My Initial impressions

Destraex
Warrant Officer

My Initial impressions

Postby Destraex » Thu 28 Mar 2019 15:34

Enjoyed the game immensely. But have to ask if their will be an extension to the BETA due to the time lost out of the gate.

I noticed a few things especially language (e.g. modificators) and some strange art - end of battle screen is black and white as is the writing making it almost impossible to read.

The terrain in general seemed over exposed? Bright and blurry? The icons are hard to see due to being grey and transparent. I got a bit of eye strain playing the game actually because of this. I play with NATO icons btw. Is their a way to make the icons less transparent and change them to the colours I want them to be?

I liked that artillery now has unlimited range
I like that artillery observers now seem to need LOS
I liked the commander linkage lines
I like the new scale
I did not mind breakthrough mode but imagine it will shine in the campaign mode.
Don't mind the new sounds
Terrain looks amazing as do the units
Love the unit card artwork
Like that mortars have useful range now
Like that flamethrowers seem to more easily kill tanks

I don't like that their is no way to choose an order of march especially with so many units now the scale is larger.
I don't like that units do not march with their other grouped units? Actually need group orders but assume it has not changed? Do groups stay together?
Still getting used to the interface but I lost a lot of units just from the sheer fact I could not be everywhere at once. Be good to have some standing orders to assign like retreat if enemy seen. The game should not rely on player mistakes but instead on player tactics.
Don't like that the Russians have so many handheld AT rockets in the default deck. Bazookas and Fausts. Kind of makes the russians similar to the germans.

Still not sure about tank engagement ranges but the new orders should help with that.

For the most part I think it's great and will be a lot of fun. Lots of new bibs and bobs to play with order wise. Trying out counter battery will be a lot of fun. Also the new hold fire until % hit will be fun to try. So will the new FOB rules.

Destraex
Warrant Officer

Re: My Initial impressions

Postby Destraex » Thu 28 Mar 2019 15:42

P.s. can I ask if the new objectives that are captured now mean that units no longer push the line around. That the objectives determine the line? For example surrounding a unit would now need the correct objectives to be captured rather than the units simply surrounding them to cut them off.
This would then alleviate player concerns that the front lines mode was giving away their units befor they were even seen.

rattusxrattus
First Sergeant

Re: My Initial impressions

Postby rattusxrattus » Fri 29 Mar 2019 09:29

After playing a bit in breakthrough mode, I think it’s extremely difficult to win for an attack with the current conditions of victory.

(I easily won the defense and could not win the attack)

Return to “Steel Division 2”