Quick Selecting Units (new to game)

Spridder
Sergeant First-Class

Quick Selecting Units (new to game)

Postby Spridder » Wed 26 Dec 2012 20:54

Hi all,

I just picked this game up on steam. Love it so far.

I was just wondering if there was a quick was to select units.

An example would be: im fighting and i want to quickly change where my artillery is aiming. Rather than moving to where the artillery is on the map, i envision being able to simply hit a button on the keyboard which would select them and then tell them to stop and change where they are aiming.

I hope this is something that you can do in this game because i find myself jumping all over the map and alot of time is wasted..

If you could help me out id appreciate it.. also, any other tips that i might not know would be very helpful.. ive already learned alot from the threads on this forum.

Thanks!
Firefitter on steam
Firefitter in Wargame

Crotou
Colonel

Re: Quick Selecting Units (new to game)

Postby Crotou » Wed 26 Dec 2012 21:30

Hello,

You can put your units into groups. To do that, you just have to select the required units then press CTRL + "number you choose".

This way, you can select your group of units by pressing the right key. If you press twice in a row, the camera will go to the group of units' location.

artao
Master Sergeant

Postby artao » Fri 28 Dec 2012 20:24

Wait, what? If you press a group number twice it jumps to them? THAT'S AWESOME!! ... I gotta wonder why they didn't put these sorts of things in the fricken manual. <sigh>

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Fri 28 Dec 2012 21:21

Page 13 of the Manual: Of course you actually have to read up to page 13 before you succumb to the RTFM malaise. :D

MAIN COMMANDS
Basic Commands
• Select a unit / multiple units: left click on the unit, or lasso over multiple units to select one
or more.
• Move: when a unit is selected, right click on the ground/minimap.
• Attack: when a unit is selected, right click on an enemy unit.
• Shift (held down): queue up orders
Unit Groups:
• Create a group: when multiple units are selected, hit Ctrl + 1 to 9.
• Select a group: when you have set up groups, hit 1 to 9.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

skyray
Staff Sergeant

Postby skyray » Fri 11 Jan 2013 23:43

I love using control groups. Even though I knew what the OP was trying to do, I had no idea that double tapping a control group's number would take the camera to it. I didn't see that anywhere in the manual and I did RTFM. There seems to be a lot missing from there. There's not even a good explanation of HOW unit order queueing does and doesn't work. Most of that I got from Sikke Sakke's vid, for which I am very grateful.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing."

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”