Soviets Over-powered

Whistler118
Sergeant Major

Soviets Over-powered

Postby Whistler118 » Sat 27 Apr 2013 21:51

I have just come out of a 3 v 3 game where we were various NATO countries and the enemy all went for the Soviet deck. Even though we held a significant reinforcement point advantage and a strategical advantage (pushing back the enemy steadily through the 40min game), we still could not find victory. Soviet infantry seems to beat even NATO SF on a level playing field whilst nothing, even an ambush by infantry, an attack via 2 mediocre French tanks and 3 gun runs from French planes all failed to even dent those T-80 monsters. Furthermore, nothing NATO has can compare to the incredible ability of the Buk which seems to shoot down every plane or heli that enters the map. Prehaps this will change with unlocking decks so you can have something to counter this but as it stands it is heavily weighted towards soviet victory.

I would not consider myself a poor player, clocking many hours on WALB and countless on WEE, however, a balancing issue is very clear and needs to be sorted!

magogian
Staff Sergeant

Re: Soviets Over-powered

Postby magogian » Sat 27 Apr 2013 21:52

Whistler118 wrote:I have just come out of a 3 v 3 game where we were various NATO countries and the enemy all went for the Soviet deck. Even though we held a significant reinforcement point advantage and a strategical advantage (pushing back the enemy steadily through the 40min game), we still could not find victory. Soviet infantry seems to beat even NATO SF on a level playing field whilst nothing, even an ambush by infantry, an attack via 2 mediocre French tanks and 3 gun runs from French planes all failed to even dent those T-80 monsters. Furthermore, nothing NATO has can compare to the incredible ability of the Buk which seems to shoot down every plane or heli that enters the map. Prehaps this will change with unlocking decks so you can have something to counter this but as it stands it is heavily weighted towards soviet victory.

I would not consider myself a poor player, clocking many hours on WALB and countless on WEE, however, a balancing issue is very clear and needs to be sorted!

T80s are monsters. But all they take is a bit of strategy to kill. Keep at it.

Whistler118
Sergeant Major

Postby Whistler118 » Sat 27 Apr 2013 21:59

magogian wrote:
Whistler118 wrote:I have just come out of a 3 v 3 game where we were various NATO countries and the enemy all went for the Soviet deck. Even though we held a significant reinforcement point advantage and a strategical advantage (pushing back the enemy steadily through the 40min game), we still could not find victory. Soviet infantry seems to beat even NATO SF on a level playing field whilst nothing, even an ambush by infantry, an attack via 2 mediocre French tanks and 3 gun runs from French planes all failed to even dent those T-80 monsters. Furthermore, nothing NATO has can compare to the incredible ability of the Buk which seems to shoot down every plane or heli that enters the map. Prehaps this will change with unlocking decks so you can have something to counter this but as it stands it is heavily weighted towards soviet victory.

T80s are monsters. But all they take is a bit of strategy to kill. Keep at it.

I agree that they are monsters in real life, but when you have three air to ground fighters, firing 30m cannon and rockets as well as two tanks firing 105mm at it that even that is ridiculous!

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:01

It's more like playing as a NATO level 8 player vs a Russian lvl 40 player who has unlocked more powerful units. Nothing more. Would like to see some better NATO decks to counter the Soviets who seem to be able to crush any opposition at this point. I've played the Soviet deck a few times and it's just overwhelming in MP but I expect some deck adjustments will eventually balance things out.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Selkares
Brigadier

Postby Selkares » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:04

Just had a great game with my mates and downed 4 T64s and 3T80Us with Leo1 tanks (think I had like 10-12 of them).
I popped smoke on them and went right to the point-blank range, they were all one-shot, that works pretty well ;)

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:09

t80s are not invincible, you just have to force them to engage you in conditions that does not favour them.

Rule number 1: get them into close quarters. you're not gonna beat it at long range, It simply will not happen, funnel them into close quarters using terrain where your masses of cheaper tanks and similar stuff can reliably do damage.

Rule nimber 2: Stun them, they are few, if you stun them it will drastically reduce the soiviet effectiveness compared to your own effectiveness if one of your tanks got stunned. If you can do this with mortars, airstrikes or artillery right before you engage them it will drastically tip the scales in you favour.

Rule number 3: There isn't that many of them, every one of them you destroy is a victory that drastically reduces the soviets capabilities. You might pay a costly price but to quote braveheart: We have reserves, they do not.
Viker for ingen!

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby ikalugin » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:11

When i play for US vs USSR i feel like:
Spoiler : :
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:18

West German KPZ70's do great versus their side armor.

NATO Potato
Captain

Postby NATO Potato » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:26

as others have said in this thread, you have to get near point blank range. and flank them. I use mortars to stun them before I engage.

chestus
Sergeant First-Class

Postby chestus » Sat 27 Apr 2013 22:29

the whole game is made for pact units, pact is far to powerfull in comperison to nato.
and then there are no tanks that can go head on with the T80.
i know you guys are french but this beta is made by Poetin, get real and give us some units that matter.
in the case of the aaa of pact, why do they have the BUK and all we get are HAWKS WE WANT PATRIOT SYSTEMS.
as i am a former dutch airman and when ever the ussr would deploy the SA-10 or BUK we would deploy the Patriots.
this is insane.
they have t80 t72 t64 and all we get are some old centurions 2 challangers and a m48 were the frack are the M1A's
Videre Vincere Est

ALTHOUGH I FLY THROUGH THE VALLEY OF DEATH I HAVE NO FEAR AS I AM AT 5000 FEET AND CLIMBING

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”