Unit camos - possible for entire division/force?

kvadrat spoon rest
Staff Sergeant

Unit camos - possible for entire division/force?

Postby kvadrat spoon rest » Tue 1 Jan 2019 13:25

Reading the pre-order details, it says that camos are:

A camo is a military camouflage, a skin if you prefer, applied on units. In Steel Division 2, one camo is available for one unit. All the camos will be military, no japanese-cat-with-a-pink-bow or yellow-electrified-rat camos are planned.

So one 'skin' for one specific vehicle or unit. Not all T-34/85s will look like that specific T-34/85 with the "Eugen is cool" slogan on the side.

Will it be possible to set a skin for all units in your division? I'm thinking specifically of doing something like setting all vehicles in the 5th Tank Corps to have a camouflage like this:

But have the 10th Tank Corps look like this:

Likewise for the Germans, I might want the infantry uniforms/skins of the German 78th Sturm Division to look like this:

But the 5th Panzer Division's infantry uniforms/skins I might chose to look like this:

Is such a thing envisioned as possible or doable, or are camos intended only for specific Ace units?

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: Unit camos - possible for entire division/force?

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 2 Jan 2019 21:20

I would love to see something like this, but it would require a massively multiplied investment in art assets, both in terms of time and money, which would delay the game's release and narrow Eugen's profit margins on their first self-published title. What I think would be ideal is if Eugen created a way for modders to make custom textures on a per-division basis so that the community could endeavor on such a project itself.

PapaYankee
Master Sergeant

Postby PapaYankee » Thu 3 Jan 2019 18:02

Camos will be available for specific units only :)

kvadrat spoon rest
Staff Sergeant

Postby kvadrat spoon rest » Thu 3 Jan 2019 19:47

PapaYankee wrote:Camos will be available for specific units only :)

No worries, just thought it worth asking. I already bought the total conflict preorder, I drank the kool-aid.

But if you later decide to do something like this, I won't complain... ;)

kvadrat spoon rest
Staff Sergeant

Postby kvadrat spoon rest » Thu 3 Jan 2019 19:52

Mister Maf wrote:I would love to see something like this, but it would require a massively multiplied investment in art assets, both in terms of time and money, which would delay the game's release and narrow Eugen's profit margins on their first self-published title.

Would it? We're just talking one skin layer, not high-res details or bumpmaps or anything. Shadow layers and details and whatever else (unique slogans, side numbers, etc.) could all be separate layers that are 'baked' onto the model. Many other games do it.

That said, I have no idea how this engine works with stuff like that. I'm totally graphically/texturally ignorant.