Invalid target

FLX
Lieutenant General

Re: Invalid target

Postby FLX » Thu 4 Oct 2012 01:38

"Bull..." because there is an automatic censure preventing me from saying how stupid what you can find on steam forum can be.

Give us a screenshot so we can eliminate all user-side problems and get some precise indications about when it happens.

We have had people unable to control units because they tried to select the green ones...
That sound stupid but I would like to be sure you're not doing something wrong first, the game isn't always user friendly you know.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Thu 4 Oct 2012 02:28

FLX wrote:"Bull..." because there is an automatic censure preventing me from saying how stupid what you can find on steam forum can be.

Give us a screenshot so we can eliminate all user-side problems and get some precise indications about when it happens.

We have had people unable to control units because they tried to select the green ones...
That sound stupid but I would like to be sure you're not doing something wrong first, the game isn't always user friendly you know.

Ok, I'll get a screenshot the next time I play. But I must say I know that's it's not me doing something wrong because I did manage to get past that mission doing exactly the same thing.

It seemed to be that it is just as the mission gives a new objective, I think it was the objective to clear the enemy outpost on the other side of the border over the bridge (secondary objective). When the problem happens, the mission objective doesn't update, and I can't progress any further because I then can't attack any enemy units.

When it happens and I can click around and get it to change back after a few clicks around the screen it gives a different message in the red cross, something about not being able to move to that area, like I the game thinks I am trying to move out of the boundary of the map or something. Then I click around on units and the clear ground and after a few seconds doing that it goes away. This is the problem that is worst now that I got past the invalid target problem of the first mission.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Thu 4 Oct 2012 14:11

FLX wrote:"Bull..." because there is an automatic censure preventing me from saying how stupid what you can find on steam forum can be.

I hope you don't consider me as stupid now as it was mainly my humble self, answering such posts on steams game hub :lol:
(there are a lot of ppl reporting their problems instead of going here ...)

Edit: Thanks to Tigga and FLX for enlighten my humble self :lol:

W0bbl3r has more than just this little bug - reading what he said, it looks more like his game is unplayable ... no relationship to what I fought (when he had posted this problem for the very first time) ...

So let's wait for futher informations (screenshot, hardware, whatsoever ...)

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Thu 4 Oct 2012 15:40

Master sergeants screenshot is exactly the same as mine. No matter what target it goes on it says invalid target, and it won't change or go away.

Now, I must honestly say that I haven't had this exact same issue since the first 2-3 times I played. Now it has that same big red square, but it says not able to move there, or something similar. Like if you mouse over water or someplace that you can't move to, and the game tells you that it's not possible to go there. This DOES go away from clicking around, but it takes a few times, meaning I can't control units, which isn't nice if I have just been ambushed or something. It's not as bad as the invalid target error, but it still makes the game unplayable when it starts getting hard, as I spend more time clicking randomly around the screen trying to get rid of the problem than actually controlling units, as it tends to happen mostly in combat.

It also doesn't seem to happen right away. I have played twice now with this problem, and it starts off ok for the first half of the mission, and the problem seems to show up after the mission picks up in action. I can kill the first few enemy fine, but when they start turning up in bigger numbers, the problem seems to show up then. Once it shows up it doesn't keep getting worse, it just happens every 20-30 seconds or so, and take around 5 seconds to get rid of.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Thu 4 Oct 2012 17:17

Shifu wrote:Screenshot (one i made months ago ...): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86488267

You can't shoot at the target as you can't hurt it with your HEAT weapon due to insufficient AP. This makes it an invalid target. Not a bug. Perhaps a slightly confusing interface, but not a bug.

Shifu wrote:(even in the english section the problem occured by the BMP-3) some time ago (search function is your friend :P ).

Probably it was out of ATGMs and had no AP weapons as the BMP-3's main gun has 0 AP.

This demonstrates exactly why a screenshot is required.

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Postby the_Monk » Thu 4 Oct 2012 17:28

I don't know if this is the same bug or not, but it has happened to me a few times now (and since I only play MP I can't say if it would happen in SP as well).

1. I select to "buy" a unit from the deployment menu.

2. I attempt to place said unit but anywhere/everywhere on the map generates "invalid target" with a red box. I also cannot "un-buy" the unit to fix the issue.

3. After hitting ESC and selecting something else a few times (yes sometimes it takes a few tries) the issue clears itself.

4. About 1 in every 40 or so games will cause this to happen to me maybe one time the entire match so it is hard to troubleshoot.

I am beginning to suspect that it may have something to do with the in-game STEAM overlay?

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Thu 4 Oct 2012 18:42

@Tigga: You're right about the screen, my mistake, but w0bbl3r had in mission 1 only leo's (and Kurz) ; I've not checked what the BMP-3 issue was about :P - anyway, let's stay on topic, the issue has changed a lot, we can PM each other though

@the_Monk:
You seem to encounter another problem (but with similar effects ?):
You have problems with deploying units while w0bbl3r seems to have a totally weird issue: This red "X"- sign (now with a different caption) haunts him ... considering his last post, it doesn't look like him having a problem with "Invalid-Target", but with wrong "signs" in general ... hope i got it right ;)

Screens from both are highly appreciated :)

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Thu 4 Oct 2012 20:15

Shifu wrote:

I hope you don't consider me as stupid now as it was mainly my humble self, answering his posts on steams game hub :lol:
(there are a lot of ppl reporting their problems instead of going here ...)

Screenshot (one i made months ago ...): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86488267
Note that's not the best situation, but the only one I got as screenshot ... though I've encountered the issue 4 times while playing 200 hours (200/4 = 50 ... just to explain the number ... it's just related to my experience). The problem has concerned more players than me, it was even reported in the german forums (even in the english section the problem occured by the BMP-3) some time ago (search function is your friend :P ).
Furthermore, I'm quite sure that the problem has not occured anytime the last weeks (to me or friends, enemies, it has probably never hit many people and it's easy to solute: you just select another unit and then back and the problem is gone ...

You haven't encountered it ever ? - Lucky you ;)

Well, back on topic, w0bbl3r has more than just this little bug - reading what he said, it looks more like his game is unplayable ... no relationship to what I fought (when he had posted this problem for the very first time) ...

So let's wait for futher informations (screenshot, hardware, whatsoever ...)
AML90 with AP 4 not able to target T72G with front armor 5 is not a bug, BMP3 can have invalid target due to the 100mm gun as well.
There may be a bug that occurs when a unit can't shoot then it can never shoot again or something like that, but the fact to link the bug to an elapsed time and not a situation is just wrong because people end up saying "this bug apears after 50hours"

I've already encountered occurence of units with invalid target so I'm not saying this bug doesn't exisit but a sceenshot give you lot of informations to analyse why it occured.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

w0bbl3r
Private First-Class

Postby w0bbl3r » Thu 4 Oct 2012 20:27

Tigga wrote:
Shifu wrote:Screenshot (one i made months ago ...): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=86488267

You can't shoot at the target as you can't hurt it with your HEAT weapon due to insufficient AP. This makes it an invalid target. Not a bug. Perhaps a slightly confusing interface, but not a bug.

Shifu wrote:(even in the english section the problem occured by the BMP-3) some time ago (search function is your friend :P ).

Probably it was out of ATGMs and had no AP weapons as the BMP-3's main gun has 0 AP.

This demonstrates exactly why a screenshot is required.

Ok, after taking a closer look, it's not EXACTLY the same. I have leopard main battle tanks, and the enemy has an APC and a few main battle tanks (T-90 if I remember right), and I can target them with neither MY tanks, which can fire at pretty much anything, and had already destroyed IDENTICAL tanks earlier (and destroyed THOSE EXACT tanks when I managed to play it later), and I couldn't target them with my recon unit, a BMP-type thing, I forget the name.

If you will just fire up the first mission you will see that the only units that can't actually target things are the supply trucks, which I had sitting next to my tanks resupplying them a minute earlier, they were NOT out of ammo, how many times do I have to say this?

But as I said, this issue hasn't recurred for a while, I have been sporadically getting the same cursor (big red box with red cross), but saying like I can't move somewhere, even if I am holding it over a unit, or the ground right under my units or whatever. I can then do nothing until I click around a bunch of times and then it goes away.

After just playing through the mission again, it only occurred very briefly once, and since I was in the middle of a fight, I never thought to grab it, and by the time I thought I had clicked around and it was gone, because I was in a bit of a frenzy trying to save my units.
But like a previous post says, it did seem to start AFTER I had purchased some units, but it had let me place them. But before the ability to buy units was there the problem has never shown itself.

The problem DOES seem to be getting better, it hasn't happened as much, or as badly, as it did the first few times I tried to play. If it happens once in a mission I can live with that. If it starts to recur badly again I will grab the first screenshot I can of it

Return to “Tech Support”