Highway to Oslo plane spam

nuNce
Corporal

Highway to Oslo plane spam

Postby nuNce » Wed 8 May 2013 00:50

Was playing a 2vs2 with a mate today. Highway to Oslo, we just start the match and 5 bombers come our way and pave the main road making 1k points in 5 seconds. Nothing that one could do to stop them since even by stopping the AAs there was no time, nor way to react (since the AAs were under attack). It's not the first time that this happens, and I think it is a totally lame and unfair strategy, since it requires no skills, nor ability (except making a few test to see where roughly the enemy force will be at the time your planes attack) and there is no easy way to counter it without compromising every single game you play where the spam doesn't occur. The only way I see to fix this (and some other problems that come on other maps, similar to this) is not to make planes available during the first 30s or 1m of playing.

zebtucker
Lieutenant

Re: Highway to Oslo plane spam

Postby zebtucker » Wed 8 May 2013 00:58

stop forming big blobs and get some AA / scouts or air of your own :lol:

Soyaman
Sergeant Major

Postby Soyaman » Wed 8 May 2013 00:59

You could instead not make hordes of units and send them down the main road?

You know, recon first, followed by Command Vehicles to capture a reinforcement zone and THEN get your units?

I really don't like Highway because of the reasons you just mentioned. It's a head-to-head clash game that involves little to no skill or tactical knowledge at all.
Get AA and react faster is my best advice.

However I do like the idea of no planes in the first few seconds. Or at least reduce their vision.

Sukha
Corporal

Postby Sukha » Wed 8 May 2013 01:03

This is such an old strat, everyone worth their salt will either send AA as their first units down the road or send AA+SEAD planes at the enemy in the beginning of a game...

The fact that you had to come to forums to cry about such crap and not think of a solution is just...
WARGAME: AirLand Battle
BUSHGAME: SwampTree Skirmish

Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hidden Gunman » Wed 8 May 2013 01:09

It's a bit of a 'fact of life' - airstrike on identified approach routes.

Don't blob, recon and aa first - if you see them coming stop your aa to at least have a go at hitting them.

And...push fast afterwards...they should have a vulnerability in the first few minutes of the game due to the cost of the aircraft.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

trotskygrad
General

Postby trotskygrad » Wed 8 May 2013 01:20

buy a pocket interceptor
NEXT TIME I SEE A DAMN FLAMEWAR INVOLVING DARTH-LAMPSHADE, FROSTPOOKY, LONERIFLE, FADE2GRAY, TROTSKYGRAD AND/OR ANYONE INVOLVED IN A DISCUSSION BETWEEN THEM I'M GOING TO HAND OUT BANS TO ANYONE USING ANYTHING LOOKING REMOTELY LIKE AN AD-HOMINEM

Yorkie
Staff Sergeant

Postby Yorkie » Wed 8 May 2013 01:30

I think no one has gotten the point the OP is making, and that is at the start of the game the OPFOR are sending carpet bombers to the spawn points.

But I could be wrong, I only read and see what I think is there.
You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Floppar
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Floppar » Wed 8 May 2013 01:33

It maybe worked a few times - true but if you have some AA right from the beginnig (Roland/Avenger/Stnger) and also one or two Fighter-Jets - the attack is more than useless!

Also you could not put all your units i a row this is pretty good made for this kind of attack!

Its the same withe a T-55 spam attack - that also works good on Oslo/Hell

Jrdn
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Jrdn » Wed 8 May 2013 04:09

That tactic got me once, the first time I'd seen it used - some clever chap on nato sent a Corsair my way on Ostersund, dropped napalm on the road junction which damaged and panicked pretty much all my units.

Needless to say I'm never letting that happen again.
You need to be careful about unit movement.
On the bright side it means they've spent most of their points on jets so don't have a ground force.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Wed 8 May 2013 04:32

I personally feel it's a bit too effective, and I don't think there's much to be done cost-effectively. The problem is you have to counter it without making it such that by applying the counter you don't really hurt yourself. The map is very much about getting to the key areas first, and even a slight delay can cause you pretty major grief. Pretty much anything that counters this strategy either involves large initial investment in interceptors or a slow start... both of which will hurt you badly if the rush doesn't come.

It's very hard to find an acceptable solution. If you counter it and it doesn't happen you've wasted a lot of resources or time, and if it does happen you get bombed! NATO have much less of a problem as they have several routes to the target, but I expect it to become a "thing" sooner or later.

Also - 1975 deck, 9 corsairs, that's a lot of napalm for not many points (45 points/plane) and even with a lot of intercepters most will get through and there's no way you're driving down that road. With the whole road nuked Pact are getting nowhere fast without helicopters. You might even be able to get Foxtrot before them. Just sayin'.

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”