Dev Diary #13 - The New Commander Unit

PapaYankee
First Sergeant

Dev Diary #13 - The New Commander Unit

Postby PapaYankee » Thu 7 Mar 2019 18:57

Hello there! In today’s dev diary we are going to shine a light on a completely new unit that will be introduced in Steel Division 2: Commanders. These specialized units are similar to the Leader units from Steel Division: Normandy 44, but operate on a higher level, provide more powerful benefits, and bring a new tactical gameplay mechanic.

Read the full article on this page.

praslovan
Major-General

Re: Dev Diary #13 - The New Commander Unit

Postby praslovan » Thu 7 Mar 2019 21:16

Now this looks cool. A bit of a throwback to wargame and CV hunting.
Why not call them squad leaders and platoon leaders thought?

If you were extra nasty you could make it so that if link gets broken units that get thrown out of aura become routed/get some accuracy or movement penalty for a short time.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Thu 7 Mar 2019 22:08

praslovan wrote:Now this looks cool. A bit of a throwback to wargame and CV hunting.

If you were extra nasty you could make it so that if link gets broken units that get thrown out of aura become routed/get some accuracy or movement penalty for a short time.

This wouldn't really be the correct scale. Every unit you call in has a squad leader in the squad; that's how squad leaders work. The leader units in SDN44 represent platoon leaders, or officers who lead a group of 4 or so squads. Leader and Commander is a fine differentiation, I think. It's an interesting idea, although I'm sort of afraid to see a frontline rely on one unit as a lynchpin and killing that one unit puts your enemy at such a big disadvantage. We'll see how it works out in practice.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Thu 7 Mar 2019 22:20

Mister Maf wrote:
praslovan wrote:Now this looks cool. A bit of a throwback to wargame and CV hunting.

This wouldn't really be the correct scale. Every unit you call in has a squad leader in the squad; that's how squad leaders work. The leader units in SDN44 represent platoon leaders, or officers who lead a group of 4 or so squads. Leader and Commander is a fine differentiation, I think. It's an interesting idea, although I'm sort of afraid to see a frontline rely on one unit as a lynchpin and killing that one unit puts your enemy at such a big disadvantage. We'll see how it works out in practice.

Yeah I guess you are right.

Regarding fragility... I'm not that worried, CVs in wargame were also very important and fragile yet we simply learned how to play with that.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Postby Destraex » Sun 10 Mar 2019 02:53

I think it would be more correct to call the lower tier leaders platoon commanders or lieutenants which generally commanded 3 units of 10 or so men\sections\squads and the higher ones Company commanders which could command 100 men or so. I guess the higher ones could also be regimental or battalion commanders which commanded 1000 or more men.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 20 Mar 2019 22:31

We are referring to them as Leaders (the ones from SD1, roughly company CO) & Commanders (the new ones, roughly battalion CO).

Return to “Steel Division 2”