Czechoslovakia voices not realistic - feels wrong

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Re: Czechoslovakia voices not realistic - feels wrong

Postby Keinutnai » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:00

zervostyrd wrote:
trotskygrad wrote:Bokmål and Nynorsk comes to mind.

NO need to fear, Nordic Keyboard here!

Anyway a Good example :)

I can't imagine that Eugen would care to make voices for both. And I don't think I'll ever would've heard the difference anyway. :)

Actually you would hear the differences (unless you don't even notice a difference between Polish and Czech voices in ALB. I know I do.)

Aubustou wrote:What about the Québécois? Why they don't speak French? Afterall there is a clearly québécois unit in the Canadian deck (génie de combat).

Because members of the Canadian High Command communicate in English. (I am 99% sure about it),
Although I personally wouldn't mind if some Canadian units speak French.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

Para911
Corporal

Postby Para911 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:52

Knautscher wrote:
Para911 wrote:Regarding the rest of your post, Para911:
Niederdeutsch has not been particularly popular since the 1960s, due to its negative associations with rural descent and an overall bad attitude and lack of capability in regards of education. Many parents outright forbid their children to learn the language and did not teach them, as they feared that teachers in school would grade them based on their associations with the language.
This can be seen in the rapidly declining amount of active Niederdeutschspeakers since the 1960s.
Apart from that Niederdeutsch is regarded an actual different language, the rest of what you mentioned are dialects and accents. However modern Niederdeutsch is heavily influenced by Hochdeutsch, which led to large parts of its original vocabulary being forgotten and/or replaced. Personally I love Niederdeutsch it's a very warm and friendly language, but it has absolutely nothing to do with WAB.

I know that, but considering that my grandfather, who was enlisted somewhen between 1958 and 1970 in the west german army, actually told me that they spoke Plattdeutsch with each other(even while doing exercises), puts me in the position to say that I also can demand a completely useless thing to be added to this great game.

By the way:
The kids in the 60s (which means that they were born after '58) where taught to not speak Plattdeutsch. The kids which were born in the 40s and early 50s (which would be old enough for the army in the late 50s, early 60s) still learned it and spoke it fluently. Only kids which were born in the late 50s didn't learn to speak it.

Concerning your 2nd paragraph:
I fully agree. Even the last sentence.

Knautscher
First Sergeant

Postby Knautscher » Tue 30 Apr 2013 12:34

Para911 wrote:
Knautscher wrote:
Para911 wrote:Regarding the rest of your post, Para911:
Niederdeutsch has not been particularly popular since the 1960s, due to its negative associations with rural descent and an overall bad attitude and lack of capability in regards of education. Many parents outright forbid their children to learn the language and did not teach them, as they feared that teachers in school would grade them based on their associations with the language.
This can be seen in the rapidly declining amount of active Niederdeutschspeakers since the 1960s.
Apart from that Niederdeutsch is regarded an actual different language, the rest of what you mentioned are dialects and accents. However modern Niederdeutsch is heavily influenced by Hochdeutsch, which led to large parts of its original vocabulary being forgotten and/or replaced. Personally I love Niederdeutsch it's a very warm and friendly language, but it has absolutely nothing to do with WAB.

I know that, but considering that my grandfather, who was enlisted somewhen between 1958 and 1970 in the west german army, actually told me that they spoke Plattdeutsch with each other(even while doing exercises), puts me in the position to say that I also can demand a completely useless thing to be added to this great game.

By the way:
The kids in the 60s (which means that they were born after '58) where taught to not speak Plattdeutsch. The kids which were born in the 40s and early 50s (which would be old enough for the army in the late 50s, early 60s) still learned it and spoke it fluently. Only kids which were born in the late 50s didn't learn to speak it.

Concerning your 2nd paragraph:
I fully agree. Even the last sentence.

I'm sure they spoke Platt within their units (it was probably more efficient and faster anyway), but I doubt they used it on comms. You are right though, I did not take into account the people serving in the mid 70's, as I usually focus on the 80's, so there could have been Niederdeutsch around. The situation however differs from family to family.

Back to the Bundeswehr: Since it is highly unlikely that they use this "unofficial" language on comms during wartime though, it does not matter for the game. The situation with the other examples (Canada, Czechoslovakia) is different, as these languages are regularly and officially used there. The "inner German language border" remains as well: The DDR needs a different sound pack, or at least some "western" sounds replaced.
>Your favourite unit was not included?<
..............................Keep calm and order!...............................

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Postby Keinutnai » Tue 30 Apr 2013 12:52

It is true that the accent of east germans differet a lot from west germans. The difference was so big that anyone could tell an east german from west german as far as i know. Not 100% sure though.

The accent in north and south korea is very different too, just listen to north and south korean news reports.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Prettyhill » Tue 30 Apr 2013 13:04

You remind me about that guy who, for unknown reasons, have a personal grudge against the Strv103.
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

VonKarlos
Sergeant First-Class

Postby VonKarlos » Tue 30 Apr 2013 13:34

This faintly ludicrous thread suggests a re-write of a few lines from The Fall's song "The Classical":

"You won't find anything more ridiculous than this new Wargame: Airland Battle
Made with the highest French attention to the wrong detail"

Seriously, it's no biggie. Also as said already, as someone who's recorded VO artists professionally, it's not just something that anyone can do - you need experienced VO actors for the lines and a proper studio and engineer to record them, then an audio post production engineer to edit the files and bring them to finished standard - it's time consuming and costs a lot of money per hour. There's a limited budget for this as in every other aspect of any film, advertisement, TV or game production.

Para911
Corporal

Postby Para911 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 13:45

Knautscher wrote:Back to the Bundeswehr: Since it is highly unlikely that they use this "unofficial" language on comms during wartime though, it does not matter for the game. The situation with the other examples (Canada, Czechoslovakia) is different, as these languages are regularly and officially used there. The "inner German language border" remains as well: The DDR needs a different sound pack, or at least some "western" sounds replaced.

+1
Where is the like button?

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Tue 30 Apr 2013 13:58

Para911 wrote:
Knautscher wrote:Back to the Bundeswehr: Since it is highly unlikely that they use this "unofficial" language on comms during wartime though, it does not matter for the game. The situation with the other examples (Canada, Czechoslovakia) is different, as these languages are regularly and officially used there. The "inner German language border" remains as well: The DDR needs a different sound pack, or at least some "western" sounds replaced.

+1

In fact, we have some people in our company which are from the former East-Germany, they can hardly understand some of our "origial" Bavarians with their dialect. They both learned the same language with the same grammar and vocabulary in school.

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Tue 30 Apr 2013 23:33

enohka wrote:
Para911 wrote:

+1

In fact, we have some people in our company which are from the former East-Germany, they can hardly understand some of our "origial" Bavarians with their dialect. They both learned the same language with the same grammar and vocabulary in school.

Well, same applies to Austria, Switzerland, Hamburg and so on. There are many, many German dialects but everyone knows High German and speaks it if necessary to communicate. By the way, if you think Bavarian is hard to understand try Vorarlberg :lol:

ericdude88
Captain

Postby ericdude88 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 23:42

Oh no not this again..

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”