Czechoslovakia voices not realistic - feels wrong

zervostyrd
Lieutenant

Re: Czechoslovakia voices not realistic - feels wrong

Postby zervostyrd » Mon 29 Apr 2013 21:30

So basically it would be like I talk to a Scanian -which has a different vocabulary compared to mine- about really anything... He answers in Scanian and we both understands eachother. And everything is fine...

If so then It should be considered an accent.. It's not like that would warrant a inclusion. Practically any language have different accents with different vocabularies and sometimes slightly different grammar. While we understands eachother most of the time we're not speaking in the same tongue. It'd been worse if it were two completley different languages, say Swedish and Finnish which is as far off as you could come language like despite bordering to eachother.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 29 Apr 2013 21:38

Bokmal and Nynorsk comes to mind.
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

zervostyrd
Lieutenant

Postby zervostyrd » Mon 29 Apr 2013 21:45

trotskygrad wrote:Bokmål and Nynorsk comes to mind.

NO need to fear, Nordic Keyboard here!

Anyway a Good example :)

I can't imagine that Eugen would care to make voices for both. And I don't think I'll ever would've heard the difference anyway. :)

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Mon 29 Apr 2013 21:52

trotskygrad wrote:Bokmal and Nynorsk comes to mind.

thats two different WRITTEN languages though that cropped up right after we decided we didn't want to write in danish anymore.

They are both based on different norwegian dialects. Nynorsk is for a combination of a multitude west coast dialects while bokmål is a combination danish written language and east coast norwegian.
Viker for ingen!

Para911
Corporal

Postby Para911 » Mon 29 Apr 2013 22:33

So, looks like everyone here can now wish for a new language/accent...

In that case:
Plattdeutsch. It was very popular in that time in the rural areas of germany. Almost every smaller town/village had it's own version of Plattdeutsch.
I also demand swabian, bavarian and berlinerisch.
Everything in addition to Hochdeutsch, obviously.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 29 Apr 2013 22:37

African American Vernacular English for America!!!
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Hyena Grin
Corporal

Postby Hyena Grin » Mon 29 Apr 2013 22:45

Every nation should just speak Latin in plainly British accents with poor enunciation. West German? Spartacus. Romanian? Spartacus. Canadian? Spartacus. USMC? Spartacus (hooah)

There, now nobody is happy.

Except me. I am happy.

omega21
Sergeant Major

Postby omega21 » Mon 29 Apr 2013 23:01

What about British immigrants? Surely they might speak their native language at times! Depending on the commander's race which you should be able to choose in the settings!
Image Image

Knautscher
First Sergeant

Postby Knautscher » Mon 29 Apr 2013 23:40

Para911 wrote:So, looks like everyone here can now wish for a new language/accent...

In that case:
Plattdeutsch. It was very popular in that time in the rural areas of germany. Almost every smaller town/village had it's own version of Plattdeutsch.
I also demand swabian, bavarian and berlinerisch.
Everything in addition to Hochdeutsch, obviously.

You are mistaken and not helpful. This isn't about wishing for whatever you want, nor is it about accents and dialects. The topic is about the accurate portrayal of language in WAB. There are errors in some lines in several languages and it is worthy to discuss why decisions were made not to consider multilingualism in the Czechoslovakian or Canadian armies, or why the East German army in parts uses outright wrong language.

We have already assessed, that there are flaws, that these flaws are most likely there, because they only bother a minority of people and that Eugen Systems themselves will most likely not fix the issue, as it is not even regarded an issue and would cost money. Completely understandable.
I would like to explore the possibilities to fix these flaws, nonetheless. That does not mean that regional accents or dialects should be included. It just means that some armies/nations frequently use more than one language to communicate, or use it in a particular way and this should be accounted for, to provide a more immersive and realistic experience.

@Eugen Systems: I know it is unlikely, but it would be magnifique if armies could use more than one soundpack (soundpack assigned to each unit, like the names of the squadleaders) and if users could provide new sounds to you, provided they follow the guidelines and maintain a certain quality. As an alternative the possibility to mod the sound packs would be great as well. At best this is a thing for the far future, I know, but given your history with good, free DLC I think it would be possible to integrate a few sounds.

Now, I know that many of you do not care about this and that is perfectly alright. I also know that it is probably fun for you to poke at someone who obviously has an issue that you do not regard as such. However, please stop trying to derail this topic with useless, inflammatory remarks on why you don't care and rather use your time and brains to post on other topics in other threads to advance the issues that actually do matter to you.

Regarding the rest of your post, Para911:
Niederdeutsch has not been particularly popular since the 1960s, due to its negative associations with rural descent and an overall bad attitude and lack of capability in regards of education. Many parents outright forbid their children to learn the language and did not teach them, as they feared that teachers in school would grade them based on their associations with the language.
This can be seen in the rapidly declining amount of active Niederdeutschspeakers since the 1960s.
Apart from that Niederdeutsch is regarded an actual different language, the rest of what you mentioned are dialects and accents. However modern Niederdeutsch is heavily influenced by Hochdeutsch, which led to large parts of its original vocabulary being forgotten and/or replaced. Personally I love Niederdeutsch it's a very warm and friendly language, but it has absolutely nothing to do with WAB.
>Your favourite unit was not included?<
..............................Keep calm and order!...............................

Aubustou
Lieutenant

Postby Aubustou » Tue 30 Apr 2013 00:36

What about the Québécois? Why they don't speak French? Afterall there is a clearly québécois unit in the Canadian deck (génie de combat).
Image Gloire à la Nation!

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”