"Hardcore Mode" (option for less command points /Income)

ch3cooh
Colonel

"Hardcore Mode" (option for less command points /Income)

Postby ch3cooh » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:22

I understand that ALB needed to be more accessable.
The massive amount of command points helps with that.

But you do not have to be very careful what you spend your money for anymore and it takes away much of the strategy.
You also lose touch with your units since they cost you less and you are more busy buying new ones now.
Holding important sectors has almost no value if everybody gets to their unit-limit anyway.

Wargame has always been THE game for hardcore RTS-Fans, so how about an
optional hardcore mode with less command points for each map to keep things interesting ?
Since you can find "hardcore modes" in any multiplayer shooter, why not in a world-class RTS?

Edit:
I know many people like that "more action" comes with the high income rate, but I also know that many don't and those could be helped with a single option.

Edit:
Instead of a "hardcore mode" of course there could just be an option for "Income: normal/low".
Last edited by ch3cooh on Tue 30 Apr 2013 11:47, edited 5 times in total.

Panzerspahwagen85
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: "Hardcore Mode" (option for less command points)

Postby Panzerspahwagen85 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:30

I like the high income, I'd rather have your suggestion happen than lowering the income for all.

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:34

Even with all those points, you will run out of units to buy eventually. Careful how you use your units,
Illegitimi non carborundum.

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:44

DelroyMonjo wrote:Even with all those points, you will run out of units to buy eventually. Careful how you use your units,

That happens a lot now in ALB.
You never run out of money, just out of units.
Never have to fear that you won't have enough money for a quick reaction.

Tactic stays the same (of course), but it is less strategic.

rednotdead
Corporal

Postby rednotdead » Tue 30 Apr 2013 01:50

ch3cooh wrote:
DelroyMonjo wrote:Even with all those points, you will run out of units to buy eventually. Careful how you use your units,

That happens a lot now in ALB.
You never run out of money, just out of units.
Never have to fear that you won't have enough money for a quick reaction.

Tactic stays the same (of course), but it is less strategic.

This is true: if I screwed up an attack in EE and lost my investment, I could only use units already on the field to hold off the counterattack, and reinforcements would be sparing. Maybe a couple tanks, or a helicopter. I needed to plan for contingencies.

In ALB, a large enemy tank group moving down towards my line? No problem, I'll just spam the counter with the credits that have piled up since I last ordered anything. I bunch of infantry pop up in a forest that I had missed? Spam the counter.

There are people who say that ALB isn't any more "arcadey" than EE, but it really is.

ledarsi
Master Sergeant

Postby ledarsi » Tue 30 Apr 2013 02:49

I really think customization of a single game's parameters is one of the key features Wargame has really missed out on. It should be possible to customize the rules of a game, such as changing the starting point numbers to arbitrary values, changing the income rate, imposing deck rules on all players in a game, etc. etc. Opening up mapmaking to the community would also be fantastic, and add an unlimited amount of replayability to a game that already has very high replayability.

"Hardcore mode" as you describe just means playing with less point income. Which should definitely be an available option, but not as a "hardcore mode" toggle, but rather as being able to specify income rate. The best way to do this is as a time interval. Changing the income time interval means you get the same number of points, separated by a differing number of seconds.

The game itself is this fantastic platform that is very constrained into quite specific play parameters, which in my opinion is unfortunate.

Panzerspahwagen85
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Panzerspahwagen85 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 02:59

rednotdead wrote:There are people who say that ALB isn't any more "arcadey" than EE, but it really is.

People are on both sides of the fence in regards to that, you're clearly one of those people who say it's 'arcadey'.. You don't argue any better than the other guys to make your point.

dimitri18
Master Sergeant

Postby dimitri18 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 05:30

They probably won't do a Hardcore/Realism/Classic EE mode as myself and many others suggested, but keep things the way they are in terms of gameplay. Instead of changing the entire game for everyone why not allow advanced settings? I hate the new artillery system (yes I hate it nothing will change my opinion on it) and prefer the old one.

Honestly, the old game was much more enjoyable to me. This one FEELS much more cartoonish than the old one. All I want is the old one's gameplay back with some new units and planes, but that will never happen.

primarch359
Corporal

Postby primarch359 » Tue 30 Apr 2013 05:44

Instead of calling it HARDCORE MODE just add an option where you can set the on map cmd points to low/med/high.

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Tue 30 Apr 2013 06:31

primarch359 wrote:Instead of calling it HARDCORE MODE just add an option where you can set the on map cmd points to low/med/high.

+1

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”