Failed Steam Activation - Retail Key

Timmynator
Private

Failed Steam Activation - Retail Key

Postby Timmynator » Wed 25 Dec 2013 22:18

Hello there,

I'm got a retail version of Wargame EE as a Christmas present on DVD and can't seem to install it. Since it forces an installation through Steam, Steam inevitably asks for an activation code. From what I've been able to gather around the interwebs the retail activation code is incompatible with Steam hence Steam always reports an invalid key.
My retail code looks like this: XX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX and I understand Steam can only handle XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX structured keys.

Since the installation won't continue without a valid key, I am also being deprived of the option of manually activating the game through acpc.exe which requires the game to be installed first.

This puts me in a bit of a bind since I can't install the game without a Steam-valid code (which I don't have since I own the retail version) and I can't manually activate the game without a proper installation.

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of a solution since Steam support was less than helpful at "how to add a third-party game to Steam" and the most helpful pointers for my problem came from http://www.focus-home.com/support/wargame-ee/

It's really frustrating and I just can't fathom the idea of a "backup copy" being the only way solution to play a game I legally own (short of buying it again through Steam which defeats the purpose of this gift). :(

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Further developments: Steam has now apparently accepted the key and is now giving me a "duplicate key error". What to do now?

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Re: Failed Steam Activation - Retail Key

Postby Shifu » Fri 27 Dec 2013 14:15

Well, I know there was no problem long time ago when the game was released .. mail to eugsupport@eugen.fr, they used to deal with key issues.

Timmynator
Private

Re: Failed Steam Activation - Retail Key

Postby Timmynator » Mon 30 Dec 2013 00:47

Thanks for the email address, I'll give that a shot :)

I'll update this when the situation progresses...

Return to “Tech Support”