Russians have panzerschreck units - Be annoying if they have a lot of these as it's NOT historical??

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Russians have panzerschreck units - Be annoying if they have a lot of these as it's NOT historical??

Postby Destraex » Wed 20 Feb 2019 13:10

I noticed in a preview that some Russian units have panzerschrecks. The German AT weapon may have been captured in large numbers??
But was it actually used by the Russians in large numbers?
The Russians relied on AT rifles and even flamethrower infantry for infantry AT. They had a small number of bazookas and PIATs via lend lease.

I think it takes away from the Russians historical accuracy and the sides characters to give them what was essentially a german advantage. Especially with all the disadvantages the germans already have at this time?

praslovan
Major-General

Re: Russians have panzerschreck units - Be annoying if they have a lot of these as it's NOT historical??

Postby praslovan » Thu 21 Feb 2019 22:06

Destraex wrote:I noticed in a preview that some Russian units have panzerschrecks. The German AT weapon may have been captured in large numbers??
But was it actually used by the Russians in large numbers?
The Russians relied on AT rifles and even flamethrower infantry for infantry AT. They had a small number of bazookas and PIATs via lend lease.

I think it takes away from the Russians historical accuracy and the sides characters to give them what was essentially a german advantage. Especially with all the disadvantages the germans already have at this time?

Soviets siezed huge ammounts of materials when Germans retreated from north, centre and south. At the point Eugen is setting SD2 it would be completely possible for Soviets to use that thing. However are you sure you have seen them using german LAT and not bazooka? If I remember looking at the video correctly the guy mentioned zookas when he was looking at some Russian things.

Trivia: Germans actually made schrecks based on captured Soviet Bazookas. And since US sent small quantities of bazookas to Soviets I wouldn't be surprised that shrecks would be more common to find with Reds.

P.S. AT rifles were useless agains tanks at that point in war and they knew it.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Re: Russians have panzerschreck units - Be annoying if they have a lot of these as it's NOT historical??

Postby Destraex » Fri 22 Feb 2019 12:56

0:19 in this video. Check the anti tank schreck pic. LAbelled GV PZ schreck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byaq-Zn48aA

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Fri 22 Feb 2019 19:10

Destraex wrote:Soviet Union is listed as a user.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerschreck

Yup. I was looking at that yesterday.

I would imagine they had enough shrecks to outfit some specialized squads... basically what is depicted in the video, however ofcourse not field it as a common AT weapon.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 7 Mar 2019 14:04

The Soviets did use German equipment under two conditions:
* they hadn't something similar themselves or through lend-lease.
* they had captured it in large numbers to have enough spare parts or ammos.

Based on this, the Soviets salvaged and used a lot of:
* Panzer III (as T-3), they even built a version of SU-76 on it.
* half-tracks (250 or 251)
* Panzerschreck
* Panzerfaust

Regarding the latter, there was even a standing order in the Soviet army to deliver any captured Panzerfaust to special engineer units which used them "en masse". They even had a name for those troops: Faustniki.

Ingame, you'll find Panzerschreck in some Guards units (ehence the "Gv." before the name), one division has a few T-3 & half-tracks, and Faustninki are a dedicated unit.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Postby Destraex » Fri 8 Mar 2019 01:38

THanks madmat appreciated and fills me with confidence.

Return to “Steel Division 2”