Invalid target

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Invalid target

Postby w0bbl3r » Wed 26 Sep 2012 15:19

Hi, I just bought the game in the steam sales, only for SP, I do not like RTS games much, but sometimes one comes along that catches my eye, and this was one. But I do not enjoy MP RTS at all, just campaign.

Now, I started the first mission fine, except my units kept deselecting themselves every time I issued an order, meaning I have to click on them every time I want them to move or attack. I can live with that. What I can't live with is that when I come to objective bravo in the first mission, to push back the enemy attack, I beat most of the enemy, and have a single tank and a single APC left to take out. I have my entire tank unit and my recon unit still active. However, when I try to attack the enemy my units just sit there and die. When I mouse over the enemy to attack them, it just says "Invalid target", and I can't tell them to attack.

I have been told on the steam forums this is a known "minor bug" and that it usually happens once in around 50 hours of playtime. Since it is happening to me so badly (I was also told that once you click on another unit the error goes away and for me it didn't), then I can obviously not continue playing.

How do I go about getting a refund?

Elder Forest
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Invalid target

Postby Elder Forest » Mon 1 Oct 2012 22:12

Regarding the de-selection look in the options menu and you should find a sticky unit selection option.

Regarding the invalid target issue are you sure you haven't just run out of main-gun ammunition - did you re-supply your tanks or have you not reached the point yet where you get re-supplied? - if the latter then it definitely sounds like a bug. Have you tried re-starting the mission? you can't be that far into it.

Don't give up - the game gets way better after the first mission which is really little more than a tutorial and it would be a shame to miss out.

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Mon 1 Oct 2012 22:19

Elder Forest wrote:Regarding the de-selection look in the options menu and you should find a sticky unit selection option.

Regarding the invalid target issue are you sure you haven't just run out of main-gun ammunition - did you re-supply your tanks or have you not reached the point yet where you get re-supplied? - if the latter then it definitely sounds like a bug. Have you tried re-starting the mission? you can't be that far into it.

Don't give up - the game gets way better after the first mission which is really little more than a tutorial and it would be a shame to miss out.

Yes, I have replenished my ammo, I have emptied 3 and a half trucks worth of supplies to my tanks and APC.

I have finished the mission now, but it does this regularly. I heard that clicking around different targets and units gets rid of it, and it does after a while, but while I am doing this I can't control any units and they are stuck taking hits out of cover. It takes about 3-5 seconds each time to get rid of it, and it happens every 20 seconds or so when I am in combat. It does mostly happen during combat, rather than when I am just moving units around. This of course makes it worse, because not being able to give orders in combat leads to defeat almost every time.

At the end of the mission I only had a couple of units left, because I had lost most of them due to me losing control of them at a critical time for 5 seconds or so at a time.

It seems to happen in every game, every mission I play, it isn't bad in the first mission, but as they get harder, it's going to be impossible to beat unless I find a fix

Elder Forest
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Elder Forest » Tue 2 Oct 2012 14:01

OK I have not had that issue so can't help you any further - except to suggest maybe going into Steam and refreshing the game cache files.

Hope you manage to get it sorted though.

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Tue 2 Oct 2012 17:29

Thanks, but I tried verifying the cache, defragging the files, all the steam stuff.

Guess I'm just going to have to try a reinstall, see if that sorts it.
People say this is a known small bug that usually happens once every 50 or so hours of play. Since it is happening every few seconds for me, I suppose I must be unlucky or something

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Wed 3 Oct 2012 19:42

The only thing I can think of (given you have ammo) is that you've disabled your weapons. You do this by clicking on the weapon on the bototm panel. It can be renabled by clicking again on the weapon.

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Wed 3 Oct 2012 21:04

Very strange, never heard about that... :|
I have been told on the steam forums this is a known "minor bug" and that it usually happens once in around 50 hours of playtime.
Bull

Activate the sticky selection and try again. If you could make a screenshot of a moment where you have an "invalid target" displayed we would analyse it.

Another thing I have in mind : try to point at the ennemy unit it self and not the square with it's name.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 3 Oct 2012 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Postby the_Monk » Wed 3 Oct 2012 21:44

OP

What kind of mouse are you using? and are you using any kind of software with your mouse? (ie software that allows for binding/configuring of additional buttons on your mouse)

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Wed 3 Oct 2012 23:43

FLX wrote:Very strange, never heard about that... :|
I have been told on the steam forums this is a known "minor bug" and that it usually happens once in around 50 hours of playtime.
Bull

Activate the sticky selection and try again. If you could make a screenshot of a moment where you have an "invalid target" displayed we would analyse it.

Another thing I have in mind : try to point at the ennemy unit it self and not the square with it's name.

"Bull"? What, bull that I read that, or bull that it's a minor bug? I could search around and find where the guy said it if you like. But I don't give a toss whether it's a known bug or not, it is still a bug that I am experiencing.

Once it does this, I can't do anything. If I mouse over an enemy unit, either the box or the actual unit, it's a huge red square with a cross through it, and it says invalid target

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Wed 3 Oct 2012 23:44

the_Monk wrote:OP

What kind of mouse are you using? and are you using any kind of software with your mouse? (ie software that allows for binding/configuring of additional buttons on your mouse)

It's just a standard packard bell mouse, nothing fancy. No software, nothing, just a mouse. It's all I have ever used, I don't go in for spending a lot of money on a mouse. As long as it does the job, and it does, I don't care. This is the only game I have ever had any trouble with.

Return to “Tech Support”