[guide] Choosing your PACT infantry

FLX
Lieutenant General

Re: [guide] Choosing your PACT infantry

Postby FLX » Mon 31 Dec 2012 06:19

Krauter wrote:When I do so, I generally have tanks and atgm sitting on the outskirts with things like MotostrelKi in the middle.

What if your opponent does the same ? Avoiding every forest with a margin of 2600m around will not let you many places to go I think.
You can always go for artillery but the bigger the forest he less effective it is. And to clear town arty is not enough you need troops.

Don't take spetz in Mi8 if they are here to clear a forest you don't need that much speed, the forest won't move ;)

There is only one moment when you need troops in choppers : the first minute when you try to size a key part of the map.
After that first minute of the game you never call airborne infantry. It's cheaper to call standard infantry and load them in empty helo and you have time to do this since things have settled.
If you don't plan to use airborne troops during deployment you don't need airborne troops at all. If you are playing on a map with a very key sector in the middle like Storm eye you can use up to 2 slots to be sure to control it first.
But airborne operation are not mandatory, you can already prevent an ennemy drop with attack helicopters, air recon and artillery and send your troops by the road to spare money.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

Krauter
Corporal

Postby Krauter » Mon 31 Dec 2012 06:52

Hmm.. I'm thinking I might just discard the VDV entirely then. I dont use them a whole lot and I might get better use out of an LAAD team.. thanks for all the help!

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Mon 31 Dec 2012 14:48

As PACT, HE2 squads are best as the damage dealers: Put them behind their meatshields (motostrelci/Piuechota Zmech) and they're perfect.

As nato it's a bit different.

But as pact it's combined forces all the way.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Soundwolf776 » Tue 1 Jan 2013 22:40

Vet2-3 motostrelki on BTRs can also do nicely as ad-hoc shock troops. In groups of 3 they're quite capable at taking on standart NATO targets like groups of Chaseurs/Fusilers and single Delta squads. And those BTRs at vet3 can do some real damage.

Krauter
Corporal

Postby Krauter » Wed 2 Jan 2013 09:18

FLX wrote:
Krauter wrote:When I do so, I generally have tanks and atgm sitting on the outskirts with things like MotostrelKi in the middle.

What if your opponent does the same ? Avoiding every forest with a margin of 2600m around will not let you many places to go I think.
You can always go for artillery but the bigger the forest he less effective it is. And to clear town arty is not enough you need troops.

Don't take spetz in Mi8 if they are here to clear a forest you don't need that much speed, the forest won't move ;)

There is only one moment when you need troops in choppers : the first minute when you try to size a key part of the map.
After that first minute of the game you never call airborne infantry. It's cheaper to call standard infantry and load them in empty helo and you have time to do this since things have settled.
If you don't plan to use airborne troops during deployment you don't need airborne troops at all. If you are playing on a map with a very key sector in the middle like Storm eye you can use up to 2 slots to be sure to control it first.
But airborne operation are not mandatory, you can already prevent an ennemy drop with attack helicopters, air recon and artillery and send your troops by the road to spare money.

Is it worth it to take VDV with Mi-24 and take the Mi-24 out of my heli slot? If not I will most likely be taking :

Spetz-BTR
Konkurs-BTR
MotostrelKi-BMP1
4VPZU-Skot (maybe Mi-8 for infiltration)
Igla-BTR.

With this build I will be using the MotostrelKi to hold forests and such with Spetz as my shock units whilst I use the 4VPZU as infiltration, recce and specific target elimination missions.

Im noticing that with my VDV (either in Mi-8 or Mi-24) that I am using them to rapidly respond to threats or to infiltrate them into forests that lie adjacent to enemy advances. Not really what theyre designed for. I just think that with the Mi-24 theyre a little too expensive for what Im using them for.

Edit: Hmm, reading up again on the 1st page, I think I may look at taking FJB-40 and VDV or 4VPZU and FJB-40 and not take Iglas at all. This way I have recce capable anti-air troops that will work alongside VDV and have VPZU for forests...

My god there are waaay to many options and combinations in this game. My head hurts.

Return to “Tips & Tutorials”