AA a little bit to strong?

Larkis
First Sergeant

Postby Larkis » Fri 3 May 2013 08:27

I got some problems when the enemy uses longrange Anti Air, mean radar-guided Sam with a range of 5km.

This Weaponplattforms have a very long range and can easliy kill fighters far away from the front cause the planes need a lot of place for a turnaround.

often i got attacked by the enemy. I startet my Planes to drop boms and mavericks on the enemy. Mostly the plan us maybe 1/4 of there payload for the first attack run. Than the plane need a lot of space for a turnaround, fly over a enemy sektor and will be shot down by this SAms, which still stay behind the front where i can not attack them.

The only thing to counter that are SEAD Planes? No. First is the problem that not every natino has Sead-Planes. Second, the Seadplanes dont workt corectly. In the Reality of Falcon 4.0 and Digital Combat Simulator, the SEAD-Plane can target the radar signature far far far away from the radar system. I easily can spot the radar system before it could spot me. I fire the Anti-Radar Rocket and than make a quick turnaround so the enemy dont have the chance to spot and fire on me.

But in W:ALB it dont work. Often my planes first found the Sam when the Sam sfound me too. Than the plane release the rockets but still fly in the same direction to the enemy sam while getting higher. So mostly the Sam got the chance to fire a rocket back before they die and get a revenge kill. :D often i loose my SEAD-Plane killed by the SAM whowas the target.

Much bigger is the problem when the enemy has more Long-Range SAMS. I know that somehwere are 2 Sams hiding in the Wood. I start 3 SEAD Planes rightclicking on the wood. Now every plane target the first Sam and then they would be shot down from the second Sam.

And its still easy to counter SEAD-Planes. Cause of there low range-Systems they only can spot the target when they are near them. So the enemy can see the SEAD Planes coming and deactivate all Radar systems. The SEAD Plane find no target fly over the enemy positions, the enemy reactivate radar and my Sead Planes still fall into mud.

From my position there is notging you can do to fight Long-Range Sams. Yoxu cant get trough the full enemy army to kill them, you cant SEAD them. You still can play without planes and i dont think that that is the matter.

I think about a workaround for it.

Planes got flares and chaff to avoid enemy missiles so the only hit with a chance of 50%. And when Planes avoiding missiles they cant follow there mission. Lets say he enem start a A10 with an attackrun of a group of my tanks. Behide the tanks i got my Long-Range Sam. The A10 comes in, my Sam fire. The A10 get out chaff and flares and brake off the attack.

i think this could be a got idea. Or maybe the other way we got more planes, so it dont hurt so much if we loose one. I mean what should i do when i only have 3 Suicide-Sead-Planes and the enemy has 8 Long-Range Sams?

shomu1
Major-General

Re: AA a little bit to strong?

Postby shomu1 » Fri 3 May 2013 09:05

Use the Raven. It can easily outrange Buks. It'll still get shredded by massed SAMs, of course, but it'll take a while because many will miss due to that glorious Exceptional ECM rating.

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OmikronAnubis
Sergeant

Postby OmikronAnubis » Fri 3 May 2013 09:08

The united states and france have airplanes with well anti-radar missiles. That's the reason fewer player uses buks and kubs, because they're getting killed way to easy with them. :roll:

I hope there will be a tutorial which tells each player what each weapontype does :roll:

Kreved
Warrant Officer

Postby Kreved » Fri 3 May 2013 09:19

No, in general.

Some Infrared systems are a bit too good, though, but it was told by devs that it's be fixed soon.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 3 May 2013 09:23

More like a tactical problem, try different tactics. Dont anyhow ask for nerf. Alls good as it is.

popkiev
Sergeant

Postby popkiev » Fri 3 May 2013 09:44

No, it's not. You can't expect to fly freely over weapon system designed to shoot down airplanes.

Yesterday I was shown how to neutralise AA placements. Boy, I wish I had a replay. I was playing 4v4 against guys who were clearly well-organized. Guys on my flank kept good recon with choppers, which i couldn't reach. Then targetterd my AAs with pinpoint artillery barrages. After killing off my 8 Chaparals and about 4 stinger squads they decided to move in and annihilated me with bombers. That's how you deal with AA, not just stupidly trying to carpet bomb everything.

shomu1
Major-General

Postby shomu1 » Fri 3 May 2013 09:51

Carpet bombing only works when you're 150% sure you've killed every single piece of anti-air within an 8 km radius of the strike zone. And you're hitting the area with artillery. And the trees are on fire. Otherwise, get in with small strikes, and grind them down. Time is an asset.

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant

Postby I WUB PUGS » Mon 6 May 2013 18:10

shomu1 wrote:Carpet bombing only works when you're 150% sure you've killed every single piece of anti-air within an 8 km radius of the strike zone. And you're hitting the area with artillery. And the trees are on fire. Otherwise, get in with small strikes, and grind them down. Time is an asset.

Mig-17 all day, everyday. 8-)

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Mon 6 May 2013 18:24

Kreved wrote:Some Infrared systems are a bit too good, though, but it was told by devs that it's be fixed soon.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

they better not touch my strela!!!
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

grimreffer2
Warrant Officer

Postby grimreffer2 » Mon 6 May 2013 18:44

I agree with the OP about some stuff. Like for example how they make it so you can barely use planes in a match. Long range SAMs need a nerf, not a major one but they need tobe less accurate, because it's almost impossible to kill them. I know for a fact that SEAD planes are just about useless, not because I've used them and had lots of problems, but because you can spot them so easily and turn off your radar missiles.

I don't agree that Flairs should Block eveything. Flairs are only for infillred missiles, because the flares let off heat, making the missiles chase after them instead of the Plane. Maybe some ECM Jammer Planes? But I highly doubt that the military had these at this time.

All and all, I do agree that the long range sams need a nerf because, they are close to impossible to get to unless you want to charge in you whole army and lose the game just to get them.
1st Lt. Jason Scott, 75th Ranger Regiment.

Spoiler : :
Omfg it's 43 pixels above their requirement! Omg! Image

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”