National Pride & The Nation Bonus

Toppopia
Corporal

Re: National Pride & The Nation Bonus

Postby Toppopia » Wed 8 May 2013 04:32

Destraex wrote:wow did not knowabout prototypes being locked to national decks.
If I create say an all british deck of my own will it allow me to add prototypes until i add other nations units?

If you choose say the Danish as your deck bonus, you get Danish prototypes. So that means the deck can only contain danish units.

And if you choose the 'All' option, you get no prototypes.

AntiCommie
Corporal

Postby AntiCommie » Wed 8 May 2013 05:00

I would still like to see a better bonus. The us/ussr also get prototypes and generally theirs are better. If the Germans are supposed to be the heavy armor deck, why not give them a small bonus when using all German units, like a speed, rof, or health bonus. Not something drastic, but enough where a leo2 from a German deck will beat a leo2 from a mixed deck. I'm sure the devs have an idea what each nations focus is, so they can cater the bonuses to that focus. I could also see bonuses given to detection or stealth. Basically, a small stats boost for your nations focus units.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 8 May 2013 05:38

Rath wrote:You get access to prototype units, very useful to say the least!

The prototype units available to several minor nations lack a lot of enticement.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Flieger
Lieutenant General

Postby Flieger » Wed 8 May 2013 05:47

colonelgeek wrote:The fact of the matter is, even with ~800 units, there just aren't enough to fully flesh out all the minor nations; so why are all of us war-gamey men and women who always strive for realism, getting so up in arms about an issue that the developers themselves have said was done for gameplays sake to add flavor to each faction?

Because there is a difference in coping with the actual weaknesses of a nation's military as they really were, and coping with the arbitrarily imposed limitations.

Striving for the (in)famous asymmetrical balance can surely include emphasizing certain historical strengths of a national deck in order to make up for its historical weaknesses. This is an important aspect if EUG really wanted national decks to work.

Colonel Sanders
Private

Postby Colonel Sanders » Wed 8 May 2013 06:31

There definetly should be bonuses to national decks but it should be simpler in the sense that when you go to create a deck it should ask if you want to create a national deck. I don't know if exclusive units is the way to go about this bonus, maybe increased stats or price reduction would be better.

Rico
Private First-Class

Postby Rico » Wed 8 May 2013 07:56

colonelgeek wrote:Somewhere down the line it seems we forgot that wargame's multiplayer was never about making National Decks, but about making the best deck to suit the situation. As such, I really question if it was such a good idea to create Nation Bonuses.

I dislike it because Australia isn't in the game, so to make my country (and thus have patriotism) I have to make my own deck with units from all over, which means I miss the bonus. Seriously they need to add Aussies, we're one of the few countries to be involved in every conflict the US (and almost every UK) has been in. Heck I'll make the textures myself if they'd like! It's not like I'm biased or anything lol :lol:

Kin-Luu
Captain

Postby Kin-Luu » Wed 8 May 2013 08:04

I like the general idea of national decks and natinal boni.

But I do not like the current implementation, and I do not like the idea of prototype units beeing locked to national decks.

What I would like to see is that national decks get a buff to the activation points, and to unit availability, as well as some "flair" bonus.

For example, the west german deck should get an availability bonus to mech. inf. (like +30%), a availability bonus to tanks (like +50%) and each tank slot should only cost 1 activation point.

Spam ALL the tanks.

But oh well, I am dreaming.

popkiev
Sergeant

Postby popkiev » Wed 8 May 2013 08:09

I like the current system. I know that I'm handicapped for playing minor nations but it's fun nonetheless.

colonelgeek
Corporal

Postby colonelgeek » Wed 8 May 2013 10:47

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for keeping the discussion nice and civil! It's nice to see that this topic hasn't degenerated into petty bickering. :mrgreen:

And it seems that most of you are in overwhelmingly in favor of the national deck bonus (even buffing it!) so i stand corrected.

Kin-Luu wrote:I like the general idea of national decks and natinal boni.

But I do not like the current implementation, and I do not like the idea of prototype units beeing locked to national decks.

What I would like to see is that national decks get a buff to the activation points, and to unit availability, as well as some "flair" bonus.

For example, the west german deck should get an availability bonus to mech. inf. (like +30%), a availability bonus to tanks (like +50%) and each tank slot should only cost 1 activation point.

Spam ALL the tanks.

But oh well, I am dreaming.

I have to say I fully agree. I'd love to put some of the prototype units into my mixed deck, and right now the activation point bonus just isn't big enough to compensate for playing a national deck "fairly".

But I suppose the question we should be asking is: Should it be fair? Should a NATO player with a mixed deck have the same chances as an equally competent Polish Pact Player? Or should he win 9 times out of 10? And vice versa.

Having the bonus implies the former to me, but if so, we're a long way off from achieving Deck to Deck balance between national and mixed Decks.

Kin-Luu
Captain

Postby Kin-Luu » Wed 8 May 2013 10:51

Two guys with specialized decks, should have more tools and options available to them, than two guys with a mixed, generalist type of deck.