Air superiority and airspace denial

dimstog
Corporal

Air superiority and airspace denial

Postby dimstog » Thu 2 May 2013 10:09

Generally speaking, I think the air element of the game is in a rather good place right now, not too overpowered but still with an wow! factor when used correctly.

However, I have one complaint (what did you expect?). I think airplanes should abort and automatically evacuate once hit by a missile. Flak AA is a bit different, I can understand a pilot flying through flak, but I can't imagine anyone carrying on when hit by a homing missile just because they lost too few hit points.

Many times I see my AA fire at a plane, hit it, then the plane proceeding to deliver its payload and right after, getting blown out of the sky by the second AA missile homing in. While I do appreciate the gallantry of the pilots involved, I believe that realistically, whenever a pilot gets hit, first order of business is to save the plane and himself and not just say "well, I still have half my hitpoints, I am a gonner anyway, let me take some of the SOBs with me". The plane and the trained pilot are much valuable than any potential target it has.

From a realistic point of view - which btw I believe applies pretty well to the actual gameplay - the purpose of anti aircraft is to deny the airspace, not destroy the actual plane. Or rather, destroying the plane is the means to an end, which is denying the airspace. Right now, having half-shot airplanes unrealistically (imho) continuing with their mission devalues the anti-aircraft somewhat.

cphoenix
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Air superiority and airspace denial

Postby cphoenix » Thu 2 May 2013 10:28

Um. Yes. Just freaking yes. It's absolutely silly to think that these pilots wouldn't abort after having a missile slam into them. Even two sometimes, I've seen. It'd make air a much more stable presence on the battlefield too, which would lend itself to much more awesome fun.

That and too many times have I had to sigh as my AA screen is ineffective against a pilot with a death wish that manages to kill himself (with his wingman and yet another bomber just behind) and my T-80's that were having a nice round of vodka in the forest. Better yet is when all that AA is for naught and they get away with it all.

I'm not even sure if the act of firing upon air with any sort of missile has an effect on their morale. It really should. Any pilot is going to be concerned when they hear the lock-on warning. Not freaked-out to the point of being ineffective, but definitely not "calm", unless they have nerves of freaking admantium.
AirLand Battle Strategy Guide

1. Have a CAP.
2. Always have a CAP.
3. If you don't have a CAP, get a CAP.

NeilF
Corporal

Postby NeilF » Thu 2 May 2013 10:48

Agreed! At the very least, have a tick/check box on the aircraft at the 'airport' to define this behaviour. eg: "Retreat on missile attack".

Or, make it a dropdown with a number of options ranging from suicide to the slightest anti-air, retreat.

KOMRADEFRUIT
First Sergeant

Postby KOMRADEFRUIT » Thu 2 May 2013 10:48

Its just gameplay, its also silly to see infantry squads being effective with 90% casualties and tanks being able to repair track damage in 60 seconds.

NeilF
Corporal

Postby NeilF » Thu 2 May 2013 11:00

KOMRADEFRUIT wrote:Its just gameplay, its also silly to see infantry squads being effective with 90% casualties and tanks being able to repair track damage in 60 seconds.

True... But then there's fun gameplay and frustrating gameplay.

Micro-management can be frustrating, and having to micromanage every plane to ensure it's not behaving stupidly (suicidedly) could be construed as that.

A single tickbox on a plane to give it the option to auto retreat if an anti air missile is fired at it would detriment gameplay how? I can see how it would benefit it.

The same question could apply to helicopters, but "retreat" isn't so obvious with those units. ie: They can't just fly off the map in such a black and white fashion.
Last edited by NeilF on Thu 2 May 2013 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

dimstog
Corporal

Postby dimstog » Thu 2 May 2013 11:03

KOMRADEFRUIT wrote:Its just gameplay, its also silly to see infantry squads being effective with 90% casualties and tanks being able to repair track damage in 60 seconds.

Yes, I agree.

However, 50+% casualty on infantry or atgm or manpad means they are totally disabled and just "be" there, even if they are not panicked, they won't do any damage. Same goes for tanks or vehicles more or less. With planes it's different, since all they need to do is unload their ordnance (never seen a plane miss although it might be just my flawed perception) and then die their valiant death.

I am not saying it's game breaking, and I am not raging about how OP planes are, it's just that I feel I need to bring a lot more AA than I should (I must admit I love to see those missiles fly and the flak sound...) to essentially "punish" the enemy airforce rather than deny it it's mission. As far as gameplay goes, it works, since we count points, ie, I lose 2 tanks, he loses one plane, we are even and maybe I am a bit ahead, I just think it would work the other way too (we both lose nothing so we are even again) and be more realistic on top of that.

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Thu 2 May 2013 12:07

cphoenix wrote:Um. Yes. Just freaking yes. It's absolutely silly to think that these pilots wouldn't abort after having a missile slam into them. Even two sometimes, I've seen. It'd make air a much more stable presence on the battlefield too, which would lend itself to much more awesome fun.

Try the A-10s. I've hit them with 4 IGLAs before, and they still kept on going, delivered the payload and evac'd without dying.

ageezus
Corporal

Postby ageezus » Thu 2 May 2013 12:26

DoktorvonWer wrote:
cphoenix wrote:Um. Yes. Just freaking yes. It's absolutely silly to think that these pilots wouldn't abort after having a missile slam into them. Even two sometimes, I've seen. It'd make air a much more stable presence on the battlefield too, which would lend itself to much more awesome fun.

Try the A-10s. I've hit them with 4 IGLAs before, and they still kept on going, delivered the payload and evac'd without dying.

wildweasel
Private First-Class

Postby wildweasel » Thu 2 May 2013 12:54

DoktorvonWer wrote:

A10 are very slow and have bad ecm. So they should be able to withstand punishment.

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Thu 2 May 2013 13:28

Yes yes we know the A-10s are meant to be strong - and I'm sure that the Pact's Frogfoot is too; I'm not saying the A-10 is OP. I'm generally saying that both of these are just a bit too hard to take down, when it can shrug off multiple hits from top-of-the-line MANPADs and even Tunguskas. And its ECM can't be all that awful; those 4 hits were from 10 shots attempted...