Destruction is still broken

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Destruction is still broken

Postby Tigga » Wed 8 May 2013 01:05

Hasn't gone away! It's actually worse, given the greatly reduced availability of artillery not even giving that advantage to the guy holding more income. Had a game earlier where I held an income advantage 9-6, had a kills advantage... but nothing was happening. The other guy wasn't going to attack me because he had nothing to gain from it. I wasn't going to attack him, because I had nothing to gain from it. About 35 minutes in I got bored, attacked, and, as is to be expected, lost. It's not because I don't know how to attack, it's because the only way to attack is into areas he already holds all the buildings and treelines in... and because attacking will generally lose you points, even if you gain (pointless) ground.

My solution? Double the target points, give me my income as points every 10 seconds. In my game that would mean that after half an hour I'd have recieved 1620 points, my opponent 1080. Given kills were ~650-500 (in my favour) the score would have been: 2270-1580. I'd have had to wait 13 minutes 31 seconds to actually win if there were no more scores, but my opponent would have seen this and actually have been forced to try and win the game rather than sit on his backside all day.
Last edited by Tigga on Wed 8 May 2013 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Apocalypse31
First Sergeant

Re: Destruction is still broken

Postby Apocalypse31 » Wed 8 May 2013 01:07

Arty spam the crap out of his defended areas?

It seems to be the only way.

Attacking in this game is starting to remind me of something from World War One.
RLTW

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Postby Dimonay » Wed 8 May 2013 01:09

I was really hoping that the new game mode (if it's good) would be ranked instead of destruction :(

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Wed 8 May 2013 01:10

TOS-1 Burantino.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Wed 8 May 2013 01:11

Apocalypse31 wrote:Arty spam the crap out of his defended areas?

It seems to be the only way.

Attacking in this game is starting to remind me of something from World War One.

This was the solution in W:EE, though it rarely worked even then. The reduced availability of arty and the seeming reduction in supplies (not done the sums) makes it not really feasable. The income advantage doesn't translate into an artillery advantage.

Drang wrote:TOS-1 Burantino.

It's not a solution if only one faction has it.

controlvolume
First Sergeant

Postby controlvolume » Wed 8 May 2013 01:11

Ummm clearly you just need to be better at the game????

heh

DochDoch
Sergeant

Postby DochDoch » Wed 8 May 2013 01:14

Use smoke.
DochDoch Wargame Youtube Channel at: http://www.youtube.com/user/DochDochGames?feature=guide
Sponsored by Kent Game Guides at: http://www.KentGameGuides.com

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Wed 8 May 2013 01:18

fundamental issue is that holding sectosr doesn't actually make you win the game. that's why economy is the far better mode. ideally we'd have some mixture of destruction and economy....or somehow make economy the de-facto "default" mode
Last edited by naizarak on Wed 8 May 2013 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

Swift
Staff Sergeant

Postby Swift » Wed 8 May 2013 01:19

I heartedly agree. Unfortunately I can't wholeheartedly agree because every time destruction messes up my game like this a small part of my heart dies. It's horrible.

CoH Victory points for great honour and success.

naizarak wrote: ideally we'd have some mixture of destruction and economy....or somehow make economy the de-factor "default" mode

yes

Sukha
Corporal

Postby Sukha » Wed 8 May 2013 01:22

I saw this problem as soon as I started playing 1v1's in this game.

Any game with serious 1v1 makes you want to attack to win.
This game rewards rush to a position and turtle a lot! After initial rush for the zones no one feels inclined to take any more ground due to 0 reward for taking and 0 consequences for not having that ground...

The OP is absolutely right and the solution he is proposing is the same solution I came up with the first time I played 1v1, it just seems natural. I actually thought its how it works until I found out territory gives no VP, made me confused as hell lol.

PS. I played a ton of 1v1 and 2v2 ranked COH in my days of glory.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 8 May 2013 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”