SD2 battle mechanics

Bullman
Sergeant

SD2 battle mechanics

Postby Bullman » Fri 14 Dec 2018 05:15

Hello,

First off, thanks again for all the fantastic games I have enjoyed from Eugen: started with RUSE, then WALB, WEE, WRD and SDN44. All fantastic games, innovative and as true as I could expect to the historical era/units they protray for the type of games they are. Key is that IrisZoom engine really is a thing of beauty that keeps diving! It is the main reason these games are so good and stand out from virtually all other RTS games. The way it portrays a realistic sense of scale is incredible. The engines allows and incredible amount of battlefield/tactical fidelity and detail (mainly with the incredible line of sight cover and spotting mechanics) while at the same time able to present the strategic picture seamlessly.

Great to hear SD2 is now next in line.

I am mainly interested in what changes (if any) to expect in the actual combat/battlefield mechanics over SDN44. Personally, I don't think there is much that I would even change. I think Eugen have nailed most of what makes the game good in SDN44. The unit details and stats are fine (certainly more would be better than less however), the orders to give units are sufficient and allow enough intelligent control.

How can it be improved? New terrain types? I know there were lots of swamps and wheat/cornfields in the Eastern front, and wooden buildings, so maybe a low grade (light) building as cover? New concealment terrain? Just thinking out loud.

Anyways, be good to hear of any changes.

Regards

Bullman

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: SD2 battle mechanics

Postby Mike » Sat 15 Dec 2018 03:39

I'm sure we won't hear much of combat details until we get a dev diary on it.

But I'd be interested in corn/wheat fields that provide some cover and stealthiness to infantry and wooden buildings that offer protection from small arms, but crumble to .50 or up, depending on construction.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Bullman
Sergeant

Postby Bullman » Sat 15 Dec 2018 05:06

Talking about terrain, how could a discussion about likely terrain on the Eastern Front not consider snow and mud (ok, it’s seasonal conditions). Not sure how (or if) it would be implemented (maybe just cosmetically with no effect in combat/movement etc), let alone whether it might only occur on some selected maps.

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Sat 2 Feb 2019 16:38

SD was a massive iterative improvement on RD. At this point, I'd like to see:

Implementation of topographic cover (units automatically using the changes in the landscape as cover)
A bit more soft cover (light woods, cornfields, et al)
Call in delays on air power. Seriously needed still - it and artillery shouldn't really be used as reactive units.

Cheers.

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Sun 3 Feb 2019 21:35

Drang wrote:Call in delays on air power. Seriously needed still - it and artillery shouldn't really be used as reactive units.

Cheers.

I agree completely. Should be some delays to artillery and planes.

mvp7
Master Sergeant

Postby mvp7 » Sun 24 Feb 2019 22:31

Drang wrote:...
Call in delays on air power. Seriously needed still - it and artillery shouldn't really be used as reactive units.

Call in delay for aircraft together with longer loitering times would make air combat more interactive. The delay of artillery varied depending on the organization and doctrines. I do agree that off-map artillery should generally have longer delays than it did in SD44 but possibility for pre-calculating fire missions could be interesting.

Here's something that could be interesting for future DLC: Starting from 1943 the Finnish artillery doctrine was very fast and accurate, even when compared to major powers, without needing extensive pre-planning. heavy artillery was used defensively with good effect during the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive, especially during battle of Tali-Ihantala.

Here are some articles on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... %E2%80%939
The ensuing Finnish concentration of artillery fire was the heaviest in the country's military history.[31] It was based on the famed fire correction method of Finnish Artillery General Vilho Petter Nenonen, which enabled easy fire correction and quick changes of targets.[5] At the critical Ihantala sector of the battle, the Finnish defenders managed to concentrate their fire to the extent of smashing the advancing Soviet spearhead.[31] The clever fire control system enabled as many as 21 batteries, totaling some 250 guns, to fire at the same target simultaneously in the battle; the fire controller did not need to be aware of the location of individual batteries to guide their fire, which made quick fire concentration and target switching possible. The Finnish artillery fired altogether over 122,000 rounds of ordnance. This concentration was considered a world record at the time.[5] These fire missions managed to halt and destroy Soviet forces that were assembling at their jumping off points. On thirty occasions the Soviet forces destroyed were larger than battalion size.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg%E2 ... i-Ihantala
http://www.oocities.org/finnmilpge/fmp_kt_41_45.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Correction_Circle

One issue from SD44 that I'd like to see fixed is the use of direct area fire to suppress enemy that is just barely out of shooting range. You would target the ground just few meters short of being in direct-fire range which would quickly cause suppression to the enemy units which could then be destroyed with ease. It was unrealistic and added very frustrating micro-management to the gameplay. A simple fix could be making the area fire range 50 meters shorter than the engagement range.

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Wed 27 Feb 2019 19:17

mvp7 wrote:
Drang wrote:...

Call in delay for aircraft together with longer loitering times would make air combat more interactive. The delay of artillery varied depending on the organization and doctrines. I do agree that off-map artillery should generally have longer delays than it did in SD44 but possibility for pre-calculating fire missions could be interesting.

Here's something that could be interesting for future DLC: Starting from 1943 the Finnish artillery doctrine was very fast and accurate, even when compared to major powers, without needing extensive pre-planning. heavy artillery was used defensively with good effect during the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive, especially during battle of Tali-Ihantala.

Here are some articles on the subject:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... %E2%80%939
The ensuing Finnish concentration of artillery fire was the heaviest in the country's military history.[31] It was based on the famed fire correction method of Finnish Artillery General Vilho Petter Nenonen, which enabled easy fire correction and quick changes of targets.[5] At the critical Ihantala sector of the battle, the Finnish defenders managed to concentrate their fire to the extent of smashing the advancing Soviet spearhead.[31] The clever fire control system enabled as many as 21 batteries, totaling some 250 guns, to fire at the same target simultaneously in the battle; the fire controller did not need to be aware of the location of individual batteries to guide their fire, which made quick fire concentration and target switching possible. The Finnish artillery fired altogether over 122,000 rounds of ordnance. This concentration was considered a world record at the time.[5] These fire missions managed to halt and destroy Soviet forces that were assembling at their jumping off points. On thirty occasions the Soviet forces destroyed were larger than battalion size.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg%E2 ... i-Ihantala
http://www.oocities.org/finnmilpge/fmp_kt_41_45.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Correction_Circle

One issue from SD44 that I'd like to see fixed is the use of direct area fire to suppress enemy that is just barely out of shooting range. You would target the ground just few meters short of being in direct-fire range which would quickly cause suppression to the enemy units which could then be destroyed with ease. It was unrealistic and added very frustrating micro-management to the gameplay. A simple fix could be making the area fire range 50 meters shorter than the engagement range.

The only concern I would have is that, given the relative predictability of engagement zones on maps, pre planned fire missions would need to be phase N onwards only or would fuck up the game a la opening napalm strikes

mvp7
Master Sergeant

Postby mvp7 » Thu 28 Feb 2019 00:44

Drang wrote:The only concern I would have is that, given the relative predictability of engagement zones on maps, pre planned fire missions would need to be phase N onwards only or would fuck up the game a la opening napalm strikes

I was thinking something like Artillery observers being able to order the fire mission but leave it on hold. After targeting time the barrage could either be activated, or if new target is selected the preparations would be reset. This way artillery could still be used defensively against predictable attacks but less so if the attack comes from unexpected direction.

Another way to make defensive artillery less effective could be adding a couple spotting rounds before the actual barrage which would give the target a bit more time to react.