Possible DLC for Steel Division 2 with Romanian Armed Forces of WW2

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Possible DLC for Steel Division 2 with Romanian Armed Forces of WW2

Postby steppewolf » Sat 12 Jan 2019 17:06

Well, since Steel Division 2 will feature Eastern Front I think a future DLC may incorporate an operation that started one day after Bragration resumed and was carried out by Stavka with three main objectives:

Politically, the new offensive intended to knock Romania out of the war, then Soviet troops would advance into Yugoslavia and Bulgaria, outflanking the Germans and, hopefully, forcing Hungary to sue for peace.

The second objective was the destruction of German forces in Romania.

Finally, there was the economic objective. The Ploesti oil fields had to be seized.

This was Jassy-Khisinev Operation which started in 20th August. In Spring of 1944, a similar Soviet offensive failed.

To accomplish these objectives the Soviets planned to use Malinovsky's Second Ukrainian Front and Marshal Fyodor I. Tolbukhin's Third Ukrainian Front to strike in a pincer movement designed to isolate and destroy Army Group South Ukraine. Malinovsky's command consisted of seven armies and a mechanized cavalry group under General S.I. Gorshkov with a total of 537,856 men and 1,283 tanks and self-propelled (SP) guns. The Third Ukrainian Front had four armies and a mechanized cavalry group, commanded by General P. S. Pliev, totaling 348,633 men and 591 tanks and SP guns.

Compared with Spring offensive, German command moved out of Romania 9 Panzer and Panzer Grenadier divisions, some of them being elite thus weakening seriously Army Group South Ukraine.

Field Marshall Antonescu, the leader of Axis Romania warned even Hitlers himself since the beginning of the year that without mobile armored forces Moldova cannot be held and he proposed a retreat toward Focsani-Namoloasa-Galati (FNG sometimes named FNB) fortified line.

As context, Hitler refused in 1944 and didn’t provided the armor requested by Romania for its oil nor the additional armored mobile forces necessary to stop a Soviet massed assault.

In 20th August, German South Ukraine Army Group (Generaloberst Johannes Friessner) consisted of the following Axis forces:

Army Group Dumitrescu:

Romanian 3rd Army
- General Petre Dumitrescu

2nd Corps:
protected the coast round Dobrogea and the Marine and Frontier Guard units protected the Danube Delta to their north with (9th, 10th Infantry, 9th Training divisions and Marine detachments)

3rd Corps was positioned on the far right of the Axis line on the Bessarabian coast with some experienced divisons: 110th Brigade, 2nd, 15th Infantry Divisions)

German XXIX Corps (Romanian 21st Infantry and 4th Mountain divisions and the German 9. Infanteriedivision)

German 6th Army:General der Artillerie Maximilian Fretter-Pico

This army was deployed between Khisinev and Jassy in a hilly area which have a highly fragmented relief, the plateau resembles the look of some low mountains. The landslides occupy considerable areas, often affecting localities, agricultural lands, transport routes which are rare and were inadequate for armor and mechanized operations due to the nature of the terrain and the positioning of the roads.

It’s mobile defense consisted of 13th Panzer Division - Generalleutnant Hans Tröger
306th Infantry Division
76th Infantry Division - General der Infanterie Erich Abraham

Army Group Wohler:

Romanian 4th Army:

It was deployed around Jassy in two main defensive lines and covered an area which ended at the foothills of Carpathians

7th Corps (103rd and 104th Mountain Commands)
1st Corps (6th and 20th Infantry Divisions)
5th Corps (4th Infantry and Royal Guard division)
6th Corps (5th Infantry Division, 101st Mountain Command, German 76. ID)
German LVII Corps (Romanian 1st and 13th Infantry Divisions, German 46. ID)

In reserve:
1st Armoured Division
8th Infantry Division
18th Mountain Division
German 20. Panzerdivision

8th Army – General der Infanterie Otto Wöhler

This army was deployed around the foothills of Carpathians and included a Romanian Mountain Group. It wasn’t targeted by the Soviet spearhead.

In reserve:
10th Panzergrenadier Division - Generalleutnant August Schmidt
The Romanian Ski Unit, Der Rumänische Ski-Verband - a Romanian Mountain unit integrated in German Army

A fairly good description of the operations can be found here.. It is generally accurate but have some minor inaccuracies but it can be improved of course.

From game point of view, such Campaign DLC can provide some new and unique units and weapons such as Romanian IAR-80 fighter, IAR JRS 79B1 bomber, some Romanian light armor, Romanian 75 mm Resita AT gun (probably the best of this calibre of WW2), Romanian portee AA with French 13,2 and 25 mm guns, Orita SMG, scoped ZB vz.24 and loads of French, Czechoslovak, Polish and English weaponry (Schneider 47 mm, Bristol Blenheim, Skoda artillery and armor) along with some Romanian Divisions with interesting stories:

1st Armored Division
Guards Division
4th Mountain
18th Mountain
5th Cavalry
8th Cavalry

Here is a standard Infantry battalion organization in 1944 and here the whole collection of albums.

Please note that it is still work in progress and after I’ve made 1st Armored I stopped using links in imgur albums because they keep broke so I only paste information that may be

For German forces, some interesting high end weapons were present in Moldova during Jassy-Khisinev offensive such as Hetzers, Nashorn,Beute T-43, JagdPz IV/70, Wespe, Hummel, Hans Ulrich Rudel bomber sqdn. etc. along with some interesting Divisions from 6th or 8th German armies.

Soviet forces have also some interesting units present in the area like Armenian tank regiment, a Soviet Sherman brigade (I have this guy's memoirs) and this is only stuff I stumbled upon while making the research of Romanian armed forces in the area.

From campaign point of view, it may be pictured like a classical Soviet pincher offensive to reach FNB line while from Axis point of view as a defensive battle to retreat on the FNB line as many forces as possible. Or it can be pictured even the 23rd August coup.

This retreat was seriously taken into consideration by Antonescu and even ordered on 22nd August since it was estimated that due to the extensive defensive works on this line, with flanks protected by Carpathians and Lower Danube, a resistance of at least 6 months against Soviet armor armies was possible. Any input is of course welcome.
Last edited by steppewolf on Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

Destraex
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Possible DLC for Steel Division 2 with Romanian Armed Forces of WW2

Postby Destraex » Sun 13 Jan 2019 01:31

I'd buy it as well. Love to see the Italians, Hungarians etc in it. I think some are already in SD2.

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Sun 13 Jan 2019 02:07

Destraex wrote:I'd buy it as well. Love to see the Italians, Hungarians etc in it. I think some are already in SD2.

A Hungarian Division will be probably in SD2, 1st Royal Hungarian Cavalry Division. Hungary did not had troops at the time of Bagration on Eastern Front, only some rear security units. This cavalry unit was assigned in the area for anti partisan operations. But since the Soviets break the front line it was rushed into battle.

Italians were on the side of Allies at the time of Bagration, only some Italian Fascist sympathizers were gathered in northern Italy and had some equipment which allowed them to form few brigades. But on Eastern front, Italian and Hungarian participation ceased after Stalingrad.
Last edited by steppewolf on Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

kvadrat spoon rest
Staff Sergeant

Postby kvadrat spoon rest » Sun 13 Jan 2019 12:15

The big problem I forsee is that Eugen in the past has mentioned maps are the most time consuming thing to do. Maybe their processes have improved, but it might be a hangup for why they might not do a DLC in an entirely new region.

Also, I can't tell for sure, but I think Soviet naval infantry were involved?

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Sun 13 Jan 2019 12:32

kvadrat spoon rest wrote:The big problem I forsee is that Eugen in the past has mentioned maps are the most time consuming thing to do. Maybe their processes have improved, but it might be a hangup for why they might not do a DLC in an entirely new region.

Also, I can't tell for sure, but I think Soviet naval infantry were involved?

Moldova is not very much different of Ukraine or Eastern Europe in general, I don't think this is an issue at all. With some minor changes even the bocage area will suit it well.

Soviet Naval infantry was involved but in a secondary direction (on the map I posted from Akkerman) and anyway Romanian units from respective area were anyway retreating since their flanks were exposed to main attack column from Tiraspol.