small as to take years to achieve what a professional team would do very quickly.

I thought, these days telling a dev team for a game you want to take their time is not a good strategy. Because so many of them do take their time to the point of you putting down your money and dying of old age before you get the product. In Eugen's case I do not believe they need to be told to take their time. They release good games. Their are always a few bugs, especially desync. But mostly they work flawlessly. So I don't think we need to worry about the old "take your time" adage with Eugen.

I guess I was reacting to the community getting a little defensive on Eugens behalf. I am very sure they will not "take their time" . They will work as fast as they can I would say. While I still hope that SD2 will be very very early in the new year. If not Jan1 if Eugen follow the same release schedule as their first game. I think the last one from announcement to release was about a quarter of a year.

Destraex

Postby Destraex » Mon 10 Sep 2018 01:09

varis wrote:Why would it be much different from any previous project. 2019Q1 release with a short pre-order beta to gather some early feedback from real customers. Don't think Eugen's financial situation or balancing process (improved over the WarGame years and after) would require dragging a months long beta (which could have some of its additional costs).

This is probably their 8th title that has been released with a similar schedule and approach - obviously not counting RUSE. Rinse, repeat and get perfect ;)

I hope you are right :)