Tigga's non-rushers guide to 1v1 ranked

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Tigga's non-rushers guide to 1v1 ranked

Postby Tigga » Thu 6 Sep 2012 14:31

So, having played a reasonable amount of 1v1 ranked games since I came back to playing Wargame I was disappointed to find people often doing the same mistakes as when I stopped playing much a few months ago. I've also read in several places that "all of the top players are rushers", which isn't really truthful. For this reason I thought I'd post a little guide with suggestions of how to play 1v1 ranked without rushing. Some of the suggestions are applicable to larger game modes, but the context is 1v1 ranked. For anybody doubting the validity of my advice you are welcome to click the following link: http://www.wargame-ee.com/index.php?rub ... rofile=217 (disclaimer: I'd guess 10-20% of those games were 2v2 ranked, I know three of them were 3v3 ranked, and I'm fairly sure draws are counted as defeats).

Part 1: Getting rushed
While I'm not really talking about rushing people getting rushed is something you're going to have to deal with fairly often when playing 1v1. There are several key rules to remember:
1) Get recon out early. I always build a recon helicopter and send it forward ASAP. This tells me if I'm getting rushed, where I'm getting rushed, and the composition of the rushing force.
2) Keep points in reserve. I suggest 200 as a minimum, though it depends on the map. Often rushes will have a lot of forces of one type in a group. If there are flankers they might be a different type. Know what can counter each force type:
a) Lots of tanks in a rush => Counter with ATGMs
b) Lots of APCs in a rush => Counter with ACs/fast tanks/infantry
c) Lots of helicopters in a rush => Counter with AA
A lot of people will tend not to bring much AA with their rushes, so a counter to any ground rush without much AA is lots of helicopters with rockets, especially if you can take out what AA there is early.
3) DON'T PANIC. You panic and you're going to make mistakes. Try to react quickly, but try not to lose your head. The first few times you get rushed you probably will panic, but experience helps here.
4) Work out where they're going. If they're driving directly toward your command truck, your command truck needs to be somewhere else. Either drive it to an out-of-sector wood (if you can do it unseen) or away from the rushers. Make sure you know about any flankers they have as you may drive straight into them.
5) Avoid getting in the way with a smaller force. Engage the rush piecemeal and their local concentration of force will smash you. Retreat and regroup.
6) Don't play every game like you're going to get rushed. Play them like you might get rushed. If you don't advance and take ground you will lose to everybody, rushers and non-rushers alike.

There are further anti-rush tactics that work. Starting with one command truck and spare cash, for example, tends to be safer than going with multiple starting command trucks. You can quickly call on another either to stay in the game (if they're helicopter rushing and going to nail your first one), or to be your second in the case they're not rushing. The slightly lower income in a non-rush game doesn't set you back much if you can detect whether they're rushing or not early with your helicopter. Another thing to bear in mind is that your extra cash is useless if you don't control a deployment area. Keeping your command truck still for the first 30 seconds of the game can be vital to defeating rushes.

If you are Pact, hopefully you will have started with a Buratino. Rushes don't like Buratios. I recommend hotkeying shortly after the start. If you're NATO sadly you don't have anything similar.

Part 2: Starting composition
There's no golden rule as for what you should start with. You need something to attack with (in case the enemy starts with 3 command vehicles), something to defend with (in case the enemy rushes), AA, supplies and recon. The exact proportions depend on the map, and you as a player. You should also make sure you have your command trucks adequately covered.

One thing I've not mentioned is arty. Firstly - multiple long range tube arty pieces tend to be a bad idea. If you think you might need it, save the money and call it on when you actually do need it. It doesn't take long before you can be firing, and if you don't need it you'll save a lot of money. It tends to only become useful when things settle down anyway. There is scope for a single big hitter (Dana/AuF1 tend to be the favourites, though NATO can replace this with some mortars, and Pact with other tube arty or a Buratino), however they need to be moved forward with your force. While I don't tend to start with any arty as NATO, a Buratino can cause carnage right from the start, so I do like starting with one.

Rocket arty is up to personal preference and the map. Unlike tube arty it can be used effectively when the game is still dynamic, so starting with it is a possibility. I personally don't think it's worth it, except perhaps on Rivers of Blood or Fulda Gap, where the income is extremely high, and early assaults struggle to do much damage.

The next question is command trucks. I don't think I'd ever recommend starting with three, but two can work. Three is simply far too many points invested and opens you up to early attacks. Two works, but you can often do just as well by starting with one and calling the second on within the first minute. It costs you a little bit, sure, but if you need to spend those extra points to defend against a rush you'll be thankful for them! Alternatively you can go with just one, though this is map dependant as you really want both a relatively high value sector, and a useful deployment point, and this isn't a very common combination.

Finally, to FOB or not to FOB? Deleting it gives you an extra hundred points, and hence the edge early game, but if you can't make use of this edge it bogs you down mid-game as the FOB is a very points efficient way of giving supplies. If you plan to be fairly aggressive early I'd say delete it. Same if you think your opponent is likely to rush you, however be aware that in the mid-game those 100pts you got at the start are going to cost you 200pts in called-in supplies.

The four most common mistakes with starting composition I see are:
1) Too many ATGMs, not enough heavier stuff. This struggles against somebody who takes more land early then refuses to attack, as ATGMs aren't really great at pushing forward.
2) Too many heavy tanks. There's an argument for a single 100+ point tank well used in a 1v1 game, but not four, and two is probably too many. Those days are over.
3) Too light of a force. More expensive tanks are worse than before due to the ATGM buff, but stick to <50 point tanks and a single well managed 100+ point tank can really mess with you if you try to do any sort of attack. You don't have to go with a 100+ point tank yourself, but you need something that is both mobile, and can actually hurt one.
4) Too much arty. See above.

Part 3: The first few seconds
I'm firmly of the belief that if something can be done well to significantly improve performance, than it should. There are two main ways to deploy and conduct the first few seconds:
1) Blob your units as close as possible to the fastest route to their destination and fast move them in blobs as soon as the game starts. You can then pick out individual units/unit types en-route for more specific orders.
2) Deploy your units by group and spend the first few seconds hotkeying them. This is slightly slower, but you'll meet the enemy in a more organised fashion.

Which you chose is up to you. I personally tend to go with 1) mostly, though I'll sometimes have elements of 2). Needless to say you should be paying attention when the game starts, and preferably already have the box selected for your first orders. Game can be won and lost by who reaches a bit of cover first, or by those extra few seconds of intel either as or against an early aggressor. If I'm playing larger games I tend to get rather annoyed by teammates who don't have anything moving by the 10 second mark.

Part 4: Strategy
Just some basics:
1) If you're significantly up on income it's probably not a good idea to attack. Sit tight building up your defenses and wait for him to come to you. The longer he leaves it, the larger your force advantage will be. If you see him building up arty, build up more of your own. He won't win that battle as you can simply afford more guns.
2) Similarly if you're down on income you should be looking to either attack or expand your income. It's the opposite of the above situation. Try to arty, and you'll get hit back with more arty. You need to match the incomes or you'll lose the long game.

If things are looking bad early->midgame it's often worth sending a few flanking forces very wide in the hopes that your opponent has made his advantage in the main area due to no resources spend guarding the flanks/CVs.

Appendix: Rushing
Of course it's always nice to be able to do it back, especially if you know your opponent is weak against it. A good rush typically involves a fast large force down the middle (don't forget the AA!) and smaller forces on each flank. The flanking forces can often come in as they're distracted by the large force and actually do most of the killing. Don't forget AA, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

That's it (for now!). At the moment I'm often casting on http://www.livestream.com/tgapples from ~5pm GMT to about 9pm GMT most nights, though sometimes I don't. Sometimes the hours are shorter, and sometimes they're longer.
Last edited by Tigga on Mon 19 Nov 2012 02:36, edited 2 times in total.

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Tigga's non-rushers guide to 1v1 ranked

Postby Spektre » Thu 6 Sep 2012 14:50

good!

maybe it helps,
u written all that again :)

i remember satires post... lost in the deepths of this forum
WTF?

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 6 Sep 2012 14:54

A bit late in the game's lifetime, but a good read.

Funny thing is that people will disagree to those basic things. I even saw people recommending not to use recon helicopters: "Too costly OMG!", though it's true units like regular gazelles can sometimes do the the job.

Talking about recon helicopters, what do you do with them after the initial clash? I tend to have them fall back and hover above a forest in order to see any flanking move.

When i spot an APC rush, I prefer to spawn helicopters with either rockets and/or good machineguns. Cobras against PACT, and any pact helo. Or do you think it's not enough firepower against numbers?
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Thu 6 Sep 2012 14:55

i will translate it for the german forum
WTF?

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Thu 6 Sep 2012 14:56

i tend to move the recon heli...
use it, but carefull
WTF?

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Thu 6 Sep 2012 15:06

DeuZerre wrote:Funny thing is that people will disagree to those basic things. I even saw people recommending not to use recon helicopters: "Too costly OMG!", though it's true units like regular gazelles can sometimes do the the job.

Talking about recon helicopters, what do you do with them after the initial clash? I tend to have them fall back and hover above a forest in order to see any flanking move.

I'm pretty sure most helis have poor optics, so aren't really that good.

I tend to move my recon heli out to my weaker flank to check for flanking forces before moving it back toward the middle. Positioning off it takes some experience as you obviously want it as far forward as possible without it being in range of the enemy. I'll then use it throughout the game as a quick reaction recon if I need recon in an area quickly.

When i spot an APC rush, I prefer to spawn helicopters with either rockets and/or good machineguns. Cobras against PACT, and any pact helo. Or do you think it's not enough firepower against numbers?

It really depends how much AA they bring. More AA=>ACs and infantry and fast stuff works better, less AA=>Helicopters. The more AA they have the less infantry they'll have, so you don't often see much AA and they often rely instead on machine guns, so micro is important, as is hovering off to the side so they aren't driving right at you. It also depends on where they are, and where you want to meet them. It may be that only helicopters are fast enough.

Incidentally, Satire's post which says a lot of what I said about rushing in a slightly different way (and for a previous patch) is here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3821

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Thu 6 Sep 2012 15:13

DeuZerre wrote:A bit late in the game's lifetime, but a good read.

Heretic! Burn the witch!

:D

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Thu 6 Sep 2012 16:28

OpusTheFowl wrote:
DeuZerre wrote:A bit late in the game's lifetime, but a good read.

Heretic! Burn the witch!

:D

There are still plenty of people who do mindless rush-type attacks very early in the game active in the top 20 of the Elo rankings, so I'm hoping that people will read this and drop them down a bit to more realistic Elo scores. 1v1 ranked is still pretty easy to get a game on too, especially so after they added the additional info about who is searching.

Spektre
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spektre » Thu 6 Sep 2012 16:33

haha i seen that game on ur cast
ur reaction was so funny... same again...callin cobras...

but sometimes i think ppl get nervous
when playin against u, makin stupid mistakes then
but i dont talk about that elo 2000+ guy
WTF?

chema1994
Lieutenant General

Postby chema1994 » Fri 7 Sep 2012 12:05

Good guide ;)

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”