Will there be a Linux version of the game?

Pawlerson
Corporal

Will there be a Linux version of the game?

Postby Pawlerson » Wed 18 Jul 2012 22:49

While Steam will be available on Linux this year I wonder if there's any chance you will bring this game to Linux as well? As far as I know the part of Valve's strategy is to convince developers to port their games to Linux. There's a big possibility Valve will offer its help in porting this game. I can contact them if you wish. It seems Wargame is using Python, so it's kinda Linux thing... ;-) I'd really love to have a Linux port, because it's an only game that stops me from removing Windows.

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Will there be a Linux version of the game?

Postby ikalugin » Wed 18 Jul 2012 22:51

Pawlerson wrote:While Steam will be available on Linux this year I wonder if there's any chance you will bring this game to Linux as well? As far as I know the part of Valve's strategy is to convince developers to port their games to Linux. There's a big possibility Valve will offer its help in porting this game. I can contact them if you wish. It seems Wargame is using Python, so it's kinda Linux thing... ;-) I'd really love to have a Linux port, because it's an only game that stops me from removing Windows.

Unlikely, as there are way to many brands of Lunix.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

Pawlerson
Corporal

Postby Pawlerson » Thu 19 Jul 2012 00:26

ikalugin wrote:Unlikely, as there are way to many brands of Lunix.

It's not a case, because Steam will only officially support Ubuntu which is the most popular distribution. As for others community will fix everything for you, because it's only matter of packaging. There are more and more games coming to Linux like Left4Dead2, HL2, Serious Sam 3, Wasteland 2. Some older games like Unreal Tournament 2004 are still working without problems on all major distributions. Port Wargame to Linux and I'll buy another copy. :-)

Operator
Sergeant

Postby Operator » Fri 27 Jul 2012 15:01

Anyway developers can simplify running Wargame under Wine (now it's completely unplayable). But it's another investment of resources and, mainly, time. But one question: will OpenGL render be available under windows?
home.dominges.org - Teamspeak 3 server for Wargame players.

Pawlerson
Corporal

Postby Pawlerson » Fri 27 Jul 2012 21:51

Operator wrote:Anyway developers can simplify running Wargame under Wine (now it's completely unplayable). But it's another investment of resources and, mainly, time. But one question: will OpenGL render be available under windows?

Yeah, wine would be enough for me or even promise Wargame 2 will work on Linux. There's no other game like this and many of the Linux users just loves such stuff.

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 27 Jul 2012 23:56

Converting a DirectX engine to OpenGL is no trivial task. This said I wonder how Eugen is converting the game to Mac - I have a feeling they may be using Cider from Transgaming, meaning that the DirectX calls are converted to OpenGL calls. To quote the Transgaming site:

Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel Mac system and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs. TransGaming's Cider implements common multimedia Windows APIs such as Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound and many others by mapping them to Mac equivalents. This allows games to run with equivalent game play and performance but without the typical brute force porting effort typically required to bring games to Mac.

This is probably why Eugen has been able to bring Wargame to Mac so quickly.
ImageImage

Pawlerson
Corporal

Postby Pawlerson » Sat 28 Jul 2012 09:15

Buck Turgidson wrote:This is probably why Eugen has been able to bring Wargame to Mac so quickly.

That's very possible and this should be even easier to do with Linux, because we have wine and cedega. Cider is just their derivative.

Mawww
Sergeant

Postby Mawww » Wed 1 Aug 2012 16:52

Buck Turgidson wrote:Converting a DirectX engine to OpenGL is no trivial task. This said I wonder how Eugen is converting the game to Mac - I have a feeling they may be using Cider from Transgaming, meaning that the DirectX calls are converted to OpenGL calls. To quote the Transgaming site:

Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel Mac system and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs. TransGaming's Cider implements common multimedia Windows APIs such as Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound and many others by mapping them to Mac equivalents. This allows games to run with equivalent game play and performance but without the typical brute force porting effort typically required to bring games to Mac.

This is probably why Eugen has been able to bring Wargame to Mac so quickly.

We do not use Cider or any wrapper tools, I wrote the OpenGL backend for R.U.S.E. Mac version, and kept it up to date. I'll try to get the OpenGL backend available under Windows but I cannot promise anything.

Concerning the Linux version, we do have an internal version here at Eugen, as my main work machine is a Linux one, however it is not in a releasable shape.

Pawlerson
Corporal

Postby Pawlerson » Wed 1 Aug 2012 18:07

Mawww wrote:Concerning the Linux version, we do have an internal version here at Eugen, as my main work machine is a Linux one, however it is not in a releasable shape.

That's great to hear, because it gives us some hope. I'm sure Valve will be glad to help porting this great game to Linux:

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," Newell said. "It's a hedging strategy.

salamanderrake
Corporal

Postby salamanderrake » Thu 17 Jan 2013 19:35

!Bump!
Since there is a Mac port now for WargameEE how long till there will be a Linux port?
Also please make it 64bit.

Return to “Tech Support”