Frontline issues

Arctander2
Corporal

Re: Frontline issues

Postby Arctander2 » Thu 11 Apr 2019 15:26

praslovan wrote:
Arctander2 wrote:
Destraex wrote:I am seriously mystified as to why people think that in ww2 squads snuck through enemy lines and somehow became special forces commandos harassing the rear areas on their own.

I'm not sure why you think "people" are thinking that way, but I simply would prefer if the front line mechanic weren't such an obvious tip to when a flank is being exploited. We already have the wealth of cap points to monitor where the front line is; continuing the SD44 line only further limits the opportunity for successful flanking attacks.

There is a chance that if a line in sand made your flanking maneuer fail that maneuer wasn't a good idea in the first place.

I have a feeling that people simply find a scapegoat for their failed flanks (in this case)... the most convenient at this point is the frontline, if they take that away, it will be something else.

On the other hand if people would be against the ammount of arty and plane spam that can be done at this point... life would be better for everyone playing SD2.

If you want to discuss the amount of plane/arty spam, I suggest you start another topic. Personally, I agree with you - though I think that's a result of the whole game mechanic of too many points for too many units and the way that camping is rewarded in the game play. It isn't new to RTSs, but a part of what is called the "slippery slope mechanic" which results when defending is significantly easier than attacking.

Which is part of the issue with the way the front line easily telegraphs flanking maneuvers, though weak ones to create a faint are overly effective as well. Either way, I think it is a stupid mechanic and dumbs down the quality of the matches.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Thu 11 Apr 2019 18:39

Well, IMO it models the scariness of the unknown pretty well. That is if you are neglecting the role of recon.
The whole SD franchise is made around this mechanic so it won't go away any time soon. I guess if you find it completely obnoxious you can try out Wargames. DIfferent era, similar concept. And honestly, ever since ruse Eugen games weren't about sneaky flanks simply because there was always that one recon unit covering that area that gave it away.
If that recon unit is absent it simply means you are playing against an opponent that doesn't know what to do.

I find it slightly annoying at this point that people expect complete incompetence from other people to the point for them not being able to set up a recon net and then put the blame of their sneaky flanks failing on some line that is moving around. This is not Commandos RPG... it simulates battles in the eastern front well after fancy days of quick flanks and well into the time of frontlines being pushed and shoved back and forth in a less discrete fashion.

TL;DR -SD is not a flank simulator, stop thinking it will be. It is like expecting McDonald's selling pizza.

Arctander2
Corporal

Postby Arctander2 » Sat 13 Apr 2019 03:00

praslovan wrote:Well, IMO it models the scariness of the unknown pretty well.

Actually, it does just the opposite and makes the unknown, the known. For no good reason too. I donno man, we can agree to disagree. I think it just dumbs the game down and reduces and opportunity for more strategy.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sat 13 Apr 2019 12:42

Arctander2 wrote:
praslovan wrote:Well, IMO it models the scariness of the unknown pretty well.

Actually, it does just the opposite and makes the unknown, the known. For no good reason too. I donno man, we can agree to disagree. I think it just dumbs the game down and reduces and opportunity for more strategy.

Strategy? You will be able to do that in single-player campaign. Maps are too small to talk strategy here. And this comes down to why the line is there in the first place... battle is going on, there is a rough idea how front-line movements are happening.

I guess Wargame is the game for you then.

Arctander2
Corporal

Postby Arctander2 » Sun 14 Apr 2019 12:19

praslovan wrote:Strategy? You will be able to do that in single-player campaign. Maps are too small to talk strategy here.

Interesting, it is clear we perceive things VERY differently. I do love the strat layer concept, but AI is always so easy to beat on that I don't consider it to be strategy much at all to play against it. I might do single player or skirmishes to learn the game mechanics, but that's it. Just too boring.

Return to “Steel Division 2”