Make Arty More Powerful

Vasily Krysov
Colonel

Re: Make Arty More Powerful

Postby Vasily Krysov » Mon 6 May 2013 16:31

ThorFB wrote:Just happend
A unarmord soviert CV on open field. I had 3x M109 (German Version) and 2 LARS, after two volleies, that vehicle was stuned ...but no other damage
I think thats boring ....its better to throw some stones than shoting with something like that

Not killing a tank is one thing, but no damage on such vehicle is .....

Was the LARS firing at minimum range? if it wasn't shooting at minimum range or Rmin*1.5 you'll find that rocket arty has no real hitting power. The M109's aren't terribly accurate either, should have two batteries of 3. Or use the M110...

Gryphon
Master Sergeant

Postby Gryphon » Mon 6 May 2013 16:34

Keinutnai wrote:I dont have problems fighting aganst t80u, but arty should kill tanks.

Big fat NO. This is what destroyed EE in the first place. Besides, the game is abstracted reality because you don't need to wait 5 minutes for your artillery strike to arrive and you can fire your rounds at a much higher ROF than real life. Artillery is perfect in the abstraction of this game.

Fix the tactics instead. 4 T-80Us, or any other tanks are absolutely no problem if you know what you're doing. In fact, making artillery more powerful against tanks would also make tanks useless again as people would spam the stuff and bombard every single line to kingdom come. We would go back to the recon, artillery, recon grind heap of smelly dung.

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Mon 6 May 2013 16:44

Heavy arty is actually usable against tanks with the new increased accuracy. If you use generous amounts of 203mm (10+ shells), you can destroy even stationary heavies in 1-2 volleys.

If anything, arty is a bit underwhelming against lighter targets, as lack of spread and damage radius means you can't do very much to a spread-out blob of cheap units - certainly less than in WEE.

Best wishes,
Daniel.
Nationality? - Russian.
Occupation? - No, no, just visiting.

FirmusPiett
Lieutenant

Postby FirmusPiett » Mon 6 May 2013 16:51

QShadow wrote:How would it be if arty stays in its current status of damage dealing but would inflict treats like detracking?
I dont know if it alredy does, if so it either happens very rarely and the chance should be increased or I just dont recognize it : P

Shrapnels from artilleryfire can easily damage a tanks tracks (or ather tracked or also wheeled vehicles).

What do you think about that?

That makes sense considering the threat to tanks from artillery is things like broken optics and destruction/disablement of other delicate equipment onboard the tanks.
I would love to see a T-80U get its track thrown off or a stabilisation malfunction as it charges towards my or my teammate's lines.

johnyoga
Sergeant

Postby johnyoga » Mon 6 May 2013 16:54

FirmusPiett wrote:
QShadow wrote:How would it be if arty stays in its current status of damage dealing but would inflict treats like detracking?
I dont know if it alredy does, if so it either happens very rarely and the chance should be increased or I just dont recognize it : P

Shrapnels from artilleryfire can easily damage a tanks tracks (or ather tracked or also wheeled vehicles).

What do you think about that?

That makes sense considering the threat to tanks from artillery is things like broken optics and destruction/disablement of other delicate equipment onboard the tanks.
I would love to see a T-80U get its track thrown off or a stabilisation malfunction as it charges towards my or my teammate's lines.

Yes, thank you!

I am not asking us to return to the WEE days when arty screwed up the game mechanics...

And, again, thank you too all of you who have responded to this thread. :)

Marc

ThorFB
Sergeant First-Class

Postby ThorFB » Mon 6 May 2013 16:59

Vasily Krysov wrote:
A unarmord soviert CV on open field. I had 3x M109 (German Version) and 2 LARS, after two volleies, that vehicle was stuned ...but no other damage
I think thats boring ....its better to throw some stones than shoting with something like that

Was the LARS firing at minimum range? if it wasn't shooting at minimum range or Rmin*1.5 you'll find that rocket arty has no real hitting power. The M109's aren't terribly accurate either, should have two batteries of 3. Or use the M110...

there was a hit next to that vehicle (mabey one tank length next to it)
Thats way to underpowert

I agree tanks shouldnt be killed by arty. Beside a direct hit, but thats only luck.

But killing unarmord vehicles is a must otherwise arty is good for nothing

johnyoga
Sergeant

Postby johnyoga » Tue 7 May 2013 03:46

And, this thread will die out with Eugen doing nothing about this. Why? Laziness or distraction. If left so ineffective, take long range arty out of the game completely. Replace with, say, Engineers which can lay mines and wire, both for a cost. :)

Marc

ThorFB wrote:
Vasily Krysov wrote:

there was a hit next to that vehicle (mabey one tank length next to it)
Thats way to underpowert

I agree tanks shouldnt be killed by arty. Beside a direct hit, but thats only luck.

But killing unarmord vehicles is a must otherwise arty is good for nothing

Guddi
Corporal

Postby Guddi » Tue 7 May 2013 04:21

Keep the Arty as it is. Buying four MRLRS or four MISTA´s is not strategy ist low behavoir. I played a couple of games were Players hat a bunch of Arty in there base but nothing around. As i aproached to the arty they said "I knew that the pact is op"... :lol:

Arty Players are mostly so low :lol:

katt
Lieutenant General

Postby katt » Tue 7 May 2013 04:43

ThorFB wrote:Have you ever seen how arty effects on a battlefield?

Mabey tanks will survive, but the crew isnt fit for action after such a strike
mabey in WEE arty was to strong but now its the other way round.

Even not only on tanks also on lighter units.
Only against inf its is usable.

Not even tanks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrubDDcygb4

Actually in W:EE, artillery was fine. v: The only issue was that you could order 12 AuF1s and demolish the enemy with a massive weight of fire, which has been removed with the new deck system. Small batteries of 3-4 guns couldn't and can't affect the outcome of a battle too severely, and now with interdiction aircraft like F-111 and MiG-23 even less so.

SPHs have received a fairly useless nerf that makes them entirely impotent against even lightly armoured vehicles like BTR-60, and exposed infantry, when the only nerf they needed was their availability and possibly consumption of supply.

Bring artillery back to WEE's level of damage and ROF, but keep current consumption of supply points and overall availability and they'll be fairly balanced.
人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人◕ ‿‿ ◕人

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”