[Guide]Pact infantry choices with the new patch

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

[Guide]Pact infantry choices with the new patch

Postby Vasily Krysov » Tue 19 Mar 2013 02:22

With the new patch, the situation for pact infantry has changed up quite a bit in my opinion. So here are my thoughts on how things have changed. To start with, the good BMP's have had price changes and the BTR60's now have only bullet-proof armour and the first two SKOTs are the same. Zmechs are now a 10 man team.

- Piechota Zmech. HP increased from 5 to 10.
- Piechota Zmech. price increased from 5 to 10$.
- Piechota Zmech. availability increased from 24 to 30.

- BMP-1 Obr.1970 price increased from 20$ to 25$.
- BMP-1 Obr.1970 availability increased from 8 to 12.
- BMP-1P price increased from 25$ to 35$.
- BMP-1P availability increased from 4 to 8.
- BMP-1D availability increased from 4 to 8.

- OT-64 SKOT-1 max armor reduced to bulletproof.
- OT-64 SKOT-2 max armor reduced to bulletproof.
- OT-62 TOPAS-2A price increased from 10 to 15$.
- BTR-60PB max armor reduced to bulletproof.
- SPW-60PB max armor reduced to bulletproof.

For your mechanized infantry there's now only one really efficient choice, the Mot.-Shutzen in the BMP1 SP-2. The reasons for this are simple, with the changes to the BMP prices, the BMP-1P is now too expensive to be used, forcing us down a model to the Obr 1970. For the price of the BMP-1P you can now get a BMP2, which you should do if you're going for quality over quantity.

BMP-1 Obr. 1970 + Motostrelci = 30pts
BMP-1 Obr. 1970 + Motostrelki = 35pts
BMP-1 Obr. 1970 + Piechota Zmech = 35pts
BMP1 SP-2 + Mot.-Shutzen = 35pts.

As you can see they all cost the same, but one is far more effective than the others. The MotoK are merely average but have the best availability. MotoC are still only 5 man teams making them unsuitable for the mechanized infantry role. The Zmech have poor RPG accuracy, decent rifles and the 2nd best numbers.

As a side note, you should recognise that the BMP cannon will now one shot most APC's if it hits. Very nice!

Mot.-Shutzen, however, are shock infantry so they get acc 9, HE2 7.62mm rifles and perfectly usable RPG's. Only 20 of them, but that should be plenty as your main striking force is no longer infantry, but Tanks. But this brings us to...

The line infantry of your deck. Your bread and butter infantry that need to be effective enough, but also plentiful because they will be used for both attack and defence. For this I use the Zmech in the TOPAS. The TOPAS will move fast enough, has an MMG and most importantly, still has 1 front armor, which greatly improves it's chances in the assault. The only problem is the low operational range, but has yet to be a real factor in my games. SKOT-1s not even having an MMG has never sat well with me and now only being bulletproofed makes them terrible in an assault. I'd also try to avoid using the TOPAS2A as for the same price you could get the BMP-1 which would be more effective overall.

The next infantry type is the raider, which to me currently stands at a tie between BTR MotoK and SKOT MotoC. The MotoK has lower operational range so you will totally need to stick to roads for longer drives and they do cost a little more. But they are more flexible. MotoC are still dirt cheap, the SKOT has amazing range and is fast. Worse against infantry, better against vehicles. I'd say it's down to your intention. If it's a kamikaze strike against artillery, HQ or SAMs, the MotoC would probably work better. If you're trying to sneak infantry in to be a more persistent problem, go with MotoK.

For scouts you should use the Grenzer. They're cheap and have very good optics. Some might still prefer VPZU, but that's your preference.

Last but not least is the HQ guards. For this is use the FJB40 as the two primary threats to a rear area command is helicopters and Spec Ops. With HE3 rifles and MANPADs they are adept at countering both. With their good optics you'll even have better forewarning of incoming attacks. A bargain at 30 points.

Now, when it comes to MANPADS you have 3 choices from best to worst: Iglas, Strela-3 and Strela-2. S-2 are just terrible and should not be used unless you have to (gimmick decks). S-3 still partially has a role due to it's 12 availability which allows you to cover a very wide network. The best however is the Igla. it will one shot any NATO chopper except for the Chinook, Blackhawk or Apache. It also has a fairly wide area of effect, so it will be quite often that you will take down a few with one missile. It's low availability however of 8 means you have to keep an eye on them and never be wasteful in placing them.
Last edited by Vasily Krysov on Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

dzimmu
Second-Lieutenant

Re: [Guide]Pact infantry choices with the new patch

Postby dzimmu » Tue 19 Mar 2013 02:31

MANPADS igla only makes sense. It is recognized by all the marshals strelа 2-3 is not used, they can not simply oppose anything against the massive use of hogs.
http://replays.escalation.eu/index.php?viewReplay=1144
Check out what's doing with fjb40 helicopter equipped with he2 rockets.
panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:Nor has there been a decent explanation why US debt is relevant to the fact the panzersaurkrautwefer are unable to focus on his own problems. Mental exercise: total Russia collapse. Like literally. Customs union falls into a black hole..

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Tue 19 Mar 2013 02:38

Yep, Igla, accept no substitutes. Its literally the best AA in the game. Otherwise a very good guide.

Best wishes,
Daniel.
Nationality? - Russian.
Occupation? - No, no, just visiting.

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Postby Vasily Krysov » Tue 19 Mar 2013 02:44

I should clarify that I usually go with 2-3 FJB40 per command and they are not the primary air defense, rather they are the last line of defense against the small group that breaks through or sneaks in. Depending on the zone, I will have even more defenses in that area.

dzimmu
Second-Lieutenant

Postby dzimmu » Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:13

I should clarify that I usually go with 2-3 FJB40 per command and they are not the primary air defense, rather they are the last line of defense against the small group that breaks through or sneaks in. Depending on the zone, I will have even more defenses in that area.
I must assure you that very soon you will be convinced that any pact deck should be igla. Simply because no other defense will not provide at least some chance that the fight against massive attack hogs.
And already at the start of the game to take 6-8 units iglas
panzersaurkrautwefer wrote:Nor has there been a decent explanation why US debt is relevant to the fact the panzersaurkrautwefer are unable to focus on his own problems. Mental exercise: total Russia collapse. Like literally. Customs union falls into a black hole..

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Postby Vasily Krysov » Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:22

Well MANPADS were not intended to be covered in this guide, being concerned mostly with rifle infantry. But Now I'll have to expand it eh? I'm already rolling with Igla infantry.

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:23

Use fully vetted Strela 2's for 20p. they do 3-5HE damage consistantly and will often one shot hogs. Fully vetted Iglas/stingers can do 9HE damage consistently as well and even one shot an apache once in a while.

Also LAAD's/inf in buildings can not be seen by a recon helo until about 1km away in test. So most should be able to shoot without even taking fire. I have seen them shoot from inside a forest edge without ever even being revealed!
Last edited by Radioshow on Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:24, edited 1 time in total.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

rhylsadar
First Sergeant

Postby rhylsadar » Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:24

im not really open to fjb as defencive unit, they cost too mutch for that use

Radioshow
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Radioshow » Tue 19 Mar 2013 03:27

rhylsadar wrote:im not really open to fjb as defencive unit, they cost too mutch for that use

They are a recon unit in essence and will hit 2 out of 4 missiles generally. So they will usually get one helo.
Their main use is to recon an area and scare off any passing helos. Their rifles will also down NATO helos very quickly.
I have seen them used with air transport and dropped to shoot down enemy transports at destination while you vpzu/spets get in position.

Very specific uses for them but I have seen them used to good effect.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:Radioshow is not a troll, he is our resident Doom Prophet.

dzimmu
Second-Lieutenant

Postby dzimmu » Tue 19 Mar 2013 04:47

:(
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Tue 19 Mar 2013 04:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inflammatory