Game ALMOST works on LInux with Wne/Proton

ptrPiotr
Private

Game ALMOST works on LInux with Wne/Proton

Postby ptrPiotr » Sat 3 Apr 2021 17:46

Hi, I am trying to run the Steel Division 2 on Linux, with wine/Proton. It works fine to some extent. 90% of times game starts correctly. If it starts I am able to play skirmishes. People report on ProtonDB hat multiplayer is playable.
I checked with Proton-6.5-GE-1 (GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom on github) .

It looks like the game "almost works" on Linux, so I wonder, could you speed some time on fixing those pending bugs? Crashes are not deterministic so to me it looks like there are some real bugs in the game, just hidden or very rare on Windows.

It would be so much easier for people who works on Linux and have an hour or so to play a match. Now to play I have to close all applications and reboot to Windows. Most often I decide not to ;)

chykka
Brigadier

Re: Game ALMOST works on LInux with Wne/Proton

Postby chykka » Sat 10 Apr 2021 06:35

Do you use proton tricks at all? Might be missing some windows packages.
Be advised if you use proton tricks don't change your proton version or you have to rebuild your prefixes.
If you can get the game to run is good. To be super stable is anouther thing. DCS crashes when you press F10 and no one has found a fix yet. But you can just re-bind the map key and it runs fine.
Wargame RD I still get offten crashes when loading into games. Similar to reports on the Protondb on Steel Division II.

ptrPiotr wrote:It would be so much easier for people who works on Linux and have an hour or so to play a match. Now to play I have to close all applications and reboot to Windows. Most often I decide not to ;)

Yeah, I remember when I was almost in full transition late 2019. I actually paid my distro maintainers by that point. Formatted my NTFS game drive. I can relate.

Return to “General Discussions”