NATO airspam

ericdude88
Captain

NATO airspam

Postby ericdude88 » Wed 1 May 2013 22:16

This tactic seems surprisingly efficient ATM...SEAD aircraft effectively limit my abilities to use powerful SAMS like the BUK-M1, because they constantly get blown up before even exiting base. Yes I know I can turn the radar off but then it becomes useless...And there's no sure way of knowing when to turn it back on. Anyway, other SAMS like Tunguska 2K22M and Strela 10, whilst not detectable (just turn off Tunguska's cannons) are wayy too weak. The A-10 seems to be ridiculously strong and the HEAT cluster munitions from some NATO aircraft can blow up 3 T-80U's at once..

I had one game where some guy basically just camped, and would send 3 HEAT cluster bomb planes (I forgot their names) at the same time over and over...They drop their cluster munitions and immediately EVAC before my SAMS can hurt them, and blew up all 4 of my available deployable T-80U in repeated raids. The MiG-31M seems to miss alot so I stopped using it, so effectively at the moment I feel that NATO air spam is quite OP and not really stoppable, unless you're going for a cheap T-55 spam (but I don't want to go back to W:EE if you catch my drift).

Soviet aircraft on stats seem just as capable, so I'll try it later, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't see any OP ass HEAT cluster munition capable plane on the WARPAC side, which is the main problem I have with NATO. At the moment, a full Soviet armour themed deck is impractical and impossible to win with due to NATO jet spam.

I'm gonna get flamed for this thread, but most players know what I'm talking about..In every game NATO has massive air spam..I've resorted to deploying 2 2K22M Tunguskas and 4 Strela vehicles every game now, and rushing with T-55s and BMP-1D +BTR Motostrelkis as this seems much more effective, as cluster bombing/A-10 strafings aren't as powerful against this kind of army. Against a premium Soviet force of T-80U and BMP-3s though, you might as well surrender right when you see the NATO airspam(if you're Soviet)

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: NATO airspam

Postby orcbuster » Wed 1 May 2013 22:19

ericdude88 wrote:This tactic seems surprisingly efficient ATM...SEAD aircraft effectively limit my abilities to use powerful SAMS like the BUK-M1, because they constantly get blown up before even exiting base. Yes I know I can turn the radar off but then it becomes useless...And there's no sure way of knowing when to turn it back on. Anyway, other SAMS like Tunguska 2K22M and Strela 10, whilst not detectable (just turn off Tunguska's cannons) are wayy too weak. The A-10 seems to be ridiculously strong and the HEAT cluster munitions from some NATO aircraft can blow up 3 T-80U's at once..

I had one game where some guy basically just camped, and would send 3 HEAT cluster bomb planes (I forgot their names) at the same time over and over...They drop their cluster munitions and immediately EVAC before my SAMS can hurt them, and blew up all 4 of my available deployable T-80U in repeated raids. The MiG-31M seems to miss alot so I stopped using it, so effectively at the moment I feel that NATO air spam is quite OP and not really stoppable, unless you're going for a cheap T-55 spam (but I don't want to go back to W:EE if you catch my drift).

Soviet aircraft on stats seem just as capable, so I'll try it later, but AFAIK (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't see any OP ass HEAT cluster munition capable plane on the WARPAC side, which is the main problem I have with NATO. At the moment, a full Soviet armour themed deck is impractical and impossible to win with due to NATO jet spam.

I'm gonna get flamed for this thread, but most players know what I'm talking about..In every game NATO has massive air spam..I've resorted to deploying 2 2K22M Tunguskas and 4 Strela vehicles every game now, and rushing with T-55s and BMP-1D +BTR Motostrelkis as this seems much more effective, as cluster bombing/A-10 strafings aren't as powerful against this kind of army. Against a premium Soviet force of T-80U and BMP-3s though, you might as well surrender right when you see the NATO airspam(if you're Soviet)

Answer is simple, MANPADS and lots of them to cover your heavier stuff
Viker for ingen!

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Wed 1 May 2013 22:21

ericdude88 wrote: I don't see any OP ass HEAT cluster munition capable plane on the WARPAC side, which is the main problem I have with NATO.

use iglas, 5 HE and easy to hide

oh and say hello to MiG-21SM for me... pact has a load of cluster bomb planes as well, some are arguably easier to spam.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Fri 3 May 2013 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

ericdude88
Captain

Postby ericdude88 » Wed 1 May 2013 22:22

orcbuster wrote:Answer is simple, MANPADS and lots of them to cover your heavier stuff

Tried MANPADS, but their range is quite short at only 2450 whilst NATO cluster munition aircraft don't even have to fly directly over my forces to DROP BOMBS, they have 3500 range (WTF?). Also the A-10 doesn't die to anything but BUKs, which ALWAYS die to SEAD.

I think the cluster munition HEAT aircraft should have HP lowered, lower speed and most of all they shouldn't be able to DROP BOMBS at a range that's longer than the range my SAMs need to reach them..that makes no sense in both the gameplay sense and realism sense.

ericdude88
Captain

Postby ericdude88 » Wed 1 May 2013 22:24

trotskygrad wrote:
ericdude88 wrote: I don't see any OP ass HEAT cluster munition capable plane on the WARPAC side, which is the main problem I have with NATO.

use iglas, 5 HE and easy to hide

oh and say hello to MiG-21SM for me... pact has a load of cluster bomb planes as well, some are arguably easier to spam.

I know PACT can drop cluster bombs...but they're not HEAT, which means they have 0 AP. NATO has several 5 AP cluster munition aircraft...

The HEAT cluster bombs are my problem ATM..not the regular HE ones.

I mean I'm fine with the fact that these cluster bomb droppings rape my T-80U, because that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that the "bombers" seem to be "dropping" bombs that have longer range than my AA missiles, which makes no sense. Logically the aircraft has to get quite close to the ground target to drop cluster bombs...Even if they're guided bombs, they shouldn't have the range greater than AA SAMs. They're bombs, not missiles for crying out loud.

DarrickS
J'aime quand on me fait du mal

Postby DarrickS » Wed 1 May 2013 22:27

Tunguska V2 use a Saclos as AA missile. It has a range of 3500m.
You just have to unactive the 2A38m 30mm guns and no sead will hurt it.
Past, past is far.

Leon026
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Leon026 » Wed 1 May 2013 22:29

I find both NATO and PACT air to be very well balanced (as how they were in real-life).

The key to PACT against NATO is to either keep your MiG-31 patrolling at the rear (its superb long range missiles is great to snipe key planes, and EVAC the moment you see an F-14 unless you get the jump on it).

PACT also has the Su-24 Fencer for SEAD work, and unlike NATO, PACT has a huge superiority in long range air defense, while NATO is fairly limited to the Charapals and Hawk missiles.

Rely less on RADAR-based missiles and perhaps bring in some Infrared-seeking missiles (PACT has a couple nice ones), and use them to protect your long range RADAR SAMs.

The key though from my experience so far is smart use of the MiG-31 to kill off enemy air superiority aircraft so that you can then kill just about any NATO air with impunity.

This tactic also works with NATO more or less.

Spielführer
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Spielführer » Wed 1 May 2013 22:32

Manpands all over the map, Tunguska and Strela, if SEAD Plane passed by or do not flies directly on you (tail to you) activate Buk´s radar and profit

Else, own interceptor can also deny the use of it. Only the Tomcat is making me some trouble

Edit:

MiG-31`? Thanks above! I will try it against the Tomcat
Soldier of passion. Diplom rerum militarium

ericdude88
Captain

Postby ericdude88 » Wed 1 May 2013 22:34

Leon026 wrote:I find both NATO and PACT air to be very well balanced (as how they were in real-life).

The key to PACT against NATO is to either keep your MiG-31 patrolling at the rear (its superb long range missiles is great to snipe key planes, and EVAC the moment you see an F-14 unless you get the jump on it).

PACT also has the Su-24 Fencer for SEAD work, and unlike NATO, PACT has a huge superiority in long range air defense, while NATO is fairly limited to the Charapals and Hawk missiles.

Rely less on RADAR-based missiles and perhaps bring in some Infrared-seeking missiles (PACT has a couple nice ones), and use them to protect your long range RADAR SAMs.

The key though from my experience so far is smart use of the MiG-31 to kill off enemy air superiority aircraft so that you can then kill just about any NATO air with impunity.

This tactic also works with NATO more or less.

I always use MiG-31M. It just seems to miss alot, or lose to F-14s. I'll have to give them another go I suppose.

As a side note, cheap spam works much better than using premium forces (at least for the Soviets ATM) in this game. At least when it comes to ground forces... I think Devs still have some balancing to do. Sure the unit limits are lower but I can still get 36 T-55 and T-55As onto the field along with tons of Motostrelki (like 72 of them) in cheap different BTR variants. This army has worked alot better than my T-80U BMP-3 and Spetsnaz/Moskaya Prihota setup, seeing as how it could care less about air strikes. This is a bad sign IMO.

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Wed 1 May 2013 22:37

Quite honestly the air spam isn't much of a problem - I'm actually more concerned about SEAD becoming useless since people seem to be moving away from radar based AA. For Pact Tunguskas and Strelas are the mainstay, plus Mig-31Ms patrolling the skies. Nato has Rolands and Chaparrals and F-14s. It's much easier since there's no need to micromanage your AA. People can also bait your SEAD with cheap radar autocannon AA.

Pact has similarly cheap air choices as well, this "air spam" is possible for both sides.

Also I think the long range planes see and identify low flying stuff like helicopters way too easily. Detecting low flying targets from aircraft radars should be harder.
ImageImage

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”