Please show the skill level again!!!

Floppar
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Please show the skill level again!!!

Postby Floppar » Thu 2 May 2013 23:45

Fri13 wrote:If you are so great player, then you should be able to guide them to play and support their game, you do know it is a teamplay and not" X amount of elitist soloist trying to win who is who"?

+1

ThatGuy
Corporal

Postby ThatGuy » Fri 3 May 2013 01:07

Levels should only be client side achievement trackers that serve to facilitate the acquisition of new units to make more decks with. The levels should not be the ultimate gauge of player skill as they've been used in two consecutive Eugen games. Ultimately, the displaying of player level in lobbies will only serve to erect artificial barriers within the community. I mean if people think that showing levels now (when everyone is between 1-10 for the most part) to determine how "good" certain players are then I see no reason to think that this community is mature enough to handle such a feature without abusing it.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 3 May 2013 01:27

Heavily against it myself, i dont care if my team mate hasnt played a game yet, so long as they are happy to talk to me which most do from what i have seen, just give them a quick "do this not this" and if they have questions help them out, i have had plenty of games with people who are new and had problems only once by a guy who just rushed his command jeep into the fight then camped the first spawn. Other then that, won near every single fight and in many cases with newbies in my team, this games alot more forgiving to the new people, especially if you help them.

Panzerspahwagen85
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Panzerspahwagen85 » Fri 3 May 2013 02:04

Leon026 wrote:Ugh please dont.

I was rolling around with intermediate skill level back in WG:EE, and I was being constantly kicked for either being "too high", or "too noob", it was really quite annoying because 1v1 "skill level" has absolutely nothing in common with 3v3/4v4 "skill level".

Case in point, I utterly suck at 1v1 because I'm not ADHD enough to micro everything with 403948 clicks per second, but I can quite effectively hold my own very well in 3v3 and 4v4 because I play tactically and methodically.

1# If no form of experience is shown either through level or elo in the lobbies, the only thing that's going to happen is that people will only play with people they know, thus they'll still kick people with unfamiliar nicknames.

#2 Actions per minute doesn't matter alot in Wargame, mine's a mediocre 16,48 and best I ever got was second in the rankings. Just look at how crazy the APM is on Starcraft2 players compared to what's in Wargame.

That being said teamgames are alot more fun in ALB and I wish the avatars were larger.

Decoy^
Sergeant

Postby Decoy^ » Fri 3 May 2013 02:57

Let me highlight the problem for you:
Yuibernd wrote:Please, please, please, please add the skill level to the game hosting screens again!
It's not a skill level. It doesn't belong in the game lobby. If you're worried about your teammates causing problems for you, the only good way to avoid that is playing with people you know anyway, no matter their level. The game already has a function for this. It's the friends list.

OmikronAnubis
Sergeant

Postby OmikronAnubis » Fri 3 May 2013 03:45

Once i've had a nice little game with a reallife friend of me, who just started with Wargame: European Escalation. That's why he was just Level 7 or 8 and the enemy at his flank was level 81. Fortunatly my mate had played a few of the campaigmissions, so he had an already acceptable deck, but the core of this story is:

We won the game, and my mate held his line against this "high-level-player". He had high looses but he also did a good job against the enemys units.
Righter after the game my mate was level 13.

The only thing you can say about high-level-player is, that they can field in theory every single unit and that they are more experienced in wargame: ee (or in wargame:ab). But if you've played several other strategy games before as a low-point player, while the "high-experienced wargame uperpro" havnt played something else... There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to win. And even completly noobs will learn fast.

I do not care about looses. Do you? Of course its frustating if you got a noob in your team from time to time, but you can tell them what to do. YOU had to learn the game also. :roll:
If there is a well-connection-noob and a unstabe-connection-pro i know which one i would take for my team. I prefer noobs who try at least to fight!

Why485
Sergeant

Postby Why485 » Fri 3 May 2013 04:06

No, please don't. I hated this aspect of Wargame and am glad to see that it's not in the beta. I hope it stays that way.

Panzerspahwagen85
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Panzerspahwagen85 » Fri 3 May 2013 04:28

OmikronAnubis wrote:Once i've had a nice little game with a reallife friend of me, who just started with Wargame: European Escalation. That's why he was just Level 7 or 8 and the enemy at his flank was level 81. Fortunatly my mate had played a few of the campaigmissions, so he had an already acceptable deck, but the core of this story is:

We won the game, and my mate held his line against this "high-level-player". He had high looses but he also did a good job against the enemys units.
Righter after the game my mate was level 13.

The only thing you can say about high-level-player is, that they can field in theory every single unit and that they are more experienced in wargame: ee (or in wargame:ab). But if you've played several other strategy games before as a low-point player, while the "high-experienced wargame uperpro" havnt played something else... There is no reason why you shouldnt be able to win. And even completly noobs will learn fast.

I do not care about looses. Do you? Of course its frustating if you got a noob in your team from time to time, but you can tell them what to do. YOU had to learn the game also. :roll:
If there is a well-connection-noob and a unstabe-connection-pro i know which one i would take for my team. I prefer noobs who try at least to fight!

Playing against new players, but who have some understanding of wargame and the multitude of options available to them can often prove to be the hardest and most fun games.

With 90% of the top 30 players in WEE you would expect A, B or C every single time you played them, but with some random RTS player just trying out the game you'd get a Z thrown at you from time to time and Zs do work when they're unexpected.

Jrdn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Jrdn » Fri 3 May 2013 05:02

Yermo wrote:Imagine that you start a 2v2 game with a complete stranger. The guy deploy nothing and when the game starts says "WHERE ARE MY UNITS ?"(sic) in global chat. Then he just moves his HQ to the frontline and lose is because, let's be realistic, a jeep doesn't stand a chance against 3 T-80A.

So what do you do ? You apologize to your opponents, leave the game and curse the noob, because you are not a baby-sitter, you know that you have already lost. So the game is ruined and because of what ? Because nobody knew that you teammate was a lvl 0 (more likely lvl -10 though).

I've always got time for a new player, I have no issue with sticking with them even if we get slaughtered because I and the other team will be teaching them directly / indirectly and more importantly they'll be learning how to play. If you "leave and curse" rather than try to talk to them and explain what they did wrong and how they could improve you're not helping anyone. Saying that "the game is ruined" because you took a loss is more indicative of personal attitude than anything. I've personally made good friends with several individuals by meeting a complete stranger who sucked at first because they were new but over time they've got better. Heck, if you think your job is always to baby-sit a team-mate then you're not adapting. At the very least, everyone's a pair of eyes and a meat-shield.

Of course that all goes out the window if they're not willing to learn and just want to mess about and generally be a pain, but that's not what you were talking about.

Khan
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Khan » Fri 3 May 2013 06:53

Dont let us speak about noobs! Let us peak about casual-players who plays one or two weeks and then never again.
I have a couple of guys in my friend list with level 10 and they never played again since release.
Such guys will or want never learning issues about wargame.
I am lvl 100 and its not: “oh, im elite im so good and beautiful”. No, its annoying that some low level-players join and tell you: “i know what im doing” and they doing bull*hit. And after two weeks they play never again.
Guys who are high level (50+) they played wargame for months and they’re playing seriously, thats important for me. And not to teach casuals.

One option were an option to hide/show the level. If the host want only a game where he can see the levels they can kick all who hide their levels. And those hosts they want a full random games with hidden levels they can host such games.

In wargame exist two important things: recon for information and teamplay for communication. A casual uses none of them. I make the expirence that only high level(50++) communicated and play seriously. Seriously means not that u havent fun or u have to win. Seriously means u know what to do, it means teamplay is the core of wargame thats fun for me.

I palyed men of war and when i joined a high level match i havent fun with mow-pros, they killed me instantly with a huge skill. Same in starcraft silver vs diamond is to heavy for an silver. Its not that the silver is a noob but he hasnt the expirence, the skill, the apm and the routine.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”