Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Daveallen10
Private First-Class
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 21 May 2016 19:48
Contact:

Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby Daveallen10 » Sun 21 Jul 2019 23:26

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing SD2 for a bit now and I like to provide constructive feedback as much as possible because I want to make the game the best it can be (so I can play it).

That said, a particular mechanic has been really frustrating me recently - it is the automatic unloading of infantry that come under fire (i'm not sure what specifically triggers it - sustained fire or the unit getting stressed). I'm sure all players are aware of this. The infantry in their transports unload and sit on the ground when they start getting shot at. The problem is that this usually happens in open fields - because of the unexpected pathfinding of units coming to the front. In effect, columns of your vehicles may come under fire and the units immediately jump out. This is made especially bad by the disappearing cargo trucks as there is no cover at all. If the vehicles had just proceeded on further to the town under fire - some of them would have made it unscathed. Instead, an entire convoy is decimated by maybe a single tank.

It should be commander's choice if the units leave their vehicles or not as sometimes the mission may call for taking a town while under fire. Additionally, the disappearing troop trucks is still a major nuisance. They should simply stay at the side of the road unusable until the infantry re-embark (so they can't be used as scouts).

duro909
Lieutenant
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2013 22:16
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby duro909 » Mon 22 Jul 2019 21:19

I believe they implemented this mechanice in order to prevent cheap infantry rush down the road and unloading just next to tank/other vauable unit that can be destroyed by close combat.

I believe you can still use armored transports. The infantry shouldnt disembark when under fire and those armored transports (unarmed) should cost the same as trucks, but are slower and limited inavaibility and some divisions completely lack them.
Image
... and Malware-free banner too!

Daveallen10
Private First-Class
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat 21 May 2016 19:48
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby Daveallen10 » Tue 23 Jul 2019 02:04

duro909 wrote:I believe they implemented this mechanice in order to prevent cheap infantry rush down the road and unloading just next to tank/other vauable unit that can be destroyed by close combat.

I believe you can still use armored transports. The infantry shouldnt disembark when under fire and those armored transports (unarmed) should cost the same as trucks, but are slower and limited inavaibility and some divisions completely lack them.


Ok but the problem remains. It's a bad solution to a non existent problem. No one does this even in Wargame. Right now it's very hard to get units in trucks to the Frontline without them bailing.

Considering the game is basically dead on arrival, the devs should be scrambling right now to fix all of these stupid mechanics that just make gameplay frustrating instead of just making unit cost changes.

reef75
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed 26 Jun 2019 07:24
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby reef75 » Tue 23 Jul 2019 18:58

Daveallen10 wrote:That said, a particular mechanic has been really frustrating me recently - it is the automatic unloading of infantry that come under fire (i'm not sure what specifically triggers it - sustained fire or the unit getting stressed). I'm sure all players are aware of this. The infantry in their transports unload and sit on the ground when they start getting shot at. The problem is that this usually happens in open fields - because of the unexpected pathfinding of units coming to the front. In effect, columns of your vehicles may come under fire and the units immediately jump out.


I'm not sure what is wrong with this. Softskins were mostly used to get troops near the front not to enter the combat area. They don't have a very long lifespan under fire. That said who would happily sit in the back of one while under fire ? Infantry know you hit the dirt in the open under fire and grab any cover you can. Sitting in your truck high off the ground is just asking for it. It certainly makes more sense if your in an armoured vehicle but even still it depends what is shooting. A 50.cal could still pierce some APC armour. I tend to unload in safe area and move up on foot. However the AI still catches me out at times with hidden units especially recon/AT infantry that don't move the frontline.

duro909
Lieutenant
Posts: 1071
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2013 22:16
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby duro909 » Tue 13 Aug 2019 06:22

Daveallen10 wrote:
duro909 wrote:I believe they implemented this mechanice in order to prevent cheap infantry rush down the road and unloading just next to tank/other vauable unit that can be destroyed by close combat.

I believe you can still use armored transports. The infantry shouldnt disembark when under fire and those armored transports (unarmed) should cost the same as trucks, but are slower and limited inavaibility and some divisions completely lack them.


Ok but the problem remains. It's a bad solution to a non existent problem. No one does this even in Wargame. Right now it's very hard to get units in trucks to the Frontline without them bailing.

Considering the game is basically dead on arrival, the devs should be scrambling right now to fix all of these stupid mechanics that just make gameplay frustrating instead of just making unit cost changes.


It is an existing problem and it did happened a lot.
You haven´t played Wargame ALB where trucks were 1 point dude :D
Image
... and Malware-free banner too!

User avatar
KillaKow
Master Sergeant
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu 5 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: A small box
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby KillaKow » Wed 14 Aug 2019 09:19

Daveallen10 wrote:Ok but the problem remains. It's a bad solution to a non existent problem. No one does this even in Wargame. Right now it's very hard to get units in trucks to the Frontline without them bailing.

Considering the game is basically dead on arrival, the devs should be scrambling right now to fix all of these stupid mechanics that just make gameplay frustrating instead of just making unit cost changes.


Daveallen10 wrote:Ok but the problem remains. It's a bad solution to a non existent problem. No one does this even in Wargame. Right now it's very hard to get units in trucks to the Frontline without them bailing.


Daveallen10 wrote:No one does this even in Wargame.


*laughs in infantry rush*
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Well it is a problem because you're too late.

RD forums in a nutshell.

User avatar
Miskyavine
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 689
Joined: Sat 18 Feb 2012 09:03
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby Miskyavine » Fri 23 Aug 2019 04:14

The feature exists so your squad doesnt get wiped while still in the truck. Would you stay in a truck if a tank was shooting at it?
How i feel when reading the OFF TOPIC section of the forums http://imgur.com/gallery/t9IXqDs
Image

IronHat
Corporal
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed 26 Jun 2019 08:20
Contact:

Re: Infantry Unloading Under Fire - Nuisance Mechanic

Postby IronHat » Sun 25 Aug 2019 09:23

IIRC only the 0 pt transport will auto unload under fire. The armored halftrack will keep on going.

Considering halftracks are on average much slower than trucks, this is a big reason to take the halftrack.

Return to “Steel Division 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest