Multiplayer matching

praslovan
Major-General

Re: Multiplayer matching

Postby praslovan » Sun 9 Jun 2019 11:42

asaphx wrote:
praslovan wrote:I have no idea why they don't take the CoH approach to the MP matches.
It is already there actually. It is called ranked and because of that scary name people think that if they play it and loose they will I dunno... have to give their kidney.

It is simple really. Rename ranked to "multy-player" remove any publicly visible leader-boards (because some people can't stand the idea of tanking spots) and that is it.
Retain custom lobbies as invite only, so that community can organize tournaments. Have those 10v10 and PvAI servers in their own sub-menus and that is it.

But nooo people will be against that. In the same breath they will demand so that player levels are made public... dude if you play auto-matched MP you will be paired with same skill-level players anyway. Effortlessly at that since it will be automatic.

The fact that they just leave things as it is is killing anything they release. Wargame would have more players if it wasn't for the MP system as it is and SD would have the same.

The problem with ranked is that, also due to the low amount of players but also due to limitation, it can only be played 1v1 or 2v2, and is almost always played 1v1, which is not how most people want to play.

If the only thing you can play is auto-match then you won't have a problem with people not playing.

fenchurch
Sergeant

Postby fenchurch » Sun 9 Jun 2019 12:47

Will there be matchmaking? I absolutely miss playing fair 1on1s :/

marek05
Private

Postby marek05 » Mon 10 Jun 2019 09:01

praslovan wrote:I have no idea why they don't take the CoH approach to the MP matches.
It is already there actually. It is called ranked and because of that scary name people think that if they play it and loose they will I dunno... have to give their kidney.

It is simple really. Rename ranked to "multy-player" remove any publicly visible leader-boards (because some people can't stand the idea of tanking spots) and that is it.
Retain custom lobbies as invite only, so that community can organize tournaments. Have those 10v10 and PvAI servers in their own sub-menus and that is it.

But nooo people will be against that. In the same breath they will demand so that player levels are made public... dude if you play auto-matched MP you will be paired with same skill-level players anyway. Effortlessly at that since it will be automatic.

The fact that they just leave things as it is is killing anything they release. Wargame would have more players if it wasn't for the MP system as it is and SD would have the same.

Such an obvious, elegant and necessary solution. But nope. In 2 months, it will only be 300 tryhards. And i absolutely pity people who will buy this game during sale to just try it out. That will be very disappointing experience...

Rizzmond
Corporal

Postby Rizzmond » Thu 13 Jun 2019 15:36

marek05 wrote:

Such an obvious, elegant and necessary solution. But nope. In 2 months, it will only be 300 tryhards. And i absolutely pity people who will buy this game during sale to just try it out. That will be very disappointing experience...

Please Eugen listen to these people. I have bought every single one of your games and love them to death, but this server browser heavy design is antiquated and creates very unbalanced lobbies.

Like praslovan said, make the automatch front and center when you boot the game and hide the server browser behind a menu. Let people create a group with their friends (or go solo) and look for an automatch; have them able to tick boxes for 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, and 10v10 (be able to look for multiple game sizes at the same time).

If you actually do this, SD2 multiplayer could really take off. Otherwise, most of your multiplayer playerbase will leave after the first couple months like all your other games.

Return to “Steel Division 2”