Bombs away + instant evac = no way to counter?

aop
Sergeant First-Class

Bombs away + instant evac = no way to counter?

Postby aop » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:32

Just had a 4v4 match where one guy used evac exactly at the moment when the planes let the ordnance fly and nothing could touch his planes. He could even rape my ground based AA with that tactic, the planes were gone by the time they had locked on and launched missiles. I tried countering with my fighters but by the time they reached the enemy they had already pressed evac and were dissappearing from the map.

I think it's really bad mechanic that the planes can just fly up and disappear, it sucks when the planes are gone by the time the bombs they released hit the ground. It makes them impossible to counter with anything.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bombs away + instant evac = no way to counter?

Postby Tigga » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:34

It's automatic on a lot of planes. In my experience it's not really a problem as my air defense is usually strong enough to kill the plane before it gets out anyway.

aop
Sergeant First-Class

Postby aop » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:39

Tigga wrote:It's automatic on a lot of planes. In my experience it's not really a problem as my air defense is usually strong enough to kill the plane before it gets out anyway.

Well, his F-104s were faster than my Tunguskas and Su-27 it seems. I could launch couple a missiles after them but they did little good as the planes just disappeared in thin air.

Jamaize
First Sergeant

Postby Jamaize » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:49

While I'm normally the one doing the bombing and lolling, I agree that it's really silly to not have to worry about ingress/egress and behind line AA exposure. Using more than 1 plane will almost always break through the basic sprinkle of ground based aa without a scratch and at worst a few hp and a longer repair time back at base.

Advantage of helos is meant to be that despite their slow speed they're exposed to less AA as they are sitting behind your own lines when firing long range. But planes apparently aren't phased by a few missiles flying towards them. They don't choose between flying along the frontline to expose yourself to a longer part of the line or flying straight at the enemy and waving out of the window to the high tech AA missiles. Just a simple run, dump, up up and away!

Going to suggest something (so appologies for that). I'd like to see a higher altitude airspace that perhaps added a few more seconds to evac but only allowing certain incoming fire, giving interceptors a real chance to do something to those bombers. This, as I said, is coming from the perspective of someone who has only really been the bomber not the interceptor. Stop giving me my planes back after they've struck crazy targets!

DeuZerre
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:51

Get better recon to spot them faster

If you're playing soviets get some BUKs for longer range

Get closer otherwise

Use AA infantry very close to the frontlines.

Counter with AA planes when you spot enemy planes.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Soundwolf776 » Thu 25 Apr 2013 17:59

Slower evac? I think somebody already explained that evacing planes are more vulnerable due to lower speed at climb - it just seems to be too slight to be noticed.
Higher probability of critical hits on evac (engines pointed straigth to incoming projectiles, whole construction is extremely stressed by gravity)?

Basically, evac directly over the enemy AA shouldn't be an option - player should guide his planes in, and try to guide them out to evac from friendly airspace.

Jamaize
First Sergeant

Postby Jamaize » Thu 25 Apr 2013 18:02

I wish there were more vulnerability in evac, I personally have not come across it. Even slow harriers dance around trailing missiles as they poof off into the sky without a scratch. Again, hopefully once everyone has a BUK alternative this won't even be a thing and you will really feel the affect of neglegence with your planes.

Guyver
Sergeant

Postby Guyver » Thu 25 Apr 2013 18:04

Jamaize wrote:I wish there were more vulnerability in evac, I personally have not come across it. Even slow harriers dance around trailing missiles as they poof off into the sky without a scratch. Again, hopefully once everyone has a BUK alternative this won't even be a thing and you will really feel the affect of neglegence with your planes.

my plane got shotted down in evac: evaded 2 missiles but eventually got killed by 2 more.
you need luck vs accuracy on the AA. :lol:

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Thu 25 Apr 2013 18:05

you're not using enough AA then. Planes are easy enough to take down if you have enough SAMs. A single plane lost is usually worth more points than whatever damage it managed to do. MY RBS-70s manages to get kills just fine.
Viker for ingen!

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Postby Dimonay » Thu 25 Apr 2013 18:28

Soundwolf776 wrote:Basically, evac directly over the enemy AA shouldn't be an option - player should guide his planes in, and try to guide them out to evac from friendly airspace.

Honestly planes are very hard to control beyond the first maybe the second turn. If that would be changed then yes I agree with you

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”