[guide] Choosing your PACT infantry

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Re: [guide] Choosing your PACT infantry

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 10 Apr 2012 10:06

Nils1983 wrote:nice post, but i really struggle what to do best against enemy reinforcement arrows. On nato you simply put an delta force but here?

Well, pact has it more difficult than NATo somehow.

The best you can do is to have 2 VDV + 1 FJB I guess. VDV will just blast any armour, and FJB will clear the skies. The only problem is PACT has no "small" ressuply helicopter to go with them until they capture trucks (if they ever do).

You can also replace the VDV by 4 VPZU, but They are nasty enough to be used elsewhere.
Last edited by DeuZerre on Tue 10 Apr 2012 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Cruswald
Corporal

Postby Cruswald » Tue 10 Apr 2012 10:15

Yes, thank you ! Once again great guide, bound to become a reference like the NATO one !

diana olympos
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby diana olympos » Tue 10 Apr 2012 11:56

Great guide but i disagree with you on Skot2A...

For me it's the Skot2 that is useless and the Skot2A that is the best upgrade...

why? cause of the AA abilty of the Hmg...

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Tue 10 Apr 2012 12:12

Well, the problem with the SKOT-2A is that it becomes overpriced for a transport.

For 15 points, you have a transport that has two weapons that can slightly damage helicopters, and scratch the paint of the weakest tanks, while generally, you transport infantry around 5 points (A transport costing three times the unit it is carrying has to be extremely good!).

For higher value transported units, they only need MMGs to scare the lightest ones, or die from heavier ones that will outrange the HMG/stun them. For say 12 points, it would be alright. At 15points each, it's a bit too pricey for something that will only damage infantry units and scare off light helos.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Cruswald
Corporal

Postby Cruswald » Tue 10 Apr 2012 13:52

If it's for cheap units, just to carry them to their destination, intial deployement in woods or suicide run to enemy tanks with motostrelci, the 5pts one, is sufficient. Moreover, spados in skot 1 is the cheapest combination for shock troops...
If used for infiltration of 4VPZU, I prefer the "heavy" armed skot 2A

However, there is something to be said about APC with MMG (skot 2, spartan, saracen, topas, fuchs) the range of the weapon is the same as the rifles and RPG of the units they generally carry. So I find it useful : when the APC start shooting, it's time to disembark the boys.

Each one has its use...

Cruswald
Corporal

Postby Cruswald » Tue 10 Apr 2012 14:22

DeuZerre wrote:
Nils1983 wrote:nice post, but i really struggle what to do best against enemy reinforcement arrows. On nato you simply put an delta force but here?

Well, pact has it more difficult than NATo somehow.

The best you can do is to have 2 VDV + 1 FJB I guess. VDV will just blast any armour, and FJB will clear the skies. The only problem is PACT has no "small" ressuply helicopter to go with them until they capture trucks (if they ever do).

You can also replace the VDV by 4 VPZU, but They are nasty enough to be used elsewhere.

Well, I agree that NATO is better equipped than pact for air infiltration. Lynx and Huey are smaller, troops are very well equipped, especially, to confront air threats (strela 2 is awfull). And as you said, they have good resupply helicopters.
To be honest, I'm not very good for cover ops with helicopters, people tend also to become more competent to detect these tactics, i think. Another problem is that it takes slots in your deck for a specialized task.

That's why I tend to use ground infiltrations with pact, that's not so difficult to achieve, and there, the force composition is limitless. Disavantage, it takes time...

Calmdown
Staff Sergeant

Postby Calmdown » Tue 10 Apr 2012 15:36

Air Infiltration is honestdly not really that good anyway. It's mostly good for getting a unit of Delta Force to somewhere when the game begins, or dropping a unit of Green Jackets somewhere to observe. Dropping a whole force behind enemy lines is a very weak strategy - prone to running into hidden enemy AA, easy to overwhelm once it engages, etc. Infiltrating via a flanking, ground based force is a much better and flexible tactic with less risk involved.

danuuker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby danuuker » Wed 11 Apr 2012 00:28

Calmdown wrote:Air Infiltration is honestdly not really that good anyway. It's mostly good for getting a unit of Delta Force to somewhere when the game begins, or dropping a unit of Green Jackets somewhere to observe. Dropping a whole force behind enemy lines is a very weak strategy - prone to running into hidden enemy AA, easy to overwhelm once it engages, etc. Infiltrating via a flanking, ground based force is a much better and flexible tactic with less risk involved.

Would be nice to actually air lift some light vehicles (like the ASU-85) and such, would make an heli air assault so much more interesting. :twisted:

Anyway, nice guide again. PACT infantry definitely has a much wider spread of viable choices compared to NATO infantry.

DeuZerre

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 12 Apr 2012 00:09

Slight change in the ATGM category in order to prepare for the incoming patch.
Marshal honoris causa

Cruswald
Corporal

Postby Cruswald » Sat 14 Apr 2012 01:02

Here is my actual choice for pact infantry in my deck, i would gladly receive any comments or advices about it.

Rifle squad : motostrelki + BTR. I know it's an average combination. For me the role of the rifle squads is to be numerous and cheap with the capability to hold their ground. They are front line holders. I usually take them wirh the cheapest BTR and VET 2. Availability is great with 40 squads available. At 22 points, they remain rather cheap (only 2 points more then the majority of NATO rifle squads usual combination of troops and transport). The VET 2 improve greatly their efficiency giving them very good accuracy (8-9-12), boosted morale (better rate of fire ? I'm not sure if it's a benefit of veterancy). Additonal bonus to the accuracy of the BTR HMG. This VET thing, good idea or not ?

Shock troops : choice is more difficult here. Spades with their fast transport and cheap overall price could be an asset. But I usually go with the mot-schutzen with the BMP1-SP2 (i would love to be able to put these guys in BMP2 serie :roll: ). Not cheap, but a powerful combination able to provide a good support to hot points.

Special forces : 4VPZU + skots. Reconnaissance, infiltration. They are costlier than the grenzers but with far better stats and faster transports for recon duties. Due to their fast transport, they are able to establish first presence on the frontline at the beginning until the motostrelki in their slow APC arrive. I'm not very good at using transport helicopters and as such, don't take slots on my deck for airborne units. Moreover, I rarelly use more than 2 of them when I try. I often send land infiltration groups where I can cover every threat. But sometime, when I feel the necessity for airlift, I buy 2 MI24, 2 4VPZU; get them out of their skots and put them in the helis, and go rampaging behind enemy lines. i find it a better usage of my infantry slots taking advantage of the capacity of combat helis to carry troops.

Heavy shock troops : spetsnaz + BTR70 ( nothing is too good for them). Essential to every pact deck, me think, except maybe when we will have Wargame : middle east escalation and flat desert maps :ugeek: . They are the gods of the woods and infantry combat. Honestly, I use them more often than the mot schutzen for support of the motostrelki and switch to mot-schutzen when they are spent. I guess I should try to use in different roles (support vs assault) but which one for which role ?
I would tend to say, mot shutzen for assault thanks to their BMP (resilience, AT capacity, more expendable than the Spetsnaz) and spestnaz for support (average transport but fast for quicker support, motostrelki provides AT capacity). What do you think ?

ATGM squad : PTUR konkurs, nothing special, Konkurs have greater edge now on the Fagot teams due to the increased range of heavy armor equal the the one of the fagot. With this increase, if the ATGM become more situational to use. i might consider switching them for something else : motostrelci for suicide run to enemy tanks, grenzers to spare 4VPZU of recon duties, spados for agressive push of the frontline. Ideas ?

As said earlier by DeuZerre, that's only my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”