Slower game option

zdsdead
Private First-Class

Slower game option

Postby zdsdead » Fri 14 Sep 2018 06:01

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but an option to slow down the game, would be most welcome, for some of us players.

I'd love to actually have the time, to zoom in a bit and watch the action up close, but at the moment that's not possible, especially on mp.

Tank Hunter
Private First-Class

Re: Slower game option

Postby Tank Hunter » Fri 14 Sep 2018 18:02

We've asked for it many times, but it hasn't been delivered as an option yet.

zdsdead
Private First-Class

Postby zdsdead » Sat 15 Sep 2018 09:11

Why do you think they have not implemented a slower option?. Too hard/ time consuming to do?, and not enough people interested?

I'm not a computer programmer, so have no idea how long this feature would take to implement, is it a small matter of changing some number scales?

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sat 15 Sep 2018 19:06

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow engine isn't handling game speeds well. For example, you can't browse through replay (although you can slow it down) with scrollbar, who knows why.

Destraex
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Destraex » Sun 16 Sep 2018 01:49

https://www.windowscentral.com/steel-di ... go-ww2-rts

"One of these choices is to slow down battle. One of the biggest issues I had with Normandy 44 was that things were too fast for me to process and react to, so having the ability to slow everything a bit will be fantastic. The other choice is to be able to switch between a strategic and tactical command perspective. In Normandy 44, you were only playing during combat scenarios. In Steel Division 2, though, you have the option of being a general, making specific decisions about which unit battalions go where, and when they do so."

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 16 Sep 2018 04:29

praslovan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if somehow engine isn't handling game speeds well. For example, you can't browse through replay (although you can slow it down) with scrollbar, who knows why.

Might always be a few things hardcoded around it - we do have it in WG:RD replays though. I understood the replay thing was how the data is structured - new positions are derived from the previous and the players' commands, so a bit hard to backtrace.

zdsdead
Private First-Class

Postby zdsdead » Sun 16 Sep 2018 08:21

Thanks Destraex, looks like the issue has been addressed, I wonder how that will affect mp though, with regards to differering game speeds? probably have a couple of different options, although some people will moan about splitting the player base.

Destraex
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Destraex » Sun 16 Sep 2018 09:03

Total War had an "everybody agrees" style slow down for multiplayer. I doubt anybody playing multi will want slow down though.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:19

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada had a pretty good system where every player had a finite amount of slow-motion time that they could activate and deactivate with spacebar, so when someone moved to execute a complex series of orders in rapid succession they could hit spacebar to slow down time for everyone in the match, give all the orders, and hit spacebar again to resume normal speed. It could also be used to quickly react to emergencies like a pair of ships unexpectedly about to ram into each other at high speed.

While time was slowed down, a bar at the top of the screen would drain, and once it emptied that player would no longer have access to the mechanic for the rest of the match. This kept the pace of the game going, because you wanted to conserve your slow-motion-time-juice for when you needed it, so it was only used in small bursts at important moments. It would be cool to see more real-time games adopt a system like this.

zdsdead
Private First-Class

Postby zdsdead » Mon 17 Sep 2018 18:00

yes I also have that game, and think the slow down mechanic is great. looking forward, to the second game of that also !