how to make light mortars usable

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

how to make light mortars usable

Postby steppewolf » Sat 20 Jul 2019 09:58

We have two light mortars in game, the 50 mm ones and 60 mm ones in German divisions.

I hardly seen an use for all of them. Despite its very nice ROF the 50 mm support one is hardly used due to being easily supressed by infantry squads and not being able to deliver even smoke and the 60 mm one in artillery tab is just too light to be useful compared with others thus I thought to make them double role support weapons.

Source: Gordon L. Rottman- World War II Infantry Fire Support Tactics

So, my idea is to give to the 60 mm one also direct fire (automatic, as it is now for 50 m one) and move it to support tab. Keep the indirect fire ability, eventually nerf it for balance.

Also give 50 mm indirect fire with a range like 800 meters and ability to smoke.

Therefore both light mortars can be deployed along with infantry squads, being able to respond with both types of fire.

The rationale is these light mortars are hardly used although they were very common and deployed at platoon level by most WW2 armies.
Last edited by steppewolf on Sat 20 Jul 2019 10:35, edited 2 times in total.

Miskyavine
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: how to make light mortars usable

Postby Miskyavine » Sat 20 Jul 2019 10:10

Or have them fire at will as they are now would be nice...
How i feel when reading the OFF TOPIC section of the forums http://imgur.com/gallery/t9IXqDs

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Sat 20 Jul 2019 10:19

Miskyavine wrote:Or have them fire at will as they are now would be nice...

indirect fire at will (as it is the direct fire now for 50 mm mortars) would be OP. The rationale is to give some support to infantry squads caught in the open, some HE on a HMG or smoke to give it a chance vs a tank. light mortars are cheap and closer to the fighting area hence could reach quicker and make them usable because as they are not, they hardly worth a place in a deck.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 20 Jul 2019 21:44

The Soviet 50mm also seems to have about 200 to 300 meters too short range.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RM-38

Failing that, 800m for all light mortars may be ok balance wise. They really do suck at the moment.

Should they have more smoke available as well? Or would a 80/20 ratio of HE to smoke be too much?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 20 Jul 2019 22:54

Another thing may be to actually put them in proper rifleman squad, it even says that these were meant to travel with other infantrymen as a platoon.

IronHat
Corporal

Postby IronHat » Sat 20 Jul 2019 23:42

steppewolf wrote:We have two light mortars in game, the 50 mm ones and 60 mm ones in German divisions.

I hardly seen an use for all of them. Despite its very nice ROF the 50 mm support one is hardly used due to being easily supressed by infantry squads and not being able to deliver even smoke and the 60 mm one in artillery tab is just too light to be useful compared with others thus I thought to make them double role support weapons.

Source: Gordon L. Rottman- World War II Infantry Fire Support Tactics

So, my idea is to give to the 60 mm one also direct fire (automatic, as it is now for 50 m one) and move it to support tab. Keep the indirect fire ability, eventually nerf it for balance.

Also give 50 mm indirect fire with a range like 800 meters and ability to smoke.

Therefore both light mortars can be deployed along with infantry squads, being able to respond with both types of fire.

The rationale is these light mortars are hardly used although they were very common and deployed at platoon level by most WW2 armies.

every country had some type of light mortar going into ww2, but all of them sucked except for the US 60mm (which was excellent and become the standard post ww2).

They could just be embedded into a command squad for throwing long range smoke.

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Sat 20 Jul 2019 23:49

IronHat wrote:every country had some type of light mortar going into ww2, but all of them sucked except for the US 60mm (which was excellent and become the standard post ww2).

Yes, the US one was the best indeed while the others of this caliber (50, 60) were not that good, they lacked the range. Since were so bad I am advocating also indirect fire because in actual form the mortar group dies from a sneeze.

IronHat
Corporal

Postby IronHat » Sun 21 Jul 2019 02:19

steppewolf wrote:
IronHat wrote:every country had some type of light mortar going into ww2, but all of them sucked except for the US 60mm (which was excellent and become the standard post ww2).

Yes, the US one was the best indeed while the others of this caliber (50, 60) were not that good, they lacked the range. Since were so bad I am advocating also indirect fire because in actual form the mortar group dies from a sneeze.

I think it would be hard to justify using a slot for a crappy platoon level weapon.

Embedding them to a Leader unit is a natural solution. the leader would be expect to stay close to your line infantry while still be out of line of sight.

Return to “Steel Division 2”