Can We Talk About The Current Artillery System?

garensterz
Private

Can We Talk About The Current Artillery System?

Postby garensterz » Tue 16 Jul 2019 00:33

Ok, I'm not really an expert on how artillery actually works in reality. But I just feel the artillery firing in this game is still too gamey.

I think the artillery shooting is too accurate and fast for my tastes, which artillery spotters seem kind of useless at the moment. I was hoping if we can make artillery much less accurate without a radio'd spotter. Then it could be more accurate when a spotter's nearby that actually spots targets. This would make artillery spotters more useful and actually make players to put in arty spotters in their decks. I just don't see the point in adding arty spotters in the deck at the moment, I still can get kills and suppression without it since arty becomes a sniping game where you can easily delete soft units in very far distances.

So what do you think about the artillery shooting in SD2, do you think they need to change it to a more realistic route? And I hope people who are knowledgeable about the topic would also barge in, I'd like to hear what you think.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Can We Talk About The Current Artillery System?

Postby varis » Tue 16 Jul 2019 18:59

What I gather much of the action at the top level of this scale was planned maybe a full day in advance in the archetypical 1944 breakthrough action. Artillery would fire massive barrages in preparation, followed by waves of infantry and often armored vehicles in support. Also targets behind the frontline were targeted but that also is more like the (real) usage of air forces. Bottom line is missions were planned and prepared much in advance, not improvised on the spot to counter a small enemy movement. Communication wasn't too rapid by that time and not everyone had radios.

In this regard I like the mechanics of ordering larger barrages which you have to wait for. Still the focus should be more on suppressing/routing rather than destroying.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Sat 27 Jul 2019 13:18

Artillery has received some changes already, which are being tested by our "strike team".
It should be delivered to the public version soon.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Sat 27 Jul 2019 16:42

varis wrote:What I gather much of the action at the top level of this scale was planned maybe a full day in advance in the archetypical 1944 breakthrough action. Artillery would fire massive barrages in preparation, followed by waves of infantry and often armored vehicles in support. Also targets behind the frontline were targeted but that also is more like the (real) usage of air forces. Bottom line is missions were planned and prepared much in advance, not improvised on the spot to counter a small enemy movement. Communication wasn't too rapid by that time and not everyone had radios.

In this regard I like the mechanics of ordering larger barrages which you have to wait for. Still the focus should be more on suppressing/routing rather than destroying.

That is true but in case of the multi-player gameplay it doesn't make much utilization of arty spotters and makes them kinda like Maljutka carriers from wargame... a unit that noone really uses.

And to counter the idea of no corrections etc... we have US and Commonwealth military in the game.

IMO there should be 2 sets of stats for units... one "historic" for SP or CO-OP and one for MP where things should make more sense from the gameplay point of view. And from the second standpoint OP's idea makes sense. Quite a lot of sense actually. Over all the leader mechanic is good idea and arty could use the same but with spotters and artillery commanders.

Return to “Steel Division 2”